MSP ECU -- Part number?

KrayzieFox

:
01 MP3 Turbo
I'm trying to get my hands on a MSP ECU, but I'm not sure which one to get. There appears to be a couple different ones, the MSP0-18-881 and the FSAE-18-881, FSAE-18-881a,b,&,c.

I talked to Jason at onlinemazdaparts and he said the MSP0-18-881 was a discontinued version and replaced by the FSAE-18-881 and a,b,c flashes. However, I talked to SpicyorangeMSP who's doing the ECU flashes and he says the MSP0-18-881 is the only true MSP ECU, and I found a couple FS threads in which I noticed the same part number in the FS threads.

So which one do I get? All I'm trying to do is safely run the SS AFC on my MP3.

Fsae is a ford number. That is not the correct part. I'll call my dealer tom and see if the rest is accurate. I would just grab the msp ecu. You should try sending a pm to magnump5 iirc he is running the ss in a p5.

FSAE was originally shipped with the car, some very early MSPs got reflashed at the port with the MSP programming, thus some MSP owners have these ECUs

BUT, there's also P5s rolling around that supposedly have the same numbered ECUs :confused:

anyway, because of the SLOOOOW process of flashing these ECUs (about 30 mins), mazda decided it was more efficient to replace the ECUs at the port outright and "remanufacture" the original ECUs (for other cars, whatever)

so later MSPs came with the MSP0 ECUs... many 03s came with MSP0-18-881A and all 03.5s came with MSP0-18-881B (some of these may exist on 03s also, not sure because there's no documentation on this)... both of these came with original flashes, so the "C" flash (only update there ever was) is the hessitation fix

buying the MSP ECUs from mazda after the MSP came out were also MSP0 ECUs, but when you buy a MSP ECU from mazda now, it will be an MSP0-18-881R-0B... a reman ECU... the stopped selling new MSP ECUs about 2 years ago

anyway, if you ever wind up with an FSAE ECU, the only way you can find out if its an MSP ECU is by checking the calibration number with an OBD2 tool... some tools can't do that or have trouble doing so... of course the only tool that is guaranteed to do this is mazda's or ford's

I'm running an MSP0 in mine off of 03.5 #1321 from a junk yard because I don't want to take the gamble of the FSAE :)

Edwin, you rock. Where do you get all this info?! Thank you, Ill be dealing with SpicyorangeMSP so he can reflash the NA ES ECU to MSP0 ECU spec.

And I found a EEC-V ECU plug so I can take care of that VTCS CEL as well. Thanks for the help on both of these issues (2thumbs)

badass. any way to find out of the ECU is flashed? doesn't really matter i guess cuz im running the FTC. but it seems like the timing advance would be nice to have cuz i could just dial it out

Back