MS3 runs 14 flat @ 101 mph in latest Car and Driver

bast525

:
'07 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Just thought I'd share this. Latest issue of C&D, May '07 issue, MS3 on the cover along with other ~$25k hot compacts.

Test driver was able to run a 0-60 of 5.4, 0-100 of 13.6, and 1/4 mile of 14 flat at 101 mph. This was in a fully loaded GT with navigation so you know it had a few pounds over a regular Sport model.

Fastest 'official' (I say that sarcastically) time recorded yet, and fastest magazine time for sure.

By the way, the car was put in a comparo with the GTI, WRX TR, Sentra SE-R Spec V, and Mini Cooper S (the Civic Si and Cobalt SS were missing for whatever reason), and won hands down (surprised??).

Just thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Hi! (friday) Another member, Donas64, already scanned that whole article. Thought you might want to take a look.

Anyways, this forum's great, and although I don't have a MS3 yet, it is really growing on me, and hopefully I'll have one soon. :)

sorry I looked around a bit but wasn't sure where it might have been posted.

Mods delete this thread if it's redundant, no problem there.

This is the article that has me taking a serious look at this incredible car...the only thing missing is AWD...the MS6 has it...wish the 3 did too.

mroffshore said:
This is the article that has me taking a serious look at this incredible car...
Yes, here is a list of incredible cars:

Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Murcielago, Mazdaspeed 3, Bugatti Veyron, McLaren F1.

Did I forget to include the Mazdaspeed 6?

Last edited:
Now if Mazda would just put this engine in the Miata already, so I can have a lightweight sports car with this kind of power, not a sedan or a hatchback, I'll be happy. I'm waiting on the the Mazdaspeed Miata, which will own the 3 and the 6 in EVERY aspect. :)

MS6S2K said:
I'm waiting on the the Mazdaspeed Miata, which will own the 3 and the 6 in EVERY aspect. :)

Except if you have to take more than one person with you and want to transport more than a toothbrush. ;)

matsuda said:
Yes, here is a list of incredible cars:

Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Murcielago, Mazdaspeed 3, Bugatti Veyron, McLaren F1.

Did I forget to include the Mazdaspeed 6?

Whoa, be careful not to let any of that dripping sarcasm get on your clothing. It'll leave a nasty psychological stain. I'm sure he just thinks the MS3 is "incredible" for the price. I do too.

Xyclone said:
Except if you have to take more than one person with you and want to transport more than a toothbrush. ;)

Ummm. Weren't we talking like enthusiasts about performance? I don't see where that has anything to do with it, but it was your only argument, so I guess you had no choice but to break away from the actual subject at hand, and brought practicality into it. LOL

Someone is hating on the Miata. SHAME ON YOU!!!!! It's part of the family here. If they put this engine and we see a 2600lb car as powerful as the Speed 3 and 6, would that upset you? Sports cars are supposed to be faster and handle better, and it hasn't been that way. It's time for the real original built sports cars to get some love, not just these economy cars that are hopped up, although that in itself is great too, and I'm not complaining. For me my Mazdaspeed 6= DAILY DRIVER/BEATER. My S2000= ENTHUSIAST CAR. Love them both, but one is a sports car, the other is not. Even if it's as fast as one, it's still a hopped up economy 4 door sedan any way you slice it, and the Speed 3 is a hopped up economy hatch. ;)

Last edited:
MS6S2K said:
Ummm. Weren't we talking like enthusiasts about performance? I don't see where that has anything to do with it, but it was your only argument, so I guess you had no choice but to break away from the actual subject at hand, and brought practicality into it. LOL

Someone is hating on the Miata. SHAME ON YOU!!!!! It's part of the family here. If they put this engine and we see a 2600lb car as powerful as the Speed 3 and 6, would that upset you? Sports cars are supposed to be faster and handle better, and it hasn't been that way. It's time for the real original built sports cars to get some love, not just these economy cars that are hopped up, although that in itself is great too, and I'm not complaining. For me my Mazdaspeed 6= DAILY DRIVER/BEATER. My S2000= ENTHUSIAST CAR. Love them both, but one is a sports car, the other is not. Even if it's as fast as one, it's still a hopped up economy 4 door sedan any way you slice it, and the Speed 3 is a hopped up economy hatch. ;)

I agree. The S2000 and Miata are true sports cars, while the MS3, being FWD, and having four doors, not a true sports car. It is an economy hatch... on steroids. (rockon) The only reason I argued with you is because you said in EVERY aspect. A lot of people can only afford 1 car. After I give my Tundra to my brother, I am hoping to get an MS3. I test drove an S2000 and loved it, but it is just too impractical for a daily driver. Anyways, great forum you have here, just wanted to explain myself. (yes)

MS6S2K said:

Man you must be rich if you consider an MS6 a "beater" and an "economy sedan"

I'd consider it a near-lux sport sedan.

mroffshore said:
This is the article that has me taking a serious look at this incredible car...the only thing missing is AWD...the MS6 has it...wish the 3 did too.

Gotta keep the weight down.

Yea if the ms3 had awd it would just be another wrx/evo wanna-be. While it would be interesting to see it in awd, I think the fwd keeps the car in a class of its own, for the most part...

Back