MS Miata flyer

:'( why, why, WHY !? the BP is going bye bye ? i hope they don't replace the engine with some Ford crap...

hmm i read on miata.net that they're gonna have another 1.6liter inline-4 called MRZ or something...in the ibuki, it's combined w/ a hybrid system for 180HP and 160lb./ft

Keith@FP said:
All Miatas are "MX-5 Miatas". It's that simple. It's the name of the car. North America is the only market that tacks the "Miata" on the end. For most of the world it's simply an MX-5. For Japan, it's a Eunos Roadster.

This is the last gasp for the BP. Don't expect to see it in the next generation Miata when that appears in a year or two. But for a low-volume halo car that tries to give a little shine to an end-of-life model, there's no reason to go for a radical engine change.

Keith

True enough. Point taken. MX-5 is inherit to the car's name. So, the thing I am wondering is with Mazda's attempt to start using the kind of Euro type naming (i.e. the 6 and the 3) will we see the Miata become the 5 or will they just wait until they come out with a redesign and change the name then? I would say it's likely, but then again there is the RX-8 and they wouldn't dare getting rid of the RX name. At least I hope they wouldn't.

Some of the scaremongers in the Miata community claim the Miata name is going away due to litigation with the Miyata bicycle manufacturer. We'll have to wait to see how true that is. I'd be surprised to see it as there's too much value in the Miata name for Mazda to drop it. They wanted people to forget the 626 and the Protege never got a stellar reputation for the normal models, so it's not surprising to see those names disappear.

The car's always been called the MX-5 Miata in North America. It's been in the brochures, on the websites and even on the badge on the back of the car. Mostly it's just Mazda that calls it that, which is why you noticed it on Mazda press releases. My new book is even called "Mazda Miata MX-5 Performance Projects" (yes, it's backwards, blame my publisher).

The BP is getting retired because it's an old design. There are better engines out there now. It doesn't make all that much power and in the latest guise it can't even swallow all that much boost. And the BP has been used in Fords for years.

Keith

Oy, litigation. The Miata has been around since what? 88 or 89? The Miyata bicycle company is just now having a problem with it? Silly. Well they can call it the Eunos Roadster over here and I still love it.

Out of curiosity spawned by this convo. I went to go look at the current model lineup. To think that Mazda only makes 4 actual models that are classified as cars and Hondas just about the same. American companies make so many different models and then the monsters like GM have each individual branch making competing models in the exact same class and price range. Then they wonder why the Japanese models have stronger sales in those classes. Make one car, make it well and it's amazing what can happen. Oh and quit putting all your production capital in to 22 different types of sport utilities none of which are suited to go off road.

Sorry to thread jack and go off subject. Just early morning rambling going on in my head.

Yeah, has anyone actually looked at the badging on their Miata?

The BP is a good motor but Mazda needs to get with the times and design something that can compete with Nissan and Honda.

The BP weighs around ~300-320 lbs whereas a Rover V8 weighs in at 320 lbs.

:wtf:

Last edited:
Honestly, I would never pay that for this car. I have driven Miatas (modded ones also) and I was not that impressed. I, on the other hand, agree with the S2K comments. I would buy the S2K, and dump 4-5 grand in it, and have one hell of a better car then the MX-5 MSP Miata. IMHO, that is. :D

It is a nice looking car, and fun to drive, but it has outlived its design. This is Mazda's attempt, IMHO, to take the car out with a BANG. Just like they did, or attempted, with the MSP Pro. :D

If it wasn't for the miata the s2000 wouldn't exist.(bow) just like the slk, z3, boxster, mrs, etc.

I don't know guys... I think Miatas (like Z3s and Boxsters) are kind've girly... hope I'm not offending anyone here but... I'm reminded when Ralphe pointed out to some kid on the Sopranos that a Boxster is a Porsche in panties! I think the same goes for this thing... no matter how much hp they give it! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's fun to drive with the top down and all... definitely NO practicality... not even a little!! People who buy this car obviously have a lot of money since it's not going to be their daily driver... hense, they can probably afford a better car! Lastly... MSP has a nice ring to it... MSM sucks balls!!!

Never driven one then, have you? :) Top up or top down, they're very capable little cars. If your priorities are towards handling instead of impressing your neighbours, it's hard to beat without going to an Elise. The MSP just can't compete on that level.

Keith

CHICO2003 said:
I don't know guys... I think Miatas (like Z3s and Boxsters) are kind've girly... hope I'm not offending anyone here but... I'm reminded when Ralphe pointed out to some kid on the Sopranos that a Boxster is a Porsche in panties! I think the same goes for this thing... no matter how much hp they give it! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's fun to drive with the top down and all... definitely NO practicality... not even a little!! People who buy this car obviously have a lot of money since it's not going to be their daily driver... hense, they can probably afford a better car! Lastly... MSP has a nice ring to it... MSM sucks balls!!!

My Miata is my daily driver. I'm 18. I don't have a lot of money.

Do you even know what the Boxster is capable of?

Lastly... if I had the $20k+ to spend on a Miata like MSP owners spend on their FWD wonders, you can be sure as hell that it will be a hell of a lot faster than a hell of a lot of cars.

The MSP need not apply.

CHICO2003 said:

It's like you have some homo-erotic issues - it's people who think like you are explaining who should probably go ahead and come out of the Closet.

CHICO2003 said:

You, sir are an uninformed asshat who apparently needs a car that adds to his manlyhood, or lack thereof.

I have personally driven with subarus, evos, and many other cars of that nature, and lets just say their $30K beasts with plenty of mods were having a hard time, or were unable to keep up with my miata. My 1.6L engine is stock. If you have to worry about people thinking you're less of a man because of the car you drive...then you must not be able to drive well, cause it's not what you driive, but how you drive it.

you=ricer, homophobe, wangfully-challenged asshat:D

CHICO2003 said:

what the smoke r u talking about ? i think u're the one that's kind've girly. if i got the MSM it WOULD be my daily driver. my old miata was my daily driver. people said it was a chic-car, but it was more of a chic-magnet. practicality ? may not be practical to a family of 4, but to a student without much of an income, then it is. it's cheap on gas and it looks good and is fun to drive. haha another variant of ass- : assclown !

Back