Mrlilguy CDFP Review

Sierra117

:
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
To my knowledge, on this forum, there are few if any actual reviews of the Mrlilguy CDFP beyond "OMG itz haxorz l337" or "OMG its not CP-e it suxxorz". Not to say that these are the reviews in and of themselves, but most of the mention of any CDFP on here is treated as "this is what the Dashhawk shows", "it got rid of fuel cut", or "manufacturer v vendor [/thread]". So, I'm going to do my best to accurately represent my experience with the Mrlilguy CDFP.

I spent last Friday evening with Jon (Mrlilguy) and another local MS3 owner helping him test out some pumps and purchasing my own. We tried to get more than just four done, but as with most installs, those little insignificant things that got in the way did, and we were only able to test four, two of which were for me and the other local MS3 owner.

To start with, Jon is a pretty cool guy, and he knows what he is talking about with these pumps. As far as sales and such go, I would not hesitate to purchase from him at all. However, this isn't about him, its about the pump. That's why you are all reading this.

The pump works. Its that simple. There is no debate, no arguments, no he said she said. It simply works. You can take your "it wasn't flow tested" or "it hasn't been on any serious high power cars" or "his car blew up" and shove it. I don't care about a data sheet generated on some computer, I care about what actually works when installed, and this pump does. My car is only mildly modded with an intake and catback, and I am waiting on a testpipe, then ordering a downpipe. I have yet to see fuel cut, but I can safely say now, after seeing these pumps in action, I wont hit fuel cut. As far as power results, I cannot say for sure as I do not poses a highly accurate butt dyno. However, the car now pulls clean and hard all the way past 6000 rpm up to redline. Before this pump, I would run out of "oomph" and fall flat around 5200-5300. I'd have to shift right around there to be able to keep the momentum up. As of last Friday night, the car will pull straight to redline with no loss of power up top. I cannot say that the pump adds power. However, it 100% supports the power you have, and allows you to use the full range of the motor. After driving my car with the ability to take full use of our redline, even if for nothing else the CDFP is worth it.

As for a more modded MS3, the other MS3 out on Friday had an intake and full turbo back (Vibrant DP back+corksport downpipe). I rode with him on Thursday night and we did a few pulls, and he was fuel cutting nasty. It was fuel cut, not boost cut. It felt like every few hundred RPM or so, the car just lurched forward like it he had hit the brakes. From outside the car, another MS3 in our group said it was audible how he was cutting, and visible that the car was just dying. I did not ride with him after the installation of the CDFPs, but from my view point, he was not hitting fuel cut anymore, that much was clear. I can't speak on if he pulled harder or felt anymore power, that's up to him to talk about.

We come up to our next major questions: does it last? Well, I've only had the pump on for around 350 miles. However, two hundred of those miles were spent in a single day of pretty hard driving, with little cool down time between starts and stops. I'll explain any of that to anyone who cares to know in a PM. For lack of a better term, it was a quasi rally scenario. The pump, for that period, held up magnificently, and several time that was at speeds nearing redline the top of fifth. However, there is more than just me running the pump. I am well aware about the handful of pump failures experienced early on, but I feel that these were isolated incidents with the pump manufacturer, and that the situation has been remedied. It is up to the other pump owners to speak up on their own pump reliability experiences, but so far so good on my end.

So we reach our final question: do I need one? Short answer is yes, end of discussion. More complex answer is, if you want to get the full potential out of your motor, than yes. If you plan on really running the motor hard, yes. If you are going to stay perfectly stock, save for maybe a K&N drop in, and that's it, then no, you probably do not need one. However, you will want one, especially if you want to see red line while still making good power. If you have plans to go further than an intake, then I would recommend one without hesitation. Even if you are just sticking where I am at right now, with a catback and intake, I still very much suggest you get the CDFP. If you are planning on going full turboback (like I am), already have a turboback, or are looking at a top mount or front mount, I really really suggest you get one.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to wrote this up and share with the community. It would be interesting to see a log of fuel pressure if you have that capability.
-enganear

I'll see if I can borrow a Dashhawk around here. My Aeroforce can moniter, but I can't log it on a nifty graph like the Dashhawk.

thanks again jon for helping us on this project and bringing it to the community

How long does the install take?

We were joking around and it was dark, still took about fifteen minutes working on two cars at the same time. Not long at all.

ken said:
thanks again jon for helping us on this project and bringing it to the community

(mswerd)

Conso said:
savin up for one, thx for the review hehe

No problemo. Just wanted to see some real reviews out there on this pump.

AutoX said:
So how much is this pump? And whats involved in getting one?

The link Jon provided has the info, but basically you just send him your stock pump, he replaces the internals, drives around on it so you know it won't seize, and sends it back. The core replacement option simply has him sending out a fully built pump, and you return your core for a refund. It was a bit easier for me because I was local, but thats the basic process.

How long does it take to get it back? Who is responsible for shipping? How long is the warrantee/guarantee? Please explain the complete process from beginning to end, including fees/costs, so that we possible buyers can be more informed. Thanks, looks to be a great upgrade!

nikko

You'll have to ask Mrlilguy to clear all that info up for you, as stated, I am local to him, so we just did it at his house. All the information is available on his website, but my understanding is that your car will be down for around 48 hours for the entire process. But, according to the website:

mrlilguycdfps.com said:
No. We guarantee that every pump sent out has been proven to work and run properly, before it leaves our hands. You’ll see the videos posted up in the Video section of the site proving this, thus, if a pump seizes as soon as you put it on your car, I cannot warranty it. I guarantee all pumps are in working condition before they are sent out. Others have tried and failed, but I, being the founder of the solution for the DISI pumps, am very familiar with the caution and attentiveness that these particular pumps require. Have no doubt that you will receive a working upgraded cam driven fuel pump, and video with your name on it.

and

For $549:

- A pump upgrade performed by mrlilguy, Jonathan Martin, the founder of the fueling solution for the DISI market
- Personalized videos of the pump performing before your pump ships to you
- Your stock pump internals if you would like to go back to stock, for any reason (You never will!)
- USPS Express Mail to your door.

For $899

- A complete pump assembly with the upgraded, high flow high volume internals, performed by mrlilguy, Jonathan Martin, the founder of the fueling solution for the DISI market
- A video of your specific pump performing on a 2007 Mazdaspeed3
- USPS Express Mail to your door.

I also offer a core-exchange program, which allows a consumer to purchase the $899 complete high flow cam driven fuel pump, and then return their factory supplied, Hitachi pump to us as a return, for $300 credit, netting a total cost of $599. Obviously, this is higher cost to the customer in comparison to the mail in upgrade, but we must charge a fee for borrowing against our inventory of Hitachi pump cores. With our pump core units out in the field, there is a possibility that we may run out of our inventory, which puts this business on hold. The $50 difference allows us to purchase more core units directly from Mazda if need be.

Last edited:
i know! that s*** it is bank. Will the AP or Pisani (sp) thing require a fuel pump upgrade if we go that route? CUz its about the same price.

*sigh* this hobby is getting pretty expensive :(

The best ones always are. Cars, guns, cocaine...

Shag said:
i know! that s*** it is bank. Will the AP or Pisani (sp) thing require a fuel pump upgrade if we go that route? CUz its about the same price.

I do no believe they will need one. However, I would not be surprised if Cobb came out with their own, or recomended one. No tuning at all is needed for the CDFP, all it does is provide the motor with the fuel it is asking for.

The best ones always are. Cars, guns, cocaine...

I do no believe they will need one. However, I would not be surprised if Cobb came out with their own, or recomended one. No tuning at all is needed for the CDFP, all it does is provide the motor with the fuel it is asking for.

understandable...but what im saying is...is it feasible to pay for this when the AP/other thing gets u the same performance (redline pulls) without a $550 pump...not bad mouthing the product at all...i actually think its a great find/invention...just trying to work out the dollars and cents like any smart business man.

Back