MPG's

How much are u guys filling up in gallons of gas? I was blinking on the last bar with less than 30 miles to go and it only took 8.9 gallons. I only fill it up until the pump stops. I'm getting between 35-40 mpg, I shift between 2.5k and 3k. Unless I need to speed up to get on the freeway.

The most I've ever put in is 8.4 gallons, but I don't like to risk running out of fuel, I'll usually fill up if I'm at the quarter-tank mark. I don't trust those "miles to empty" gauges anyway...I know the fuel economy numbers are almost always off, so I just assume that the miles to empty is off as well.

However, these days I typically fill it up daily. One day of commuting typically takes about half a tank of gas so I fill up every day at the same gas station that has the cheapest gas along my route. I think my limit on a single tank of gas would probably be around 320 miles, assuming I get good gas mileage. Better than our SUV, which we're lucky if it goes 200 miles and holds twice as much gas!

Most of you guys have brand new cars. When the motor breaks in (say 20-25,000 miles) it'll get better. My experience with Japanese cars is that the best gas mileage is at 60,000 when its fully broken in and it'll start declining over 120,000 miles.

YMMV<LOL>

John

I should be able to test your theory soon...I've got almost 10k miles on my car, and at the rate I drive, will probably have 20k by October! While I agree with the theory behind this, I'd like to see it in practice!

The most I've put in was 9.5 gallons, it had been saying 0 miles left for at least 10 miles. Was also the same fill up that I got 18mpg on. The nearest gas station to the track was 6 miles away ;)

finance's M2 sport has been getting 28-30 mpg with 80% local driving for her first 3 fill-ups... is this normal? seems like a lot of ppl are getting higher numbers...

No that's what I'm getting with 80% street driving. Display shows 28 but using the old school gallons / miles gave 30.

We drove up to Bodega Bay over the weekend with 4 adults. The two in the back are both about 300 pounds. Round trip came to 36MPG.
That included driving though San Francisco and across the Golden Gate bridge. It would have been higher without all the stop and go.

Fuel mileage on these cars is a little funny. I've had mine since September '11 and have nearly 19K miles on it now. It's a stick. Overall mileage (calculated, not indicated on the dash) is right at 36.9 MPG. The car has seen about a 80-20 mix of city and highway driving.

I have found that the car (weirdly) gets better MPG in around town driving than on the highway. Typical in-town MPGs are in the 38 to mid 39 range, vs. low to mid 30s on the highway. I've taken three long trips in it so far - once from NJ to Road Atlanta when it had less than 7K on it. Using the cruise control I saw not one, but several tanks in the high 20's. The next longish trip (NJ to WDC) saw me not using the cruise, rolling along at 72 MPH, and knocking back 38. Last weekend we took it to NC (1100 miles round trip), drove it between 70-72, didn't use the cruise, and saw mileage from 36 - 38.

I drive it like a little old man - rarely if ever rev it past 4000, typically shift at 3000, and skip gears like a mofo. There's no need to push it harder - it's just noise, not power, after 4000 or so.

Observations:

1. Higher highway speeds kill this car. While it will run to 100 plus, and will cruise all day at 80+, given the 10 to 20% drop in mileage I've observed, it is obviously working very hard to do so. I'm not sure that the addition of a more overdriven top gear will help, because I suspect that would drop the engine speed so far below the torque peak that efficiency will drop even further.

2. Cruise control kills this cars efficiency, which is a first for me. As far as I can tell, the thing is so marginally powered at highway speeds that any grade requires a lot of effort to climb. Since the cruise only wants to continue at the given speed, damn anything else, mileage suffers as it adds more power to compensate.

3. This thing is WAY sensitive to gas quality. We've got four street vehicles (the 2, a '90 Miata, '04 E350 with the V10, and a '00 Corolla) to compare from. All are driven by the same two people. Only one (the 2) seems to have gas vary from tank to tank dependent upon where it was filled. The others are not nearly so sensitive. (We won't talk about the other "primary" '90 Miata that gets 10 MPG at the track!) On the way home from NC last weekend we apparently got a load of questionable fuel on I95 in VA. Mileage for that tankful dropped to 34, and the car exhibited a weird, barely detectable surge at part-throttle. I filled at the known good gas station near home and went back out on the highway with no detectable driveability issues.

Last edited:
I hear you on the fuel quality. Shell + the Shell saver card = Win. I took a trip to GA last weekend and averaged 31mpg in my automatic which is about average for me but doing city driving the week before, I averaged 28mpg which is also around average for me in reference to city driving. I always shift at 3k RPM and go around 65-70 on the highway as I've also seen a huge drop in fuel efficiency when going 75+ mph.

Filled up today for the 2nd time - MPG came to 36.5 (MT). Run 70/30 hwy/city driving. Number is right where I needed it so I could justify buying the car. have a 50+ mile daily commute, & the gas savings covers about 65% of the the payment. Good mileage for the commute & the I play in my 2010 RX8 on the weekends. Can it get much better?

Garfcamen

My MPG and PPG

Here is my life-to-date mpg and ppg:

Attachments

• Mazda2mog01072011.gif
    Mazda2mog01072011.gif
    19 KB · Views: 206
39.5 first tank, 35.5 2nd tank (was letting people test drive it)

I got my 11 Sport w/ manual transmission back in August 10, just hit 15K miles on the clock and have fairly consistently hit 38 mpg. I've found that with ethenol blend gas mileage drops to the low 30s, but it doesn't matter if I use 87 without ethenol or 91 (premium) without ethenol, as long as the ethenol is absent she flirts with 40 mpg. I'm installing a K&N air filter which I have heard can bump mileage a little, I'll let you all know if that is true or not after it comes in.

I have no idea why, but I somehow got 44 mpg. I figured the pump just shut off early inflating the number, but I just went thru another tank and got my normal of 36.43.......................I was expecting it to be around 30 to make up for the 44.

I don't have a clue how I got 44. I was driving normally not trying at all to save gas. Weird.
My only guess is that the gas pump was screwed up & actually gave me more gas than the receipt said.
Too bad I can't remember where I bought it.

The pump shut off a bit early.
We get that in our fleet vehicles at work when the tank is not close to empty. If it is 1/2 to 3/4 full, the pumps shut off early from the foaming and pressure rise (we use quick-fill pressure type dispensers). The numbers will normalize. It is OK. This is why a running average is more accurate.

I'm installing a K&N air filter which I have heard can bump mileage a little, I'll let you all know if that is true or not after it comes in.

I'd be curious to see your results. In my experience the K & N filters have done nothing for mileage or power (on an otherwise stock motor). This is born out by installs totaling 400,000+ miles on a Nissan pick up, 200,000 + miles on a Toyota Corolla, and 100K or so on a street driven Miata. In each case there was no appreciable change to mileage. The big advantage I found was in costs - by not having to replace paper elements at my typical 10K intervals eventually the K & N worked out to have a cost savings.

I've also seen and dyno tested a K & N element on several low horsepower cars, including a ITC Toyota and my own SSM Miata. In both cases, back to back testing showed no improvement. I currently run a paper Wix element on the Miata and change it every twice per season (about every fifth race weekend.)

That's pretty much what I figured too. The cost of replacement would make the K&N worthwhile in the long haul, whether I got any gain in MPG or hp or not.

The pump shut off a bit early.
We get that in our fleet vehicles at work when the tank is not close to empty. If it is 1/2 to 3/4 full, the pumps shut off early from the foaming and pressure rise (we use quick-fill pressure type dispensers). The numbers will normalize. It is OK. This is why a running average is more accurate.

I never did have a big dropoff after that 44.27 mpg. I filled up next & got 36.43 and then today I filled up again & got 38.06.

The 38 was all commuting to work & around town really not trying much at all. Maybe I just naturally drive like an old geezer.

Back