MP5 FSDE, got a different tranny... but will it work??

apowell0224

:
'02 Protege5
Ordered a remanufactured 5 speed transmission from Man Trans Llc in Talahassee Florida. In the meantime i took mine out, When the freight truck arrived, the transmission i got had slight varriation to my own. But it has the same spline count and bolt pattern. So will it work? i need a hand identifying which car it came from if anyone knows

My Transmission Bell Housing:
temporary_zpsf8206617.jpg

The tranny i got. Theres two half circle cutouts at the bottom, but wont that let water inside? The inside of the bell housing is different as well.
temporary_zpsf0507b9d.jpg

Wanted to remove my rear cap and replace it with the other one because its a little bent. Couldnt do that because the gears inside are different. Looking inside my rear cap
temporary_zps5c74f6f6.jpg

And inside the rear cap of the reman tranny i got
temporary_zps3de2eb94.jpg

So Will i be safe installing this tranny? or did it come from a different car? i Dont have ABS, so maybe this one came from a car that did? or from a different manufacturer altogether?

"The tranny i got. Theres two half circle cutouts at the bottom, but wont that let water inside? The inside of the bell housing is different as well. "

If its like that I wouldn't try it. its better to be safe than sorry
. I have a 2002 p5 and my tranny gave up on me and I couldn't find a cheap one so I tried a tranny I found from a 02 626 5spd and it fit perfect.
The gear ratio is a bit lower so the gears are longer but in my opinion ithink it works way better and its much stronger then the protgs.
A lot cheaper too. I got mines for $250

"The tranny i got. Theres two half circle cutouts at the bottom, but wont that let water inside? The inside of the bell housing is different as well. "

If its like that I wouldn't try it. its better to be safe than sorry
. I have a 2002 p5 and my tranny gave up on me and I couldn't find a cheap one so I tried a tranny I found from a 02 626 5spd and it fit perfect.
The gear ratio is a bit lower so the gears are longer but in my opinion ithink it works way better and its much stronger then the protgs.
A lot cheaper too. I got mines for $250

You're very misinformed. Gears are not longer. 5th gear is not the others though.and 626 trans is not stronger.holes in the bottom of the bell housing was done to drop the main bearing support plate to change rod bearings without pulling motor, get a plug or fill it with silicone.There were a s*** ton of changes in the g series trans over the years but they're not that different bell housings do have different shapes especially coming off a kl. lots and lots of use less info on the g series in my head

I'm kind of thinking what op got is an f series trans, which will work with his original bell housing but they're not very strong by any means

F series is the one pulled out the car? or the reman is an F series? Both transmissions are labeled G560 on the bell housings.

VIN plate off the reman is:
1ZVLT20A6S5134054

Carfax says its from a 95 Ford Probe. What series tranny is it? and would i be safe installing it or do i need to return? The more i think about it the more im thinking i should have just sent my transmission out

It is the correct G series trans but honestly I would rebuild the one you have or look for a newer trans that has the same style gears. They changed them for a reason

If theres arent any downfalls to having this one i think id wanna keep it. Just as long as itll work well, other forums have said the se and gt models of the ford probe have a longer 5th gear. Which is kindof a pickup... but i guess well see. Ill post with results after the cars all rebuilt

Didn't know they changed the gears design wise

Unless you're going turbo I wouldn't worry about it. They used that trans with the klze which made 200 hp. There were so many updates to the gseries trans over the years they should have just did a total redo with the bj protgs

Back