MP3 struts ....

ok, I found out some more. Here's what they said about the clunk noises.

It was a service meeting with all the head techs in Canada.

TO shorten the story, one tech said he's experienced and tried everything that my dealer has already done as well. So, what he did last, was POWDER COAT the rear sway bar. By doing so, making it a little thicker, and therefore the crappy ass bushings fit better. So far, he says that it has lasted 3 months....no problems

Now I got a problem with this , why?......

Mazda at that meeting admitted that they STILL do not recognize this as being an official problem with the mp3's. I'm talking about the clunk, remember that. AND....here it comes..... because there are so few mp3's , they don't consider this to be a priority. Now, I have a VERY good source, this is a FACT. They just DON't care.

The district manager that came here is trying to get them to make a REAL fix, as this Powder Coat nonsense is still only temporary, and it's not the responsiblily of Mazda, rather it's up to the dealers to do this. now, this district manager seems like a good guy so far, but he is afterall, only one guy.

******* pathetic. We are still NOWHERE.

I said to my manager. Why the hell would I buy another Mazda, mazdaspeed or whatever with this kind of attitude from Mazda of Canada. He couldn't reply.

As for the struts, Mazda of Canada says, live with it, it's the way they are, tough luck. So, I said to my dealer....did they ever hear of grease? Why not just grease them.....because what I'm hearing is obviously something that needs grease. I'll find out more on that later

if your buying an MSP, beware...that's all I got to say.

Last edited:
I think you mean "powder coat". I've only heard the clunk a few times. But really and truly, I don't mind it all that much. You have a car that has a VERY stiff suspension. You have to expect that it isn't going to be totally quiet and ride like a Cadillac. I only hear the squeak when I go over speed bumps during the winter in the morning when I first start it up. Maybe your MP3 clunks are worse, because you are in Canada, but I doubt it. Some people are just more picky when it comes to their car. I'm not bashing you for it, that's just the way some people are, some people could care less. Is this clunking causing a degradation in your handling? Or is it just the noise that bothers you?

first off, I'm at work and in a hurry so I typed powder wrong .....how I did it twice....not sure :)

2nd. No, I'm not that type that would start crying about noises in the car. Heck, my seat, seatbelts, dash, and shifter all squeak too, bit i've never mentioned them have I.

My squeak from the shocks is bad enough that I can't hear the stereo without turning it past 20....I have the z828. The clunk is bad enough, that I can't have a normal conversation without yelling over it,or pausing when it happens, . And when it happens at it's worse, usually in the rain, I can actually feel it thumping underneath the car through my feet. The woman is like wtf is that in our car?

And yes, it does effect the handling of the car. Every time I get the bushings replaced, there is a huge difference in the rear end...much tighter. Other people here on the site have also said the same thing.

People may not even know that their bushings are effecting their handling. I never, until I started getting them replaced often. Some people have stated here that they can actually get under the car and move the sway bar with their hands because it's so loose....I haven't tried that yet.

I know I can, lean on the car, get her swaying side to side, and you can hear the clunk noise outside the car. Actually, you need a couple of people to do this...damn car is stiff.

I've driven past people on the road, and they can hear the struts making the noises going over dips. Rare, but it happens.

So no, I'm not just some anal person crying about his poor little blue car. There is a design flaw in the bushings, and something needs to be done. Struts, I'll live with it, but I'm convinced that proper lube would work.

And for the record, this is not the first high performance car I've ever driven or owned, or the first aftermarket suspension for that matter. And Ive never heard noises like this thing.....and no one else seems to give me an example eithier. Well, ok there was one guy with a Rustang and aftermaket struts....but come on....it's a Rustang :)

Last edited:
Calm down, I wasn't attacking you for it. My car definetely isn't that bad. I have to turn the radio completely off to hear the clunk you all are talking about. That's the only time I've ever heard it. But I can hear the squeak of the struts when it's very cold. But after I've driven a few miles they warm up and the sound goeas away.

As for the not having anymore confidence in Mazda, I totally agree. If i had as many problem as you are having, I'd use the Lemon Law and get my money back and go buy a WRX like tomarrow. Do you have the Lemon Law in Canada? In the States, if you constantly have problems with the car, and none of the repairs work, you can get a full refund for the car. It's a hassle, but it almost always works.

Big Ben. I didn't think you were attacking me.....I didn't mean to come across like that. I'm just having a B#$% of a day, and I'm in a serious rush. And Mazda is calling me from time to time today keeping me up to date, and it's just starting to piss me off.

I didn't realize that when I bought my MP3, I would be wasting so much of my life/time with this crap

Anyhow, gotta go.

big_ben said:
... Maybe your MP3 clunks are worse, because you are in Canada, but I doubt it...

While not in Canada, I am in Wisconsin, and I can certainly say that the clunk SUCKS. It starts off being minor like you mentioned, but if left for a few weeks, it will rattle on ANYTHING. I mean, it happens on the tarlines on the road!

Also, there is a definite change in the handling. It feels quite loose during this period.

It IS a problem Mazda should address. My struts squeek in the winter, but I expect it. They DO stop im the warmer months though, so I dont have the problem newf has.

Chris

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm curious to find out if this problem has been resolved seeing as it's now 2007.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm looking at an MP3 for sale.
However I don't want to get it (Seeing as I can get a mint 2003 protege ES for the same price) if I have to replace the MP3's bushings every couple of months.

I live in Nova Scotia, where it snows A LOT and is not exactly warm like california.

Anyhow any input would be great. Thanks

Dude, I'm in Ontario and frequently go down to Northern Ontario. It took my bushings about a year before the clunk came back. The squeek though came after one of the trips there and back (roughfly 16 hrs of driving). The squeek is a quick fix, the clunk you have to change the bushings. Eeather way I look at it, even with the clunk, this car is worth every little issue it has.

GIJana...the "clunk" (if you search it, you'll find a zillion threads) is a problem that was fixed a while ago...if you have the proper hardware: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123679421
EVERYONE who has bought one hasn't regretted it...and before you ask, yes I do have this myself. I NEVER "clunk", I just need to grease my suspension every once in a while (first time was in May (I bought it in March), 2nd time was just recently).

If the clunk is what you are going to consider the makeORbreak of your purchase, just buy the bracket (which btw Racing Beat had originally designed, evolv just made a "copy" of it for the MP3, but Mazda didn't use it because it was too expensive to add to the car). Worth every penny, and the car does handle slightly better with it.

Back