Mounting a 22-inch 1080p monitor in the Mazda5

Chris B

Has anyone seen a largish computer monitor mounted in a car before? I'm thinking of combining this monitor (<10 lbs. and runs off 12V, consumes max 36W) with a cheap VESA mount, a DIY headrest-camera-mount, and an HDMI media player (extremely lightweight, runs off 12V, consumes max 24W). The idea would be to have a big-screen, full HD experience in the back seats. If I could get it safely mounted high enough it would be nice if the third row could see it, too. It would probably be mounted only for longer trips with the kids, though it would be great to have for around town, too--mommy can go shop for shoes while dad and the kids kick back in the parking lot and watch movies.

It just seems like a waste to spend big bucks on an overhead DVD system that only plays DVDs and is limited to 480p resolution at best. We stopped buying DVDs and now only buy new stuff on Blu-Ray; most of our video watching at home now comes from BR and DVD rips stored on the home server and streamed to the TVs.

What sort of issues do you think I might run into with this? Could I rig up a more secure mounting system involving the rear part of the console/cupholder assembly? I am also trying to brainstorm on where I would place the components--might be nice to have the media streamer in the glovebox but then I need an IR repeater for the remote...

Interested in your comments!

Edit: after a bit of research it looks like I will need some sort of DC-DC power supply to ensure a reasonable lifespan for the monitor and media player...

Last edited:
I agree that there must be better options out there than a DVD player.

What I was tossing around was installing a monitor in the back somewhere, maybe a 10" or 11" monitor on the ceiling, then using an iPod Touch as the media processor though the Zinwell ZIN-5005HD looks like a pretty neat option.

Potential issues: Mounting to a camera mount would limit the adjustability of the front seats. Visibility may be an issue depending on the position, as well as direct access to back seats and to the kids from the front seats.

Potential issues: Mounting to a camera mount would limit the adjustability of the front seats. Visibility may be an issue depending on the position, as well as direct access to back seats and to the kids from the front seats.

Thanks, hadn't thought about seat positioning. I rarely sit in the second or third rows, but sitting in the second row last night I realized that 22" may be too big for reasonable visibility...I think I need to look for a 19"-inch class monitor or smaller. I'm having a hard time finding a decent* monitor that takes a DC-only input (i.e. has an external power brick).

*There's lots of no-name TV/DVD combo things for RVs and truckers out there!

Last edited:
That Zinwell only outputs digital audio via optical S/PDIF. Therefore, you can't just hook up a couple of headphones to it. You approach sounds like it will get complicated and pricey pretty quickly.

Try around at dealextreme.com for a PMP.

For our upcoming road trip, I'm going to 'invest' in an official cable for my wife's iPhone. I say invest because those things are $50 by themselves. This will give us control from the front like Heat mentioned with the iPod Touch. And not have to keep up with DVD's for our portable player anymore.

For our upcoming road trip, I'm going to 'invest' in an official cable for my wife's iPhone. I say invest because those things are $50 by themselves. This will give us control from the front like Heat mentioned with the iPod Touch. And not have to keep up with DVD's for our portable player anymore.

There's really no need.
Its the same minijack-to-RCA cable that comes free with most consumer camcorders.
Heck, I got three of them lying around in a drawer, use them on my phone, digital camera, and camcorder as tv outputs. There's nothing the "official" one offers, other than an Apple logo. Don't waste your money on Apple accessories!!

The only difference possibly is that the video pin (yellow in color) is swapped to the last pin instead of the first, since the jack is designed to carry left and right audio in the first two positions (most camcorders and cameras use the first pin for video). However, aside from the color coding, the wires are exactly the same quality and grade you probably already have in your house. If not, you can get a cheapo one off ebay, meritline, Frys, radio shack, etc... for $5-10!
All you'll have to do is switch the plugs around and it works fine!!

If using a standard non-apple plug, the red wire out of the iPhone becomes the video (yellow). If you want to keep things simple, just swap the red and yellow wires when plugging it in and you'll get sound and picture perfectly.

If you're a perfectionist, however, you'll notice that the audio channels are now swapped, left and right. If that bothers you, simply swap the audio plugs (now colored yellow and white, since red is the video line), and TADA! You just saved yourself $50.

(if you want visual explanation, check this out: http://www.topsevenreviews.com/watching-iPod-videos-on-TV.html )

Last edited:
I agree that there must be better options out there than a DVD player.

I've seen dozens of off-brand monitors on ebay and across the net that include SD card and USB hookup to play digital content in mp4 or avi (divx).
Since I have a netbook usually for the kids to watch when we travel, I already keep all my movies in that format, so this would be ideal.

However, I'm thinking I like the idea of the media player in front (a dusty old Zune taking up space in my drawer, in my case), so I can control the content remotely via TV out RCA cables.

Ultimately, I'm still considering one of those Chinese made-for-Mazda5 GPS head units to replace my stock stereo. If I do that, they include TV out cables which I can then run directly to the rear headrests for a very clean installation and smooth operation (that is, assuming I can fish the wires underneath the carpeting without much fuss).

There's really no need.
Its the same minijack-to-RCA cable that comes free with most consumer camcorders.

Do you own an iPhone/Touch? There is no video output via the headphone jack, only the dock connector. Sure, aftermarket cables can be purchased for cheap, but without the apple authentication chip, you will not be able to have video output. This has been a major issue since IPSW 3.x. Trust me, I've done some reading on this one.

Do you own an iPhone/Touch? There is no video output via the headphone jack, only the dock connector. Sure, aftermarket cables can be purchased for cheap, but without the apple authentication chip, you will not be able to have video output. This has been a major issue since IPSW 3.x. Trust me, I've done some reading on this one.

Ah, you are correct. I forgot about that imposed limitation... My HTC and Nokia n95 both work with video out directly from the headset connector. I recall doing this with an older iPod video as well- I forgot the new touch iOS devices are different.

Another reason I don't like 'em... sorry man. Aren't there cheaper 3rd party accessories for this that cost less than Apple's official one?

I wish! But no.

Apple sucks. (protest)

agreed. Too bad they're so darned popular.

Anyway- for $50, maybe you should consider purchasing a used older model iPod video, zune, or other video player that has standard video out, and just mount THAT as a dedicated player for the car?

Thats what I did- picked up an old Zune that wasnt being used anymore for next-to-nothing, plan to use it as a permanent car-player if I set up monitors.

That sounds like a good idea too, but the price for one of those is what I'd pay for the cable. I'm not looking to mount it. I do not want this permanent so the kids are asking for it every time we get into the car. Road trips only.

I want the portable DVD player (we have already) mounted to the headrest posts similar to the OP with a cable running to the iPhone or PMP like you mentioned so we can have full control from the front seat.

Back