Motor Trend CX-9 Long Term Test - Final Verdict

I was a bit surprised their only quibble was the volume control knob too far away? Dude, you have a switch right on the steering wheel for the volume. Yet, they don't complain about how it takes three presses of a remote to open the auto tailgate, or the interior lights that don't come on when you turn the car off, or doors that don't lock themselves, or locking the doors when you get in immediately turns off the interior lights, or having to hit the temp button everytime you start the car, or power mirrors that aren't connected to the seat memory, window lockout that locks out the driver too, or holding the door lock button only rolls up the front windows, or no mileage/trip computer, or ipod connectivity with the nav..... They complain about the volume knob....

Seems like all the magazines gave this car a free pass. I read all the great reviews and bought my CX-9 only to be annoyed as hell with it. Not to mention how do they get 17MPG average? I'm getting 14.5 with a highway/stop and go commute. Best I have done on an all freeway drive is 19.....

If you hate so many things about it, you shouldn't have bought it. Don't blame reviews for you lack of personal hands-on research of the car before buying it.

Every one of your complaints is a personal preference, not a flaw. None make it a bad car. I don't like that it doesn't have paddle shifters, but it's still a fantastic car.

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised their only quibble was the volume control knob too far away? Dude, you have a switch right on the steering wheel for the volume. Yet, they don't complain about how it takes three presses of a remote to open the auto tailgate, or the interior lights that don't come on when you turn the car off, or doors that don't lock themselves, or locking the doors when you get in immediately turns off the interior lights, or having to hit the temp button everytime you start the car, or power mirrors that aren't connected to the seat memory, window lockout that locks out the driver too, or holding the door lock button only rolls up the front windows, or no mileage/trip computer, or ipod connectivity with the nav..... They complain about the volume knob....

Seems like all the magazines gave this car a free pass. I read all the great reviews and bought my CX-9 only to be annoyed as hell with it. Not to mention how do they get 17MPG average? I'm getting 14.5 with a highway/stop and go commute. Best I have done on an all freeway drive is 19.....

I agree with many of your listed faults, plus lack of retained accessory power when switched off. However, I would buy the vehicle again, despite the flaws.

As for mileage, I average about 18 MPG with my normal use/commute. I get 22-24 on highway trips.

I live and commute in the Washington DC metro area. Even with the stop and go commute, I avg 17 mpg on my commute.

I'm surprised they didn't complain about the tires. Though I haven't had a problem with them since they haven't seen much snow in the 10 months I've had the CX-9. There's just been a lot of complaints on this board about them.

I also live in the DC metro area and have averaged around 18 mpg with mixed driving. I got 22 mpg highway on a trip to Florida.

I might actually like this car better now. I hate all this automated junk that just ends up locking my keys in the car on me.
My thoughts:

auto tailgate - Who really needs this? Is your hadn broken?

the interior lights that don't come on when you turn the car off
- I am not a squimish female so I dont really care. I would rather they stay off so my eyes can better adjust to the dark.

doors that don't lock themselves - why would anyone want this?

locking the doors when you get in immediately turns off the interior lights - Why is this bad? I am in the car to drive, not to hang out. I dont lock the doors when I get in as I dont live in a gang ridden neighborhood nor would I get a $30,000 car if I did.

Having to hit the temp button everytime you start the car
- Now this sounds like an issue, although given the above...WHY do you have to hit it. Will the car not drive if you dont?

power mirrors that aren't connected to the seat memory - I have never had this and I dont need it. I would never use the seat memory either. It makes sense why you would want it, but it doenst seem like the 5 seconds longer it takes is a big deal to me.

window lockout that locks out the driver too - I have never used the window lock out unless I fart and want to torture my wife.

holding the door lock button only rolls up the front windows - If you want to roll up the the windows, why are you pressing the lock button. Just role up the windows. Or better yet dont leave them down in the first place.

no mileage/trip computer - OK giving you this one, thats idiotic.

no ipod connectivity with the nav - I have to agree here too.

I'm surprised they didn't complain about the tires. Though I haven't had a problem with them since they haven't seen much snow in the 10 months I've had the CX-9. There's just been a lot of complaints on this board about them.

I also live in the DC metro area and have averaged around 18 mpg with mixed driving. I got 22 mpg highway on a trip to Florida.

As I stated in another thread they replaced the tires and I believe most of the winter driving came with the new tires. I don't think they specified what kind of tires they bought, but they were replaced.

Wow, I could complain about all of those things too, but they're all little things that I guess could add up to piss me off but I don't sweat the small stuff. The CX-9 is great where it counts, on the road.

I can see how some of these annoyances can bother you if you're used to having them in a previous car.
Mazda3 interior lights come on when you turn the car off. I like this feature because it allows me to see inside the cabin so I can grab my stuff before I get out. When I lock the doors, I want the lights to turn off because that means you're either driving or you're leaving the car.

Many cars hide information until you press a button, which keeps your display simple. RDX is like this, you have to cycle through the display to get the information you want. When you first turn the car on, the display is blank.

For many things listed, it would simply drive the price up for those that don't need or know about those things.

The bottom line is that Mazda added features that really benefit the driver, and left out a lot of the little trivial gadgets that make cars more expensive.

I guess they could have left off the lateral accelerometer and not had rollover protection with dual functioning side curtains and had the lights and door locks be more proactive instead.

Personally, I'd rather have the adaptive 6 speed with manual and have to reach 6 inches over and press the door lock button. Maybe Mazda should have made the center seat removable for walk-through space instead of big enough to fit a person. Or added a third seat in the back row to have '8' passenger capacity instead of 2 people actually being able to sit back there.

Are we really so lazy that now a car sucks because it doesn't adjust the mirrors and wipe our butt when we get in? I remember having to roll the window down, reach out, and turn the mirror with my hand. In fact, on my truck, I still have to do that, and have survived...barely.

I like conveniences too, but I'm not going to complain about them being left off of a car that I KNOWINGLY purchased. Buying blind is why there are people out there driving Pilots and Highlanders.

I think most of the issues I point out are bad software, not changes that would add cost. The car can already lock the doors if you walk away from it, so why can't it lock the doors when you hit 10MPH. It turns on the lights when you turn the car off if you use the spare key, or if you don't have the "advanced key". They should be able to add a line of code that if you put the car in park and turn off the ignition turn the lights on for 30 seconds or until you get out and lock the door. I came from a VW that cost $25K. This isn't new stuff. It's not like this car was free.

like many things in life, a big consideration is the relationship of the price to what you're getting. take a good bottle of wine - one that might sell for $20, and you get it on sale for $15. are you going to complain that it doesn't taste like Opus One? if you want a $200 (or $1k) bottle of wine, be prepared to shell out the money. personally, I'm thrilled to get a $20 bottle of wine for $15 because it's a great VALUE, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a more expensive bottle too.

if you want a luxury car with all the bells and whistles, you should have bought the Audi, or a vehicle that met your requirements. we bought the 9 without ever having driven one, and I'm thrilled with what I got.

I think most of the issues I point out are bad software, not changes that would add cost. The car can already lock the doors if you walk away from it, so why can't it lock the doors when you hit 10MPH. It turns on the lights when you turn the car off if you use the spare key, or if you don't have the "advanced key". They should be able to add a line of code that if you put the car in park and turn off the ignition turn the lights on for 30 seconds or until you get out and lock the door. I came from a VW that cost $25K. This isn't new stuff. It's not like this car was free.

I have to concede that the lack of auto-lock when driving is a no-brainer, but I still stand by my former statement and have no regrets.

> auto-lock when driving is a no-brainer,

If auto-locking while driving is present on CX9, I will have the dealer turn it off.
I live in good neighborhood, I see no point of locking the doors all the time.
Besides, I can assure you that your power locks will go bad earlier than mine.
I had that on my Villager minivan more than 10 years ago. I found it very annoying.
Maybe it is just me.
When I see the need to lock all doors, I will just hit the black button
next to my left elbow.

Last edited:
cars that have this have to be enabled and can be disabled. the point is having the option available for those that prefer it.

> auto-lock when driving is a no-brainer,

If auto-locking while driving is present on CX9, I will have the dealer turn it off.
quote]

Agreed, that locking door crap drives me nuts.

We are, after all, talking about pressing a button vs. not. THAT's a no-brainer.

When I drive ours, I get autolock anyway. My wife presses the button.

As I stated in another thread they replaced the tires and I believe most of the winter driving came with the new tires. I don't think they specified what kind of tires they bought, but they were replaced.

From the article:

"After roughly 30,000 miles of exploring the Western United States, the Duelers grew tired, so we had a set of Goodyear Eagle RS-As installed for $490.92."

They put 37K miles on it in total over 15 months so unless all of the winter driving was done in the last 7K miles then I would have to think they drove in some snow with the Duelers. Anything is possible I suppose.

Back