Motor Mounts or Clutch Chatter?? Need your expert diagnoses!!

peter330

:
2001 Protege ES
Hi guys

I've read through many threads trying to resolve my problem but I don't want to dive into anything without knowing it will fix the problem.

When I take off from a stop in first gear, the car shudders to the point of stalling unless I bring the RPMs to about 2k, or really feathering it 1.5k, anything below brings it close to a stall and the car rumbling like its going to explode.

I've read through the forums and some have said it could be a clutch flywheel problem, or engine mounts.

The person that owned the car before me says he put an AWR rear on. I believe the rest are stock. I'm thinking if that's the case, I should just put corksport inserts into the remaining mounts. Can you put these inserts into the existing mounts? Do they sell inserts for passenger and driver side as well? Will this resolve my problem?

Are the inserts to be put over the existing rubber? What if the rubber is torn already?

I'm not looking for performance just a comfortable ride alla round in a daily driver.

Edit: this is not my driving technique, I've been driving manual for 5+ years and no car has ever felt like this.

Last edited:
Mine did this but then stopped for a while, i put the inserts in and the car fells pretty good now. the front is easy, the rear is kind of a pain. it helps if your working on a lift.

I can see a clutch or mounts causing shuddering as you're taking off in 1st, but if it actually is coming close to stalling, there's something else wrong.

What happens if you coast down to 1000 rpms in 1st or 2nd gear and then give it some gas?

Also, if you are getting clutch chatter that severe, new motor mounts will only help it to some degree. Most likely you'd need a new/resurfaced flywheel and probably a new clutch while you're in there.

Back