More Horses

charksen

I have a 2002 MP5 with 70k miles. It feels like the car has been slowing down a bit, and I'm looking for some ways to increase horsepower. Not looking for anything too radical (no turbos), but simple/effective upgrades that can "speed" things up.
Thanks in advance!

Our cars don't "Speed" up w/o turbo, or extensive engine work.

Intake/header/high flow catted midpipe/catbackexhaust

Basic boltons that will make the car sound faster.

To make it really fast, drive it to the dealer and trade it in.

or if you like your car, grab a mazdaspeed protege turbo kit and boom, problem solved

btw, search button is your friend

the best bang for the buck is definitely a header that replaces the precat

together with intake & exhaust, you'll probably see about 10-12 whp increase

how difficult is it to put that turbo setup into an auto?

you can drop a k&n lifetime air filter in your stock air box. I did and it feels good(er). it has a deeper suction sound. I'm just hoping that no air is leaking in from after the filter. it also seems to help a tad bit on gas - or maybe that's because my old filter was super dirty ?? mphh

Bazooka joe is running the msp setup on his auto. Keep the boost low and you should have no problems as long as you get a good tune

What does the HP & torque curve for a turbo add really look & feel like? i.e. at 1500RPM, 2000, 2500 do they help a lot, or is it when you wind it out? Lacking a turbo, the easiest route to power is to up the revs. Exxon will luv ya too.

or if you like your car, grab a mazdaspeed protege turbo kit and boom, problem solved

boom being the key word there! awesome quote.

i would really recommend getting a header for the car. that should help for what your looking for. give you a noticeable difference and run maybe $150-$300 (not sure of current prices. but i spent $300 i think for an awr few years back)
id see if you can find a used awr somewhere on here. i think they're the best bet though others have a different preference. good luck!

AWR's are super hard to find now. OBX is common place and can be had for $240 or so from Protegegarage

If you are looking for low end power, I would say drop a K&N filter to your stock air box rather than buying a short ram or cold air intake~! stock air box gives you more torque at the low end~!

anyone else notice that the k&n lifetime filter adds a deeper sound to their intake? (stock air box)

hehe yups xD when i had stock paper filter, it sounded nothing like the k&n one. i like the k&n one. maybe i'll do the airbox mod haha

anyone else notice that the k&n lifetime filter adds a deeper sound to their intake? (stock air box)

u said ur car feels like its slowing down a bit? maybe u need a tuneup. yea just do basic bolt ons like I/H/E. idk my car feels kinda peppy wit my axleback and little k&n filter thing. haha just the other day i felt bored so i tried to see how fast i could go up a incline. i was surprised how fast i went up to 40. now 60 is something different lol..

I really need to get my car on the dyno to see what I am putting down to the wheels.

And...I/H/E does introduce higher noise right? both normal driving and high rpm driving?
And with a good setup, can someone give me a estimate how much it will cost? I'm just curious....

Josh

Yea my I/H/MP/E is a lot louder than stock. A LOT louder. Even on the highway.

For I/H/E expect to spend $1k if you buy all brand new name brand stuff. The rest depends on if you can install them yourself. The Intake is very easy to install.

Back