Mitsubishi Eclipse

Liquid_Ag said:
hey...you guys do know that the eclipse is faster in every category but braking than the rx8 *dons fire retardent suit*

Heh. Seeing as the RX8 forum's current methodology for making a post follows the same lines, I'll believe it.
"what car can we beat?! XYZ? ABC? "

2nd gen GSX.

Other than that, eclipse = crap.

Well, I guess I would take a GST as well.

In other news it looks like they are going to beat the evo x with the same ugly stick they have been beating the eclipse with since they got rid of the 2nd gen.

Whats with all the ugliness these days?

VW has a bad case of it as well.

Phoenix5 said:
F**k that s**t!Mitsubishi mocked our beloved FD in the commercial for this p.o.s!(lol2)If ur gonna get an Eclipse,look for a 1st or 2nd gen. especially of it's a GS-T or GSX!Those r hot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXXPMezTV0
hahaha... anyways that v6 has 263hp, it's still very quick despite the weight but as soon as you hit a corner.... That's why the MS3 is much better(glare)

Though I the eclipse asthetically has grown on me...(peep) it looks nice...(from the side)

Last edited:
FI_FSDE said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXXPMezTV0
hahaha... anyways that v6 has 263hp, it's still very quick despite the weight but as soon as you hit a corner.... That's why the MS3 is much better(glare)

Though I the eclipse asthetically has grown on me...(peep) it looks nice...(from the side)

Oooo..wow..V6 263 hp..I'm shakin!For the same amount of money,I can get a 350Z w/ 300 hp,better handling,better looking,RWD and oh yeah...HIDs,(lol2)!

I'd get a base Z over that eclipse but overall the convertible eclipse looks nice and is like a poor mans 350Z but with wrong wheel drive. But I don't think any car makers have hit their cars with the ugly stick more than nissan. Have you seen the new sentra? Ugh. Even BMW is getting better. I saw pics of the new Z2 roadster coming out and it looks rather nice.

Donas64 said:
I'd get a base Z over that eclipse but overall the convertible eclipse looks nice and is like a poor mans 350Z but with wrong wheel drive. But I don't think any car makers have hit their cars with the ugly stick more than nissan. Have you seen the new sentra? Ugh. Even BMW is getting better. I saw pics of the new Z2 roadster coming out and it looks rather nice.

Yes,base Z.Totally agree!As far as Nissan,I agree too..the new Sentra is just plain bland and boring!It's just a mini Altima.

Liquid_Ag said:
hey...you guys do know that the eclipse is faster in every category but braking than the rx8 *dons fire retardent suit*

I hope you're not talking about the current Eclipse because C&D has it listed at 6.8 / 14.9 while the RX-8 is at 5.9 / 14.4 and that's not even factoring in the handling characteristics

6.8 in the new V6 Eclipse? REALLY! thats so slow. 263 hp Mivec and thats all it can muster. Thats just a shame. What are the torque numbers? Is it really just that heavy?

torque's about the same as hp... yep, it's really that slow.

And for the recod... I never ever had any interest in buying this car. I mean... I think it's al alright car for a chick or someone on a budget going through a midlife crisis... but nah, not my cup of tea at all.

Also...wtf were you guys talking about with Mitsubishi makin fun of the FD in their commercials? I must've missed that one

The eclipse is slow because it's a fat tub of lard thrown onto the galant platform...

CHICO2003 said:
torque's about the same as hp... yep, it's really that slow.

And for the recod... I never ever had any interest in buying this car. I mean... I think it's al alright car for a chick or someone on a budget going through a midlife crisis... but nah, not my cup of tea at all.

Also...wtf were you guys talking about with Mitsubishi makin fun of the FD in their commercials? I must've missed that one

Ya,in the commercial,they had an FD "bowwing" to the p.o.s as it passes by.Ya,why would you buy this car.It's an obese FF,who wants that!Weak!C'mon now,if the tC's weight was bad,this is worse!If ur gonna drive a sports car that weighs over 3k lbs,it better be an FR or 4WD!

To Verm-> EXACTLY!

Last edited:
CHICO2003 said:
I hope you're not talking about the current Eclipse because C&D has it listed at 6.8 / 14.9 while the RX-8 is at 5.9 / 14.4 and that's not even factoring in the handling characteristics
slalom and skid pad are both faster than the rx8

LMFAO you smokin crack? I haven't even looked it up (yet) but I'm SO confident that you're wrong... I'm posting this now anyway! (hopefully I won't come back with egg on my face) but seriously... how could that POSSIBLY be...umm... possible? If one car has considerably faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times... AND is superior (which is an understatement) in the handling dept... how in the world could the other car have better skidpad and slalom numbers????

Now I'm gonna go find out if the world has turned upside down on me....

Alright... first and foremost, I've NEVER seen such disparity amongst the various publications out there. I've seen the Eclipse's 0-60 as slow as 7 seconds (and as fast as 5.9) while the RX-8's isn't quite as bad, there's still a sizeable range with the quickest being 5.9 and the slowest being 6.8

Regardless... it would be lame to prove whatever point I was trying to make (which was basically just me talkin out of my ass since I didn't REALLY know) and... since I'm not exactly a big fan of either car, I could really care less. The truth is more important than being 'right'.

So yeah... Motortrend was the only one that had all 4 stats. Unfortuneatly, they 'prove' I was wrong in the acceleraton category. (boo-hoo!) but they also 'prove' I was right about the slalom and slidpad.

So what's all this mean? It means that, if one were to average out the times from the various publications (rottentomatoes.com style) I'm willing to bet the Eclipse would post faster times in the straight line while the RX-8 would clearly dominate in the handling dept (slalom and slidpad)

I guess that shouldn't really be a surprise when you think about it... I mean, the RX-8 needs to get some balls. Even still... pound for pound, the RX-8 is the superior car. No doubt about it.

Anyway.... check it out for yourself if you care.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0507_2006_mitsubishi_eclipse_gt/specs_price.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0305_2004_mazda_rx8/specs_price.html

Back