mileage improving with age / miles

Super Unique

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica
I have been driving very conservatively the past week, not using boost once, and so far I am sitting on the half tank marker with 225 miles on the clock for this tank. Not bad, but I don't know how much longer I can deny myself boost :)

Currently sitting in the mid 30k range.

meh at 36k miles, before i fill up 12 gallons at 220 miles... now i do 280 miles with same driving habit :)

damn i barely get 150 miles @ 1/2 tank no matter how i drive
and about 270 a full tankful

when it was 0 to 5000 miles, i was getting 220-240 a tankful
currently at 18k miles

I am usually around 300-320 ona full tank. It has gotten better though with mileage. I am at about 46K right now...

my dad had a 94 altima that started getting better mileage (driving the same half hour freeway commute, minimal traffic), except his started getting better mileage around 120K....

from the birth of the engine the gas mileage will get better over time, just because of all the components that will get better tolerances and fitment, and depending on driving habits the computer may lean towards a fuel trim that is on the conservative side

for me personally i havne't put too much effort in exact numbers or keeping a journal from the beginning. but coming up to 25,000 miles i can say that my gas mileage has only improved or gotten worse due to the outside temperatures. during the winter the mileage was worse, spring had the best because it was warm but not hot enough to run the ac. now it's been worse again because i've been running the ac pretty much anytime i drive cuz it's been really muggy lately, and i hate how it craps up the inside of the windshield when i put the windows down

At 5500 miles I am getting 23 mpg in the city and I just did 30 mpg on the highway. On the highway I had four passengers (2 adults & 2 kids), plenty of down shift and stomp on it events and the A/C was on. This car continues to impress.

I have yet to hit 30 mpg with this car under any circumstances. This is only the second time it has approached 28-29 range. To be honest I don't think I could do this for longer than a tankful, I haven't hit boost a single time since I filled it. I will have final figures once it runs out tomorrow. I am almost to 300 miles and still have a quarter tank left. I am thinking I will be lucky to hit 340-360 area and it will be gone. I have been driving the same route I usually do, and to be honest, the extra 3-4 mpg isn't worth the aggravation of constantly babying it.

and to be honest, the extra 3-4 mpg isn't worth the aggravation of constantly babying it.

yea, not worth it at all. fouls up the spark plugs too

a master tech told us (class) a story one time about an older woman who came in for car problems. apparently her porsche was sputtering and running rough, and didn't have any smooth acceleration. well they checked the plugs and they were prematurely worn, and they realized it was because the lady never took it up through the midrange and to redline. the techs told her that every so often she needs to redline the engine during driving so that everything keeps working the way it was intended to, because it was designed to being a porsche and all

well apparently after she left she came back the next week and traded it in, because she wasn't aware it had that much power after she decided to pretty much gun it like the techs told her to.

Well I finished off the tank today. Here are the results.

starting with a full tank and driving my usual routine.

348 miles travelled, 11.95 gallons consumed. yields 29.12 mpg for the tank.

Dash computer showing 28.2 mpg current average. ECM was reset at start of test, so no previous MPG information was in computer for this experiment. So here is a confirmed case of actual MPG being better than the dash computer calculates. So much for it being optimistic in it's errors.

I have hit 29-32 MPG on my road trips. No less than that. Normal driving is 23-25 MPG mixed driving.

ya know boost isn't always a bad thing for fuel economy. Boost =more power which could = better efficiency in certain road conditions, hills and stuff.

This car is funny I get the best mpg between 55-65 and then 75-79
Even at 90mph comp say 29-32 mph

Back