midpipe question on a n/a

deadstock

I think i got the mod bug
I was thinking of buying a catback within the next few months or so, and i'm pretty much set on the RacingBeat. I was browsing around the forums and i was wondering if adding a catted midpipe will be worth buying to give it anymore gains on top of the catback? I'm assuming not a lot, this being a totally stock p5 right now, but I'm still a bit iffy with the header because we have emissions tests here (which is why i will be going with the catted). Any input would be nice, thanks.

depending on what other mods you have will make the difference here. on its own with the catback i do not see gains any better than 5 to 10 hp. with things like intake, pulley, etc the midpipe will collectively do more.

oh okay i get it now. Seeing that i'm not yet very familiar with which mods will do best with what, i would definitely get a header and leave the stock intake instead of getting a CAI and leaving the header stock, but i'm not too sure if i'll pass emissions with just a header and a catted midpipe?

Where I live we have emissions testing but pretty much is just hook up to ecu, ecu all good you pass. I have OBX header, nonfouler for 2nd o2, hi flo catted 2.25" flex fitted midpipe, & 2.25" catback with magnaflow street series muffler. Cat is also magnaflow. I believe the flange on header is 2" because it bolted right up to the oem midpipe/exh & as far as that goes I am actually using the oem midpipe flange on my hi flo midpipe. So everything from header flange back is 2.25. I also have had CAI & various versions on SRIs on the intake side. Non on these have ever given me problem getting sticker. Now if you have some hardcore visual & computer test like CA then you may have to save oem parts to put back on, go get sticker, then put it all back afterward if so.

**edit - sorry, went thru all that crap only to leave out the main point. Your header & catback will not do it's best with midpipe being as restictive as it was with oem exhaust.

Last edited:
very helpful indeed. Just checked our emissions website yesterday and it so happens that my car (2002 and over) does not need to go through emissions anymore so i guess i can get that header. Anyone have a ballpark figure of how much i'll gain with the header, catted midpipe and catback (RB) without the intake?

edit: yes, i'm running stock

That combo generally takes you from about 95-98whp to around 110-112whp...and make the car MUCH more fun to drive...

Anyone have a ballpark figure of how much i'll gain with the header, catted midpipe and catback (RB) without the intake?

Which transmission?

ProtoType5 said:
That combo generally takes you from about 95-98whp to around 110-112whp...and make the car MUCH more fun to drive...

Which is true for a manual transmission on a Dynojet.

For an automatic, you're looking mid to upper 90's whp on a Dynojet.

yup it's a mtx. Those numbers look good to me, and really tempting, though I did promise myself that i would get my suspension done first. Arrgg but it's so tempting.

IMO, there's enuff suspension there already to make it 2nd behind header/udp combo except of course if your referring to lowering springs which will also make it look better with right tire/wheel combo.

IMO, there's enuff suspension there already to make it 2nd behind header/udp combo except of course if your referring to lowering springs which will also make it look better with right tire/wheel combo.

Yeah what my plan was getting the springs, struts and rear sway before i did any engine/exhaust work. Great, now you guys are starting to change my mind haha.

Yeah what my plan was getting the springs, struts and rear sway before i did any engine/exhaust work. Great, now you guys are starting to change my mind haha.

Welcome to your new addiction.

Mine all started with a SRI in 2003. Now look at my car. LOL

Back