Megasquirt 2 EMS Guide for FS-DE 98+

i just bought an MSII. dkarthik, you didn't need to use any resistors on the ECU side for the ignition coils and injectors to prevent the CEL? so as long as the engine runs fine, the ECU doesn't care that it's not seeing a complete circuit from the coils and injectors?

Not as far as I can tell, I have an exhaust leak so my CEL goes on and off, it's been doin that since before my MS. but i haven't had the code read recently so, its on my to do list lol.... but she has been running perfect for the past 3xxx miles... :)

sounds awesome. well if i do get a MIL, i'm just going to get some resistors, solder them to a board, hook it up and hopefully that'll work.

also, just to clarify, the resistor for the crank sensor, does it go between the splice and the stock ECU? or between the splice and the MS?

Last edited:
The resistor goes between the MS and the splice if you dont put it your stock ecu dont recieve the crank signal.For the MIL I think it's almost impossible to keep it off.In the begining of the tuning 3 years ago I've had a code about being to rich because the stock ecu want to see 14.7:1 of air fuel up to 4000RPM and me in boost before 4000RPM I enrich a bit so I think it will be difficult to not have a cel.Now I get rid of the MAF and the O2 sensor so the cel is always on.

Cougar I see in your sig you have the 626 mani if you want more power return with the stock one with vtcs delete,you gain alot of WHP.

Did you guys ever installed/using a second BIP373 coil driver and how was that incorporated with the pull up circuit ??

I'm checking my MSII just to double check before it goes in and I have different wiring set up for ignition/pull up circuit that i followed from diyautotune so want to make sure if you guys are using 2 BIP373 coil drivers or just one, the Q16.

no i didn't, follow the diagram for the ground switching circuit using the LED's as spark outputs. protege coils have built in ignitors.

oddly tho, when the engine was cold or just warming up it ran fine. after it was fully warmed up i couldn't go past 4k rpms, no matter what my throttle position was. it felt like a rev limiter, i was getting spark and fuel cut, and all the sensor readouts in tunerstudio went apeshit. launch control/flatshift was turned off, i had the rev limiter set to 7k rpms. i couldn't figure it out. im thinking maybe the timing was too advanced above 4krpms.

the motor kicked a rod, so im getting a built one. keep troubleshooting after i get it in.

ok, i'll double check the timing when i put the new motor in... the megasquirt manual said something about distributorless, VR sensor setups not needing a timing calibration? so i never did one.

also i had the cold timing advance set at zero, so my timing was the same at cold and operating temp. like i said, ran perfect cold, just don't know why it wouldn't go over 4krpms once it was at operating temp.

i just thought of something else, even tho the megasquirt has control over the ground side of the coils and injectors, do you think the ECU was cutting the 12vdc feed to the coils and injectors? only MIL i got was for random misfire, when i hit the 4k rpm "limiter". i'll have to check the wiring schematics and see if the 12vdc feed is coming from the ECU or not.

My injectors are wired with the 12Vdc Coming from the Stock ECU, but that does not affect anything. Like XoX1de said, make sure the timing is right, and go through the initial setup screenshots at the begining of this thread, its a safe place to start. Really sounde like you have super advanced timing!! that is definitely an engine killer if there ever was one!... lol

this sucks my car is not runnign right now so i can trouble shoot this... i was reading more into the megasquirt manuals. should i try playing with the trigger offset? its set to 0 like in the screen shot.

yeah, I have all the settings the exact same as in the screen shots. dwell was set to 2.5ms. I copied the fuel and timing maps exactly to use as base maps to tune off of. (i'm not trying to point any fingers or put blame on anyone)

I was thinking maybe the timing was way to advanced. i know when the air and engine are cooler you can run more timing advance than when it's warmer. but the fact that it ran perfect when cold, then when warmed up, ran perfect until 4k rpms, then hit a brick wall. it felt like a rev limiter. I think that if the timing was advanced enough to cause this problem, it would do so when cold as well.

I don't think it was a setting or map problem, since there are a few people running the MS2 with the ame settings. i think it might be either hardware or firmware related. when i get the new motor, i'm going to reflash the firmware and try again.

unless somehow i'm getting noise on the tach signal only when the engine is hot.

Last edited:
Do you have a megalog file of the problem when it happened?... If you do, post it up here, Ill take a look and see if there is anything I can make out from it.

here's the datalogs. where everything spikes all crazy around 4k rpm is where it happens.

Attachments

• 2010-10-11_07.44.10.msl.xls
    919.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 2010-10-11_10.25.15.msl.xls
    195.6 KB · Views: 189
Where do I install the second coil driver?

if you did not install R37 or R38 on the heatsink you can use one of those holes on the heat sink to mount it. keep the legs straight, trim them short and solder wires to the legs.

you shouldn't need to install the 2nd high current coil driver, I ordered it and didn't install it. if you use the ground switching schematic, which fires the coils off the LED drivers, you acually don't even use the first high current coil driver anyway.

Sorry, Been really busy at work for the past few days, I'll take a look today and tell you if I can see anything you might have missed.

glad this finally got stickied.
im not up on my MSII research these days since i sold my MSP, but xox1de, didnt you post your VE table before? is that necessary to get the car running before you use VE Analyze (or whatever?)
i actually wanted your VE numbers for something else... haha... guess ill have to dig up my old thread where you posted them...

glad this finally got stickied.
im not up on my MSII research these days since i sold my MSP, but xox1de, didnt you post your VE table before? is that necessary to get the car running before you use VE Analyze (or whatever?)
i actually wanted your VE numbers for something else... haha... guess ill have to dig up my old thread where you posted them...

I can give you my VE Table if you need it... LMK

ill take it - just a screen capture is fine. the VE numbers for the FSDE just arent out there aside from people running MS, and theyll come in handy for a sticky im working on.

PM'ed you my email.

Back