Media Alert: Grassroots Motorsports To Do Protege Article

BondoBob

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3 - Blue
While looking for a new Bell crash helmet (going racing in an Enduro racer this Saturday at Riverhead Raceway on LI), I stopped by the GRM Magazine website www.grassrootsmotorsports.com and checked what's coming up in the December issue. Found this: "Mazda Proteg profile: Buyer info, hop-up tips and history"!

Everyone should buy a copy. They are a smaller magazine that does an excellent job of covering the autocross/road racing scene down to the nuts and bolts. Great read! I subscribe and give it the BONDO seal of approval!

I agree with Bob! GRM is the only magazine I pay to subscribe to. Besides SportsCar, but that comes with the SCCA membership so it doesn't really count, and it's still not as informative as GRM.

I agree with Bob as well about the article. You'll get a huge surprise when you read the "by-line"...

It's written by someone you all know and love. Well, maybe know, sort of, even if you don't love 'em...They are still pretty cool though.

And the article will still be worth it...

StuttersC said:
I agree with Bob as well about the article. You'll get a huge surprise when you read the "by-line"...

It's written by someone you all know and love. Well, maybe know, sort of, even if you don't love 'em...They are still pretty cool though.

And the article will still be worth it...

Ok you peaked my curiosity now! Could you at least let me in on who it is, as it'll be all day before I can even go looking for this magazine as they don't sell it at most stores around here.

BigBlue said:

Ok you peaked my curiosity now! Could you at least let me in on who it is, as it'll be all day before I can even go looking for this magazine as they don't sell it at most stores around here.

yeah, let us in on the big secret.

Now see...Should I spoil the surpirse and just watch as you guys go crazy trying to figure out the secret??

I don't know. I think it is worth keeping my little secret just to give you extra insentive to go buy the magazine.

thanks.

StuttersC said:
Now see...Should I spoil the surpirse and just watch as you guys go crazy trying to figure out the secret??

I don't know. I think it is worth keeping my little secret just to give you extra insentive to go buy the magazine.

StuttersC said:

What a swell guy! :p I looked for it yesterday at a couple places and they never had it tho. :(

It's not even to the printers yet! The DECEMBER ISSUE will be out in a month or two. Get a subscription.

BondoBob said:
It's not even to the printers yet! The DECEMBER ISSUE will be out in a month or two. Get a subscription.

HAHA, yep they are just finishing up the first layout design...It'll go to the printers soon. It'll probably hit subscribers the first or second week in December and it'll hit newstands the second to the third week in December.

So, be patient...

Perhaps I will let you in on the big secret has we come closer to the arrival of the issue to reader's hands...

Update...

According to GRM's website on the fourth of this month, the magazine should be heading to the printers sometime this week. That means we are right on schedule for the magazine to be ready by the end of November.

And, I'm surprised no one as figured out who wrote the article yet. I mean, they post on this board, among other message boards.

BondoBob said:
What are you begging, Chris? When did you find time to write it?

Um, at work on night shift...I figure if I get paid to be bored, might as well accomplish something with my life.

I wrote the first version back in January after I pitched the idea. Did an update in August to reflect new info, and low and behold the December issue is supposed to have it.

I've had one heck of an eventful year so far, and I'm getting a great present for Christmas. My first published article. I am on my way to doing what it is I really want to do.

--- Edit ---

Bob, Don't you remember way back when I asked the board, "If you could talk with someone who races Proteges anything at all, what would you ask?" Well, something like that anyway, I wanted to know what you guys wanted to know about the guys who race these GLC's (great little cars) everyone on here seems to love so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent. This is the year I finally raced a car (on a track). Turned 43 on 9/20 and the fates came together to get me an Enduro car for the last race weekend of the season at Riverhead Raceway (9/30). 100 laps, 100 cars -- came in the top 20 as that was all that was still on the track at the end.

Bob

P.S. Is this a paying gig?

BondoBob said:
Excellent. This is the year I finally raced a car (on a track). Turned 43 on 9/20 and the fates came together to get me an Enduro car for the last race weekend of the season at Riverhead Raceway (9/30). 100 laps, 100 cars -- came in the top 20 as that was all that was still on the track at the end.

Bob

P.S. Is this a paying gig?

Congrats on the race...As long as you have fun, that's what matters.

As far as pay goes...I don't know, not to worried about it yet. I'm just happy to get it published. David promises me that I will be "happy" with results though.

Yes, I do. I figured out that YOU wrote the article last month...but figured I let the others figure it out (knowing that you are on the GRM message board all the time and other tell-tale signs.)

---edit---

The ink is all that really matters, I was just interested in the rates for articles. Very cool.

HAHA, I've been harrassin GRM for over the past six years...Do you remember the "C-Rex Project car" that David had. That title was me too.

Project cars can be montsers, Jurassic Park mosnter-fied the T-Rex...Since "C" is lower in the alphabet, hence smaller than "T", a CRX is a little "C-Rex" monster.

Um, I forget the actual going rates, but I think the "Profile" style article is anywhere form $500-$1000 depending on length, quality, etc.

Vintage Profile is about the same. Then the smaller articles such as tech pieces and all go in the $400-$800 range I think.

For accurate pricing take a look at the "Editorial Submission" section on the GRM site.

they apparently will have pictures of Jesse's 92 LX in there. I don't know if they featured his car or not, but he's pretty phsyced that his car will be in the magazine

Well, for those of you keeping score on this, the issue is finished.

It was mailed to subscribers on the 21st of this month...It'll hit newstands by the 12th of November.

I call dibs on all the copies to hit the news stand in the Denver metro area!!(yippy) (rockon) (2thumbs) (thumb) :D :p

Back