Mazdaspeed Shift Knob on a Protege.

deagz

I got my MSP shift knob and it doesn't fit on my 99 protege. It seems like the plastic disc at the top of the shift boot is preventing the knob from going all the way down. I know this has been asked before but would rather not do anything permanent to the car.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

you can screw it on with the little screws on the side, underneath the metal ring that screws off.

On my P5 I used a shaft collar to fit over the stem of my Kartboy shifter. Remember that the shifter stem has a larger "ring" toward the bottom of the stem. This is what the shaft collar rest on. This allowed the Mazdaspeed knob to screw against a hard object. Trick is to figure out how long to make the collar. I used alluminum so that if the Mazdaspeed logo didn't "square up" I could muscle up and get it right. Obviously the aluminum gives first. It worked like a charm and the knob is solid. Also I like the fact that the boot fits real snug under the knob as it is pressed against the plastic ring and the shaft collar. Does this make sense? If not I can do a "how to" and provide more information I will be glad to help. Here is a picture of the finished product. Sorry for tht huge picture.
Kartboy shifter - SR boot - Mazdaspeed knob

100_1295.jpg

Back