Mazdaspeed 6 UPDATE + Check pg 5 for detailed PICS!

Mazda3 said:
Ok, I'm back!!
But it does pull hard in all gears. Like its was stated before downshifting is not really required for making manouvers because the torque is there all the time. I was VERY impressed with how quiet the car was in the cockpit. Very little wind or road noise and you can hardly here the engine under normal driving. Only when you put the hammer down can you even tell the car is running. Unfortunately he was pretty mellow and didn't drive it hard enough for me to really tell how well it handles.

The torque is especially noticeable in 5th and 6th gear where previously you would have to downshift to get the acceleration, but now you just step on the gas harder and off you go!

Mazda3 said:
He said it was one of the nicest driving cars he's ever driven. One of the tests is on an oval track. The Speed 6 was the second fastest around the track out of 61 cars. Only the Z06 beat it, which obviously slaughtered everything. Results of these test will be released to the public first week of December.

I agree. I haven't driven everything, but I have driven Volvos, Infinitis, and Lexus marques and I find this car to be every bit as comfortable and well-crafted as any of them. And considering that at 130 kmh in 6th gear when the tach is barely touching 2000 RPM this thing has the potential to be very scary...
(thumb) Also, the manner in which it makes this power without too much excitement in the cockpit is very reminiscent of many of the luxury, or near-luxury marques.

R

Last edited:
vindication said:
so the turbo??

Not sure. Been trying to find specs on it. Nothing in the owner's manual or online that I can find. it is tucked away too far for me to get to it easily so I'll have to wait until I get it on a hoist before I know what type of turbo it is.

R

Mazda3 said:
Those Motortrend times weren't actual track testing, they were quoting Mazda's VERY conservative estimates. Look for real times to be around 5.5 and 13.9. I am going to be driving one shortly, I'm just waiting for the mechanic to finish the PDI.(glare)

What makes you say Mazda's estimates were conservative? Wishful thinking? YOUR estimates are nearly a second quicker in both tests! How the hell did you come up with those numbers???

Thats what he's guessing the performance is based on the new final drive. I agree with his 1/4 mile time estimate (with a good competent driver), and low 14's otherwise. I think the 0-60 is worsened by the final drive change, as a shift to third is now required, so it should fall around the 6 to 6.2 range.

The important strengths for this car will be its trap speed (at the end of the 1/4) and its 55-75 or 85 times (highway passing). With the amount of low end power its got available, it can probably pass cars faster in 6th, then a standard 6 can in 4th gear.

crossbow said:
Thats what he's guessing the performance is based on the new final drive. I agree with his 1/4 mile time estimate (with a good competent driver), and low 14's otherwise. I think the 0-60 is worsened by the final drive change, as a shift to third is now required, so it should fall around the 6 to 6.2 range.

The important strengths for this car will be its trap speed (at the end of the 1/4) and its 55-75 or 85 times (highway passing). With the amount of low end power its got available, it can probably pass cars faster in 6th, then a standard 6 can in 4th gear.

Perhaps, but unless you only want to take this car to the strip it is more than adequate for daily driving, and probably for autocrossing as well (its weight aside, with proper footwear, of course). Furthermore, once the direct injection is figured out a little tweaking will make this thing a force to be reckoned with. I figure that there isn't much out there that I would see commonly that would manhandle this car on the street, and certainly not on the highway. There are alot of exotics that you won't see often that will dispatch this car in a freeway showdown, but those are cars are few and far between. Against the rest of the stuff that you will see day to day, this car is an ace in the hole.

R

Until I see some actual test figures, all of this talk about numbers is purely speculation. Personally, considering it's hp and tq, I'd be dissapointed with anything >6 secs/14.4

Mazda3 said:
Don't you guys read the other threads?
You might want to check this out before you continue this conversation.

http://www.msprotege.com/vbb222/showthread.php?t=123615525

i'm sure I'll take some abuse for this but... i'm not 100% sold on that article. check out the wording... "this gets the ms6 up to 100khm in 5.5 seconds." not something like "the best time we recorded was...." I don't know... it almost seems like they took that data from some 'estimated' type of source. I could and probably am wrong about this... i sure hope so! but considering the source (certainly not a motor trend or car and driver) I'm just not 100% convinced. afterall... this car is pretty damn heavy! with about the same hp as an evo and about 600lbs heavier... I would expect the disparity to be greater. again, since this will be my next car, I hope I'm wrong. 5.3 is freakin sick!

Chico, if you read all posts in the thread you will see that I know Chuck personally and discussed this article with him before it was published. I wasn't allowed to post it on here until it came out in the paper today. The times are real and accurate.

Mazda3 said:
Chico, if you read all posts in the thread you will see that I know Chuck personally and discussed this article with him before it was published. I wasn't allowed to post it on here until it came out in the paper today. The times are real and accurate.

Chico has just got a be in it to believe it! Once he has ridden in one, or driven one he will repent and start spreading the gospel...LOL!

(poke)

R

P.S. Now I've just gotta find me some Hemi-owners to toy with...LOL!

The one problem the car has with autocrossing, is the default wheel selection. To stay in a stock class, you'll have to stick to that wheel sizing...which means your tire selection choices are quite limited (mainly due to the 7 inch wide rim). Had they put a 8 inch wide rim on it...it could have done crazy stuff like run 255 hoosiers... :)

From the design perspective, its meant to run on the track. There its weight penalty won't be so severe, and you'll be able to make full use of the close ratio transmission...and its increased top speed :).

I just seen one at the dealer. Very nice car man, only one problem with it

it's not in my driveway

I got to fix that.

It does have something like Auto start. It's AWESOME. You have this key fob thing that looks like a credit card. You can get the dealer to put the doorlocks on auto mode for you (which I did) and you get this.

Walk up to the car and press a tiny black button on the door, doors unlock (within 2.2 meter range of the transmitter.. if you hold the button in, all 4 windows roll down, awesome for hot days).

Get in, turn the ignition knob (it's a cover that goes over the area where the key would normally go) the car starts... no keys required.

Exit the car, close the door, walk away, within 3 seconds the doors lock when the transmitter is out of range.

It's so awesome. I have had my MS6 for over a week now, and I still can't get over how cool it is to never have to fumble with keys. GO MAZDA!

I have encountered a problem... but it was totally my fault. We were going snowboarding last week, I was at the boarder crossing in a LONG line and I had to use the Jon... I told my buddy to drive the car while I ran to a store to take a leak, and I took the keyfob with me, without thinking about it. He stalled the car, and couldn't start it (because you can take off with the keyfob while the car is running). So I have already screwed up once because of this high-tech system. But it's funny... and it's SO COOL not to need to take out my keys ever.

MSP6_key.jpg

Last edited:
that's not auto start or remote start.

We canucks want it because it's friggin cold up here. i don't want to have to leave my house to start the car. I want it to be warm before I get in it.

40,195 is what I was quoted so far

damn

we also have a new owner at our dealer here. All new staff. I think that is going to be the deal breaker for for me right there. How they treat me over the next few months will determine if I want to spend any money at MAzda again.

Last edited:
Newf said:
that's not auto start or remote start.

We canucks want it because it's friggin cold up here. i don't want to have to leave my house to start the car. I want it to be warm before I get in it.
I use it for a/c in the summer. Dem dark leather seats be hot as hell ;)
fun thing is scaring people with it. (poke)

Back