Mazda6 or CX-5?

rtwick

:
Mazda CX-9 Touring
Hi,
I'm currently in market for a new car (replacing a 02 nissan maxima). My wife has CX-9 (09) and both of us love it. I was almost decided on CX-5 2014 GT until I went for a test drive and saw the 2014 soul red 6. I haven't yet taken a test drive of the 6 but I'm sold on its design.
I commute everyday 70 miles with mostly hwy with lots of potholes and half the distance stop and go traffic. Will a GT 6 be too firm ride (main reason for trading in the maxima)?

I'd recommend test driving the car on bumpy roads in your area, so you can compare how it feels compared to your Maxima.

I had a CX-7. I test drove the 2014 Mazda6 GT and then the CX-5 GT AWD. The 5 was too boxy and felt like other SUVs. It was nothing like the 7 or 9. I loved the 6 and bought a Soul Red with Tech Package 2 weeks ago. Glad I went back to a sedan and the gas mileage is great. I think the ride is very nice. Seats are firm but that's what Mazda is about; driving your car...zoom zoom! Go test drive one. You will be impressed and love it! Good luck.

I bought a Soul Red 6 sport and I absolutely love it. I found out I am going to be a father 2 months after the purchase and wished I'd have bought a CX-5 just for the ease of putting in the carseat and hauling around strollers and such.

Oh well, I'm not going to loose my butt on a trade so I'll just make do with the 6. I hate Mazda for not offering the 6 wagon in the US. I would be willing to loose my butt on a trade-in if it became available in the next couple of years.

Largely dependent on your cargo needs, ride height/position preference, and whether or not you want AWD.

If comfort/ride quality really is the chief aspect you're concerned with, I am not so sure you should buy another Mazda.
They are not terrible by any means. But, perhaps a little more harsh than some other options on the market.

I have been pleased in this regard, with my CX-5. Some passengers I have had in the car, particularly in the back, have made comments about the harshness, though. But, I am accustomed to the vehicle in my sig. Nearly anything is refined compared to that. haha!

I have driven the gen III 6, and found the chassis to feel very similar to the CX-5 - and it should, because they are arranged in the same way and also share componentry.

When I was buying my car I was initially choosing between 3 crossovers (CX-5, Escape, CR-V). I wanted something more practical, and heard really good things about all three CUVs, so I was about 70% set on getting one of them... Til I drove them all. I think the Escape rode the best (surprising) but couldn't warm up to MFT, CR-V probably had the best functionality but was completely unresponsive and had harshest engine, and while the CX-5 handled the best the ride was too choppy for me (I think it's the short wheelbase + 19s). Each one of the faults was enough to be a deal breaker for me, so I expanded my search to hot hatches (GTI/Focus ST - they had their own demerits for me personally), and then sedans.

Long story short, I ended up getting a Soul Red Mazda6 (Touring MT w/ 19s), and I'm quite content with my decision. For me, the utility of a CUV/hatch was something I'll miss maybe 5% of the time, but I knew each faults of the CUV would drive me nuts 80%+ of the time. OP, if you travel 70 miles on the highway everyday, and utility isn't all that high up in your list of priorities, the better ride and fuel economy of the Mazda6 would make a lot of sense, so it's definitely worth a consideration.

Thanks every one. For some reason, I didn't get any reply notifications. In the mean time got busy with test drive and after three test drives finally brought home soul red/almond 6 GT with MRCC & FCW :)

Thanks every one. For some reason, I didn't get any reply notifications. In the mean time got busy with test drive and after three test drives finally brought home soul red/almond 6 GT with MRCC & FCW :)

THIEF! That is MY CAR!!! Seriously, the Soul Red with Almond Leather is one of the most striking cars I've ever seen. It's very likely that I'll be buying a Grand Touriing in that color combo lalter this year...just waiting for the Turbodiesel engine to be introduced so I can try it out....

Zoom, zoom, my friend! Congrats!

THIEF! That is MY CAR!!! Seriously, the Soul Red with Almond Leather is one of the most striking cars I've ever seen. It's very likely that I'll be buying a Grand Touriing in that color combo lalter this year...just waiting for the Turbodiesel engine to be introduced so I can try it out....

Zoom, zoom, my friend! Congrats!

Thanks,
You are right no other color makes justice to this car!
Loving it on country roads. Only gripe, the Rm rests are bit too low for me as i have short hands

The Mazda6 is just nicer with more features than the CX-5. The interior uses more padded surfaces, you get more features like LED running lights and Angel eyes, Optional MRCC/FOW, hill start assist, and in later 2014's, iELOOP and a Sport button. Of course it's ligher. The BOSE Audio is largely the same but the Mazda6 has two additional tweeters in the dash. The main reason to choose the CX-5 over the 6 would be optional AWD, and cargo space.

Yes. I was going for cx-5 just for awd but after getting in the 6, couldn't go back to the cx5.
Its just so much more refined and spacious. Loving the 6 so far.

It a big dilemma... I really like the look of the CX5 in white with black wheels. On top of that, I want to go biking, and a hitch is a perfect fit for the CX5.... Maybe get the CX5 for me, and the 6 for gf... or vice versa. Difficult choices indeed.

The Mazda6 is just nicer with more features than the CX-5. The interior uses more padded surfaces, you get more features like LED running lights and Angel eyes, Optional MRCC/FOW, hill start assist, and in later 2014's, iELOOP and a Sport button. Of course it's ligher. The BOSE Audio is largely the same but the Mazda6 has two additional tweeters in the dash. The main reason to choose the CX-5 over the 6 would be optional AWD, and cargo space.

CX-5 got hillstart assist as well. There is no more dampening in the 6 than there is in the CX-5. Reason for lower road noise is separation between the cabin and the rear wheel wells. Sport button is practically useless, as when it is not in "Sport" mode, throttle response is just delayed. So you're just getting an option to have slow throttle response for those who can't control their lead foot. Consider Sport mode as NORMAL mode...

CX-5 got hillstart assist as well. There is no more dampening in the 6 than there is in the CX-5. Reason for lower road noise is separation between the cabin and the rear wheel wells. Sport button is practically useless, as when it is not in "Sport" mode, throttle response is just delayed. So you're just getting an option to have slow throttle response for those who can't control their lead foot. Consider Sport mode as NORMAL mode...

Actually, the Sport button will hold lower gears without the need for manual shifting and it will hold gears when braking in a corner. The lower road noise is for whatever reason it may be. The Mazda6 is lower to the ground (obviously) and that is a condition that would increase road noise for the 6. The armrest in the Mazda6 is padded, there is gloss piano black trim in the 6 around the gear shift, love it or hate it it's a more premium ($$) of plastic than what is found in the CX-5. The Mazda6 is a bit more premium than the CX-5 and that's because it's simply cheaper to build. It's not like the CX-5 isn't nice, it's that the 6 is a little nicer because it's a little cheaper to build.

we have both :D

i drive the 6 and wife drives CX5

wife said she likes the interior on the 6

i said i like the exterior on the CX5 :D

so we trade cars every other week:D

Back