Mazda5 Tires: Issues & Replacement Recommendations

Is the stock rim for the 2009 17"x6.5" or 17"x7"? Wondering if a 225/45-17 will fit on the stock rim...

Is the stock rim for the 2009 17"x6.5" or 17"x7"? Wondering if a 225/45-17 will fit on the stock rim...

I am not sure about the size, but I know for sure a 225/45R17 will definetely fit because that is the exact size i am running on my stock wheels on my 2006

While it will fit, your handling will change a little as the rim has a little more wiggle room between the limits of the tire contact patch. (Sidewalls angle in toward the rim rather than being more or less vertical.)

I can definitely feel it with the 215/50/17's on our 2009 right now.
The turn-in response is slightly degraded, but the ride comfort is very slightly better.

Tirerack delivered my new tires this evening. Michelin Primacy MXV4 sized 215/45-17 My God the sidewalls are so short! I was expecting low profile, but DAMN! I'm hoping my ride quality doesn't go completely to hell....

My wife drives a 2008 Mazda5 Sport with the stock 17x6.5 inch rims. The original Toyo A18 tires (205/50/17) wore out pretty quickly and I replaced them with Yokohama Avid Envigor in 215/45/17 size a couple years ago. The ride quality hasn't really suffered but the speedo registers about 2% faster than your actual speed b/c the overall diameter is a bit smaller than stock. I wanted to go with 225/45/17 but with a 6.5 inch wide rim it wasn't recommended, being too narrow. 215/50/17 was an option, but the Yokohamas in this size were about $12 per tire more expensive from discounttiredirect.com.

I had an 07 5, on which I ran 215-50 sized tires and they were great. That is good to know about ride quality, I am excited to see how they handle, especially in the wet. I also found the 215-50 tires to be slightly more expensive this was another reason I went with the lower profile tire. I also am happy about the enormous "rim protector" lip built in to the bead edge of the 215 sized tires, should save me from all but the most horrifying of curb rash.

Last edited:
The '06 and '07 models are known for alignment issues from the factory - toeing (tires are angled slightly inward), which causes cupping.
They fixed this for the '08 model and it hasn't been an issue since.

That's the first I've heard of this. According to the rest of the Internet, the problem is overly negative camber at the rear end, and it applies to all Mazda 5s from 2006-10, causing tires to die by 20,000 miles. The only solution is to buy a pair of aftermarket control arms called the SPC 67420 ($171 on https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) right now) or its cheaper off-brand clone, the ACDelco 45K0187 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)).

Say, does anyone know how much installation should cost, and the best angle to set the camber at? -1 degree? -0.5?

That's the first I've heard of this. According to the rest of the Internet, the problem is overly negative camber at the rear end, and it applies to all Mazda 5s from 2006-10, causing tires to die by 20,000 miles. The only solution is to buy a pair of aftermarket control arms called the SPC 67420 ($171 on https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) right now) or its cheaper off-brand clone, the ACDelco 45K0187 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)).

Say, does anyone know how much installation should cost, and the best angle to set the camber at? -1 degree? -0.5?

My 2009 Mazda 5 Touring has never had this premature tire wear issue.
I'm certain the problem only applies to model years up to 2007.

Our 2008 has not been kind to tires. I'm replacing the current set next week after only 28,000 miles. Cupping...

However, I replaced the struts/shocks this year so maybe that will help the next set.

Have had the Michelin Primacy MXM4 215/50 on and need new tires, have about 30k miles on them. Good I guess for a 5. Mileage rating on these is 55k though so should be able to get a mileage credit. Now just need to decide either to keep stock and go 225/45 or look for someone unloading some 18's, MS or RX8 etc.

Just replaced 2009 Mazda5 tires with 215/50 Bridgestone serenity plus. Car has 60k and its my third set. Original Tires replaced at 30k, had cheap Goodyear eagle gt after. Absolutely the loudest tires I've ever owned. New bridgestones are outstanding! Quiet and amazingly smooth ride. This forum has been a great resource, thanks to all of you for such detailed info. I'll post about the new tires once I get some more miles on them.

Quick question, had an alignment done and am clueless about the numbers involved. Front toe angle was a degree outside of specs on both sides. How much off is considered a lot vs typical adjustments?

^^ If both are -1 degree or +1 degree from spec, steering on-center feel is affected and you may encounter uneven wear such as cupping. I once left a car's alignment toed in so far that the outsides (but not the insides) of both front tires became badly worn from the scrubbing. If one is a degree positive and the other negative from proper spec, that just means your steering wheel's off center.

Question about tire rotation: Conventional wisdom (as I understand it) is that you ALWAYS rotate your tires in a cross pattern as long as they're all the same size and type and are non-direcitonal. torquelover tells me it's now common to rotate only front-to-back, which is what my dealer did when I paid them $17 to rotate my tires for me. I know of no reason NOT to use a cross pattern as long as all four tires are identical and non-directional. Is there any other reason people know of NOT to use a cross pattern?

I just replaced my Michelin Exalto A/S tires with a set of Yokohama YK580's on my 08 5 with 116k. The Michelin's lasted 46k and were the best tire I have ever had on the van. I've got about 1500 miles on the Yokohama's now and they are fine. I will say I still liked the Michelin's better, but I couldn't justify the cost difference.

Question about tire rotation: Conventional wisdom (as I understand it) is that you ALWAYS rotate your tires in a cross pattern as long as they're all the same size and type and are non-direcitonal. torquelover tells me it's now common to rotate only front-to-back, which is what my dealer did when I paid them $17 to rotate my tires for me. I know of no reason NOT to use a cross pattern as long as all four tires are identical and non-directional. Is there any other reason people know of NOT to use a cross pattern?

Vibration from oddball wear patterns by your tires rotating and wearing in the opposite direction? I haven't cross-rotated in years since all my tires are directional though, so I don't know if this is an issue with modern tires.

PSA:

Going to buy the Ecsta 4X while the $50 manufacturer prepaid card is still good; $100 off, not too bad.

EDIT:
Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22
215/50R17XL 95W BSW
Total "Out the Door" Price
$501.00, includes warrantee and TPMS rebuild kit (not sure what this is really but $5 per wheel). -$50 Kumho rebate = $451

Don't need no stinking warrantee = $392!
Some comments on the 4X's. I only had them for about 5K miles before selling the Sport. I did not get to test them out on snow or a real winter. Overall they handle admirably dry/wet BUT I find them kind of noisy... If you want a comfort tire, I recommend passing on these. These are categorized as UHP-AS so some sacrifices in comfort is expected.

Discounttiredirect currently has 215/50/17 listed at $107/tire + $75 Visa gift card = total 428-75=$353 to your door. That is a hard to beat price!

I am in need of tires and was hard set on Primacy MXV4 but the up front cost is just too much to swallow. I'm now looking at GT all seasons for comfort and LRR. Choices are down to these four. Leading candidates are the PureContact and Cinturato P7, Contis taking the slight edge.
-Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS (Grand Touring All-Season)
-Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology (Grand Touring All-Season)
-Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Grand Touring All-Season)
-Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (Grand Touring All-Season)

Don't compromise on grip by getting "Eco" tires. In the long run you might save $20 over the life of the tires- not worth the 20-30% worse stopping distance every time you slam on the brakes.

Mounted new set of General GMax AS-03 and road force balance. These are UHPAS and are 10/32 depth new. FWIW, Gerneal is the sister company to Continental. IMO, these are like affordable versions of the Conti DWS. Watch the demo ads and you'll understand what they are geared towards. So far it seems to grip well dry but it is also on the noisy side. The car came with slightly used Kumho platinum lx (GT-AS), which road much quieter but less grippy (duh) :p.

Nonetheless, anything is better than having to ride on one odd ball BFG HP 550 withthe Kumho mix, which is also chopped up due to bad shocks. It howled like hell... Peace again!

Another interesting point. This is my 2nd '08 ad I've never had dreaded inside tire wear issue on either car. Since acquiring the car, I've driven over 10k without rotating them before replacing them this weekend. All tires are wearing evenly, 3/32 front 4/32 rear but treads are even! GR2 in the rear and run 36-37 PSI, guess I'm lucky (knocks on wood).

Last edited:
Don't compromise on grip by getting "Eco" tires. In the long run you might save $20 over the life of the tires- not worth the 20-30% worse stopping distance every time you slam on the brakes.

I have the Conti Pure Contact and I can assure that the traction (dry, wet and stopping) is great. That may not apply to other brands' ECO tires, but I am very happy with these tires.

Last edited:
I Love My Yokohama Avid Envigors. Have Had Them On Three Cars Including 2 Mazda5s. I Run General Altimax Snows On Separate Rims In Winter.
I have the Conti Pure Contact and I can assure that the traction (dry, wet and stopping) is great. That may not apply to other brands' ECO tires, but I am very happy with these tires.

I don't doubt your assessment- but everyone's standards of what constitutes good stick is different. :( I want repeated stopping forces of over 1G, and cornering that's very close to that....

Back