Mazda5 Tires: Issues & Replacement Recommendations

OK, I'm a bit overwhelmed. I made it to 38K with my Toyos, and I want to decide on a size for my replacements. I'd like some more ground clearance-lots of speed bumps, crappy roads (crappy drivers like me, maybe?). I thought the 215/50-17s lots are switching to would just be wider? switz above seemed to refer to it as taller...I don't need it to be a big Macho SUV, just more practical. any help would be great

Here is a side-by-side comp of the stock size to the "Upgrade " 215/50/17

P1010007b.jpg

I have read some recs. for Kuhmo Ecsta LX plat. here. When I put it in my shopping cart on tirerack it puts a tire load warning/increased ride harshness. (in 205 or 215/50-17). I was originally going for the ASX, but the Lx has a rebate and the ASX is back ordered and I need these ASAP. I don't know anything about the Kuhmo Solus, but I did put it in my cart and it also had the tire load warning.
There's also a rebate on the Bridgestone Potenza G 19, which are highly rated but I don't remember anything about those.
Any advice? Thanks!

Lisabudd,

Don't worry about your 5 looking like a SUV. In a 215/50-17 tire, the tire height (the distance the tire extends beyond the rim) is 50% of the width of the tread. So, 50% of 215 is a little bigger than 50% of 205 making the overall diameter of the tire slightly bigger. Enough to provide a bit more cushion going over pot-holes and increasing the ground clearance a bit. It doesn't amount to much; an overall diameter increase of 10mm and ground clearance increase of 5mm. But the tire fills the wheel well out more fully and I think that tire just plain looks better on the stock rim then the original 205's did.

You will not look like you are trying to make your 5 look like an SUV with the 215/50-17 tires.

In fact, 215s look WAY better. The stock 205s looked like stupid fake toy wheels in my opinion. Adding 215s to this car is a mandatory mod in my opinion. The ride makes this thing go from econo car to dope-ass Cadillac. You will be so glad you did it if you change to 215s. BTW, mine are 215/50/17 Michelin Primacy MXV4. They are expensive, but at 16,000 miles they still look brand new, have absolutely no extra wear on the inside corners like everyone complains about, and are extremely quiet. They are great tires. My girl says they are awesome on ice, too.

Last edited:
so, generally, at what point am I supposed to worry about tire load warnings on a place like tirerack? I have this fear of having $700 in useless tires...
but even the kuhmo ecsta lx in the 205/50-17 gives me the RED warning...
Also, does anyone buy these road hazard programs from tirerack?

so, generally, at what point am I supposed to worry about tire load warnings on a place like tirerack? I have this fear of having $700 in useless tires...
but even the kuhmo ecsta lx in the 205/50-17 gives me the RED warning...
Also, does anyone buy these road hazard programs from tirerack?

I just looked up that tire and still can't figure out what "the RED warning" is. Could you please elaborate? I can't comment on road hazard stuff because I have that as part of insurance, but I'm curious what people do when they have problematic tires and they bought them online. You have no dealer when you buy from Tire Rack, so if a tire is bad, who is there to help you? Who helps determine that you need a new one due to defects?

The load rating on the stock tires is 89. Which equates to 1279 lbs.

I prefer to go with the 91 since it is 1356 lbs. This gives me a little more cushion when carrying more than average load.

The warning doesn't appear until you go to check out. A box comes up: "The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable."
As far as tirerack road hazard stuff, I believe through tire rack, it's just a reimbursement plan. You just go to whomever you want.
I'll still go to my dealership for maintenance, rotation, etc

^^ As far as the load rating being too high, nonsense. That's rubbish that's just kicked out by Tirerack's software. If it's too rough, just lower the pressure, but I seriously doubt it will be. I wouldn't worry about that at all. If you're buying the stock size tire then it's already super uncomfortable and, in my opinion, unacceptable anyway. Load rating effects won't be noticed if you can stand the proper pressure, stated on your door jam, with the stock tires. I don't see how anyone can stand it personally. I drove 90 miles from the dealer to my hometown, straight to the tire shop and dumped that junk. The tires ruined the car for me. I could feel bumps in my jaw. Now it rides like a Caddy.

Just go with the continetal DWS's you'll love em and they are the correct load rating. Since they are a touring tire they have thinner side walls (like the kumho's) and the ride is much improved over the Toyo's (in stock size even).

Last edited:
just go with a good quality 215....they were made for this car, the 205 look stupid.

I have goodyear eagle GTs on my car from canadian tire, they are awsome looking, and the tread is great for water.

i had generals last year, and they wore out way to quickly...

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

First thank you to all who posted your tire experiences! It's really helped me a lot in choosing tires. I have a much better understanding about why cambering on the rear wheels is a good thing (even though it might create uneven wear) and how an increased tire radius makes the ride smoother (though maybe not as tight). (cool)

I am going with a full set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S H-rated tire in 215/50R-17 after trying to get the Michelin Primacy MXV4, which are sold out across the US. Damn Mazda for going with non-standard sizes! It makes tires outrageously expensive! Even with discounts and rebates the tires are $730 out the door, and that's after haggling with Discount Tire and Costco for a couple days (they started at $850 out the door)! (omg)

I hope the tire lives up to the reviews I've read both here and elsewhere. I'll update the forum when I get them next week.

Thanks again all!

^^ I was just looking at the tires you bought and think they'll probably be better than the Primacy anyway. The longer the warranty, the more plasticky and hard they are. I like how Michelin claims the Exaltos provide "European handling". I'm sure you will be very happy with that tire. In fact, I may try those next instead of the Primacy. Be sure and let us know how you like them. Good luck!

I replaced my OEM Toyo with whatever was
available at the tier store -- no time to research as we are going
for a long drive tomorrow. Cosco with its nice michellins will have
me waiting days. Maybe next time I'll try those 'tire technologies'
they mentioned in their tire booklets.

Here's what I have in case someone have them too.
I guess it is very low in the field of popularity.

Noticeable is the wider amount of rubber in the 'inner side' of the tire. You can find similar designs too in some Michellins. Could it be designed to suit the 'cambered' rear tires of todays cars?

Nitto NT850 205/50/R17

Attachments

• CIMG1603sm.jpg
    CIMG1603sm.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 296
  • CIMG1597sm.jpg
    CIMG1597sm.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 266
  • CIMG1600sm.jpg
    CIMG1600sm.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 280
  • CIMG1606sm.jpg
    CIMG1606sm.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 291
Do you know something about Westlake Tires? Because my Mazda Sevice Center offer them as replacements for the Toyos. Others that I've encountered are Sunny, Hankook, Nexen and Falken. Thanks!

How many K's on the 5 when you bought the Nittos, Skyhawk?

56000km.. The dealer report said old tire was still ok. (the toyo just reached the wear marker) if I'm not going on an long drive.. But we had to drive some 1600 km or so to edmonton and back.. So I wanted peace of mind.

I got mine from Kal-tire.

I just put on a set of Sumitomo HTR Z III tires in a 225-45R18 on my 5-Sport this weekend. I am running a set of Mazdaspeed3 wheels and replaced the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE-040 tires that were 215-45R18 sized.

My expectations - My expectations were not that high. I expected a signifigant decrease in steering response due to the increased sidewall width and tread squirm from a new tire. I also had low expectatinos of grip and comfort when compared to the Potenzas.

The reality - These tires really are great. Even though I went up a size, have a little more sidewall and the included tread squirm, I have not noticed ANY loss in steering response. They are a little quieter, just as smooth and cornering grip so far is as good or better than the worn RE-040's. These tires are also tracking much better and do not appear to be tramming as much as the old units.

Aesthetics - These tires are decent looking units. They have an asymetrical tread pattern so you can properly cross rotate and a nice finish on the sidewall. They give a nice, meaty look and help fill in the wheel wells.

So far I like them and may recommend them fully after a few more weeks of driving. They ar also available in a 215-50R17 which would be a good size for the OEM wheels on the 5.

Wanted to give an update. These tires are wearing extremely well. Handling is still great, have not noticed an increase in noise over time and have not had to rebalance these tires either. I have been very pleased with them so far and would likely get another set. For the price I very much recommend them.

It's sad that it doesn't seem anyone here listened to you. I have used multiple sets of these on my Saabs which run very similar aggressive suspension setups with lots of neg. camber. The HTR Z-III's are the best tire that money can buy if you like grip and need a tire that can handle the setup without wearing funny like most all other tires will do on the 5.

The secret to these HTR Z IIIs is the solid inner tread line. Because it is solid there is no way for it to cup. That means more of your tread can be used since the wear is more even.

How many of you guys have replaced your tires because the inner portion was done but otherwise the tread was in good shape? The design of these Sumitomos allows for an even softer, more grippy, tread to be used without the mileage hit that you would see in other high performance tires.

The other thing is they are incredibly quiet and for a performance tire very comfortable. Way more so than much less performing tires.

I highly suggest you fellow 5 owners not ignore this advice.

Just had a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS in 215/50/17 installed this morning. I could no longer stand the OEM Toyos after only 12k miles. Too bad I didnt have these yesterday when it was like a monosoon.

Back