Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

7.3kL/100 km. pretty respectable. that's the same milage as my 92 jetta w/ a 1.8L. there's the value of modern engines for ya.

ntron1 said:
If I Drive like my grandparents are in the back, I get 28+. If I drive it like I stole it it drops to 21 or so.

That's what I thought. I just can't do it. The 5 just calls, I think it stole the 'my speed' from those VW Golfs or something as a voice in my head continues to say floor it.

My mileage is back up to 25-27 now that it finally warmed up here. Happy again. Almost all "city" type driving, though no real stop and go.

ntron1 said:
If I Drive like my grandparents are in the back, I get 28+. If I drive it like I stole it it drops to 21 or so.

I found it impossible to drive the Mazda5 at 70 mph. I had terrible gas mileage on my trip to Florida because this car seems to demand to be driven at 85+ mph. Terrible mileage, but a fun trip!!!

Well, the best I've been able to get was 20mpg up until my last tank. I got 21mpg on it driving about the same aggressiveness and 100% city. So it seems to still be breaking in and improving milage wise. Very encouraging.

mixed loop. 107k hwy 300city 46L of fuel = 8.8l/100km
26.73mpg ( US gallon)
32.1 mpg (UK/Cdn gallon )

I have 2600k on the odo

I just finished a week long road trip from Salt Lake City, Utah to the Mexican border (Tijuana).
1683 total miles
56.8 total gallons
29.6 MPG (US) average for the trip.
5 spd. 2 adults, 2 kids, lugage for the week.
On the highway cruise was usually set at 80 (+/- 3) mph. AC on about 70%. Some S. California stop and go traffic balanced by some lower speed cruise control driving.
Individual tanks ranged from 25.7 to 33.7 mpg
Tires were upped to 42 psi.

My 5 has about 7000 miles on it and I have averaged 27 mpg combined city and highway. I drive easy on the pedals, but I'm not so slow as to hold up traffic or put myself to sleep. Mine is the 5, 5spd reported on the EPA web page http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

I'm continuously getting 26-28+ mpg. My lowest tank has been 24.x and my highest has been 29.7. If I run some errands in town during the week I'll be in the 26ish range if I just drive to work I'll be in the high 28s. This is over the course of 5200 miles, checking every tank.

Charles- wow, great numbers. How would you describe your driving habits? Aggressive, non-aggressive, rarely speed off from lights, never passing anyone, etc? I just can't fathom those numbers even when I drive more conservative (for me) without A/C I can get 22 mpg.

Tank before last: 28.8 mpg
Last tank: 26.5

I've only got 1076 miles on it so far.

Matt

Ok, so, I went from 19 mpg on 3 tanks, then my last one was 21 then 22 mpg and I just got 23 on my last tank and I will probably better that on my current tank. SO, every tank my numbers are improving and I'm driving the same. I guess the car just needs to really break in before the numbers start to get up there?

My tank history is like-

1st- 19mpg
2nd- 19mpg
3rd 20mpg
4th 20mpg
5th 21mpg
6th 23mpg

and currently I'm on pace to get better then 23mpg. Go figure. I have 3500K or so on the car.

theweev said:
mixed loop. 107k hwy 300city 46L of fuel = 8.8l/100km
26.73mpg ( US gallon)
32.1 mpg (UK/Cdn gallon )

I have 2600k on the odo

Sorry TheWeev but I think you have figured out Km per L and not L/100km. Maybe it's just me having a brain fart but....

If you travelled 407Km and used 46L its 11.3L/100Km
or
253miles using 12.15 USgal. its 20.8mpg

For L/100Km you have to divide total Km travelled by 100 which equals 'x', then divide total Litres used by 'x' which will equal L/100Km

And please... someone correct me if I'm wrong, because otherwise I've been figuring this out wrong for years.

MPG a little disappointing so far

I know EPA numbers are always a little off, but after only a couple weeks of ownership I'm a little disappointed:
1st tank = 22.3 MPG
2nd tank = 20.7 MPG
5 speed manual.
This was probably 60% city/40% hwy driving. Of course, I could afford to lay off the "zoom-zoom" a bit. I'll continue to track this, but I'm interested to see what other folks are getting.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
Sorry TheWeev but I think you have figured out Km per L and not L/100km. Maybe it's just me having a brain fart but....

If you travelled 407Km and used 46L its 11.3L/100Km
or
253miles using 12.15 USgal. its 20.8mpg

For L/100Km you have to divide total Km travelled by 100 which equals 'x', then divide total Litres used by 'x' which will equal L/100Km

And please... someone correct me if I'm wrong, because otherwise I've been figuring this out wrong for years.

fear not you are correct. math an I have never gotten along.up to and including my days @ UVIC. your calculations are correct which dismays the hell out of me. Those are some seriously bad numbers. I generally don't hammer on the pedal and I drive a stick so I would think that my numbers should be much better. most dismaying, seeing I'm substantially above the fuel economy #'s posted by Transport Canada.

theweev said:
fear not you are correct. math an I have never gotten along.up to and including my days @ UVIC. your calculations are correct which dismays the hell out of me. Those are some seriously bad numbers. I generally don't hammer on the pedal and I drive a stick so I would think that my numbers should be much better. most dismaying, seeing I'm substantially above the fuel economy #'s posted by Transport Canada.

I'm equally dismayed. You and I have the same vehicle and seem to drive the same - ie mostly city with some highway.

My mileage has improved of late but not to anywhere near others are reporting. Perhaps its the climate - I dunno, but I have been using Chevron 87 gas for the last few months and this is where I have noticed a meagher 2mpg improvement. I'm not complaining but it only means I get 21-23mpg regularly. Not anywhere near the 25mpg combined that Mazda says you can get. I don't know how the others are doing it - but good for them... I guess.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
I don't know how the others are doing it - but good for them... I guess.

I've averaged around 27 mpg (US - see above post)... I'm curious, is your vehicle loaded much of the time? (Most of the time I have me and one of my kids = ~170lbs total)
Have you checked your tire pressure? I was running mine about 38 psi. After the oil change the dealer had it up to 42 psi and I left it (though I should let some air out...)

Fly on the Wall said:
I've averaged around 27 mpg (US - see above post)... I'm curious, is your vehicle loaded much of the time? (Most of the time I have me and one of my kids = ~170lbs total)
Have you checked your tire pressure? I was running mine about 38 psi. After the oil change the dealer had it up to 42 psi and I left it (though I should let some air out...)

usually it's the wife, myself and the pooch. combined weight of 400lbs. I haven't touched a thing on it since I drove it off the lot. I'm due for the 1st oil change next week so I'll ask the dealer if there's anything to the #'s I've been getting.

Fly on the Wall said:

Usually just 1 adult and 2 little ones and on occasion all of us but the combined weight is just over 400lbs at most. I've got the tire pressure set at 40 - the dealer keeps lowering it to 34 everytime I go in but the tire max is 44 so I figure 40 is fine. My dealer has no explanation except that what Mazda suggests is only a guide and can be achieved in perfect conditions. I call BS on that... but they have checked everything for me twice and assure me the car is running on spec. I'm not an aggressive driver and my wife is even more cautious then me so... I can only blame it on the gas and the climate.

Is it city or highway driving? In the city, I get 21 mpg tops, on the highway it shoots up to 25 mpg +.

Tire pressure on the stock Toyos is 34psi, not 40psi and the dealer keeps them at 32 psi which is what mine are currently.

Back