Mazda5 jerks when accelerating on slow motion

woland

:
Mazda 5 GS 2010
Hi,
My Mazda5 2010 with ATX (35.000 km) showing weird behavior.
When i drive in slow traffic, approx 40 km/h and release the gas pedal for 5+ seconds and then press it back (even slowly) then i fill like jerk with short vibration. It looks like broken clutch, but it can not be in ATX... So i have no idea what is it exactly. i have checked transmission fluid level -and it is OK. When i tried to talk to dealership they said that i can drive if AT warning light is off.
Any idea what is it and how to fix it?
Thanks

Last edited:
I get that too but not all the time. Asked the dealer and got the "They do that" response. Okay then.
I chalked it up to the transmission shifting down. My theory is that at slow speeds, the transmission stays in second, but when you need to accelerate, it takes a few seconds to figure out that you ARE trying to go then kicks down. In other words, it's a Mazda thing. More than likely there'll be others to shoot holes in my theory, but other than that, my car drives flawlessly, so I don't worry about it anymore.

Yea, in my case it is also not all the time. Sometims yes, sometimes no. In normal driving it shifts smoothly, without any problem... I read in some forums that people changes ATX oil in Mazda5 for every 30k. Maybe i also have to flush. The only worries that the oil is not in red color, but brown. Repair manual states that brown is ok until it has no burning smell, it is just oxidation, and nothing worry about. In my case - it mells normal. Interesting, is it possible for oil to be oxidized and in the same time to keep all spec characteristics normal??? it sounds weird, is'n it? Maybe mazda hiding something from us?

Mine does a similar thing.

I find that around 30 mph, the car cannot decide between 4th or 5th gear, when just keeping a steady speed.

One way I've fixed this is to put it in manual shift mode. Then it will only shift when you tell it.

That and the gas pedal is very touchy.

Sounds to me like tranny fluid swap may help. Any time there's a shift behavior problem in ATX, I try either new fluid or I try to change the viscosity of the fluid a little. Even though new auto trannys have been electronically controlled for years, viscosity still effects the shifting behavior, and as the torque converter wears, it may require a slightly different viscosity fluid to get back to similar shift behaviors as new. Different brands/formulations have slightly different viscosities which may be better suited to your situation. At the milage of your vehicle, I'd highly recommend flushing the fluid first if you haven't already as the Mazda5 tranny fluid is completely shot by 30K miles. If you have already changed it recently, and it is still presenting issues, I'd suggest using a little Lucas transmission additive (3-4 oz. or so, not the whole bottle as Lucas 'recommends') to see if thickening it up a little helps.

My manual transmission 5 used to do this as often as once a week. Odd but it hasn't happened in quite awhile.

I'm going to visit dealership this Saturday with long list of problems, including this one... will ask for ATX flush.

Hi All,
I have a good news and sad news.
A sad news is that i am completely disappointed in official Mazda service. Exactly as in my previous visit they tried to convince me that all jerks, clicks, noises and other problems is a normal behavior and it works like that "because it is Mazda", and dark brown fluid in ATX is also normal and nothing to worry about.
A good news is that i did insist to flush the fluid and as result now my car drives like a new. No jerks or hits. Maybe little bit, sometimes. But in compare to how it was before - huge difference.

Good to hear. As always, I don't trust dealerships or 99% of the repair shops to know anything about anything. I don't assume they have any specialized training, and even the ones who do have formal training, I question the credentials of the schools that train them.

Hi All, just FYI.
After approx 2 weeks the problem came back again :(. Like nothing changed. So, as the last shot i wrote a big complain to some of top managers and .... oh miracle - suddenly they found that my ATX indeed doing something weird They classified it as - "transmission vibration under acceleration". For first time they tried to fix it some-how (Mazda Canada provided some directives to them), but unsuccessful, and finally, Mazda Canada gave them permission to replace the ATX.
Just received the car. Moving smoothly like a new (pah-pah touch wood) :)

I wouldn't trust that they replaced the transmission.
Looks like you are right. It was too early to relax. :( The story repeated again. After 2 weeks the problem came back like nothing changed. All my attempts to force them to fix it was rejected. I even tried to talk k to Coordinator Manager, but he looked into my eyes and said - What do you expect from me? Your car is not a new and all cars has different behavior. It is what your car is.
Attempts to contact Mazda Canada was completely unsuccessful. They are or responding using standard phrases or completely ignoring my complaint.
I so tired from this car and from Mazda service... :( In Dec 2012 my warranty will over and looks like i have no a choice except to sell it and switch to Nussan or Hyundai....

Tranny flush, then a replacement, but the prob comes back after 2 weeks. How many miles do you drive in 2 weeks?

What I think is that they are clearing the ECU and that it takes 2 weeks of driving for the ECU to re-learn the problem. Was your clock/station presets erased after the trans flush back in Nov indicating that the battery was disconnected?
If the problem is absent for 2 weeks b/c the ECU is in "learn" mode, then the prob is prob software, not hardware. If could even involve air/fuel metering instead of the trans.

This kind of junk can happen with any of the makers now. It's standard run-of-the-mill stuff to just screw people over. I can completely understand if you left Mazda and never looked back. I know I would. I've had Ford and Honda both screw me bad. I still own a Ford and a Honda, surprisingly, but when these die and have to be carted away to the junk yard, I'll never buy another.

I suggest you drive with the shifter in MANUAL mode during this situation to see if the issue can be duplicated. If it is mechanical (outside of the transmission), then this shouldn't change the result. I would also inspect the engine mounts, cv axles, and throttle body.

The PCM sounds like the most logical issue to me as well, but I would have thought that changing it out would have been the step to do prior to replacing the whole transmission.

Mine has developed a vibration when moderately accelerating, almost like the motor is missing. I have 95k on the clock, and replaced the two drive shafts hoping it was the problem. It was not. The dealer refuses to flush my tranny and put new fluid in. I told them no fluid in a high heat situation like that is a lifetime fluid. Also, I have a wheel shimmy that comes and goes at 100-115kmh. The wheel will be smooth for a bit then shimmy hard then go back to smooth again. They cannot figure that out either. I have two different sets of wheels and tires, happens the same with both sets. Any ideas on both these issues will greatly help.

Well we have been through a bunch of stuff. Tranny flush, wheels, etc. well, I have been to the dealer various times with these issues and we have been working through it. It's great to have a dealer that helps you out. I'm out of warranty for two weeks and they pushed to get me a new transmission to see if that helps the situation. Since I have had this issue for quite awhile, I hope anything I need will be covered since I have had issues for such a long time. I am a Mazda owner who is 100 percent happy with my dealer and Mazda Canada and will be buying a new one in the near future.

Back