Mazda5 Acceleration Problem

rhayan911

Need help, I just getting a heavy acceleration this pass few days, and when passing a vehicle once I try to accelerate more their is a 1-3 sec. gap & rmp shoot up. I would like to know what cause this problem? normally I experience this on 40-60 mph. I also notice that the engine sound when accelerating change. like before you feel the zoom-zoom sound. now its like a heavy sound. Is this a problem on throttle body or some air intake? thanks

Need help, I just getting a heavy acceleration this pass few days, and when passing a vehicle once I try to accelerate more their is a 1-3 sec. gap & rmp shoot up. I would like to know what cause this problem? normally I experience this on 40-60 mph. I also notice that the engine sound when accelerating change. like before you feel the zoom-zoom sound. now its like a heavy sound. Is this a problem on throttle body or some air intake? thanks

WOW. I think I actually know what you're trying to say.

Are you basically trying to say that it stalls when you floor the gas pedal?

my mazda5 is 2009 model. just only got 17K miles on it. I will check the air filter tomorrow morning. hopefully thats the only problem. It occur after my last change oil. Is their any other things to check? thanks

my mazda5 is 2009 model. just only got 17K miles on it. I will check the air filter tomorrow morning. hopefully thats the only problem. It occur after my last change oil. Is their any other things to check? thanks

You might want to bring it to the dealer for a PCM reflash.

I do not know if this could be it, but if too much oil was added at the change, oil could have been drawn through the intake and fouled the air filter. Full throttle accerleration and higher rpm engine speeds would cause stalling/stumbling.

Happened to me with a motorcycle back in my young and foolish days (just old and foolish now :) )

It can also be dust in the gas... have you put more fuel since then ? Try it, and put some gas cleaner in your gas tank too.But before putting more gas, be sure to empty this one first, just by cruising normally. I had that kind of problem with one of my older ride.

Idea..... ?

It can also be dust in the gas...
have you put more fuel since then ? Try it, and put some gas
cleaner in your gas tank too.But before putting more gas, be sure
to empty this one first, just by cruising normally. I had that kind
of problem with one of my older ride.

1. I thought that was what the fuel filter is for? :(

For answer read below and skip all this part in the middle :)
----------------------
----------------------

Here is my .02 worth. :)

1. It's the CPU on the car. It takes time for it to LEARN it's
drivers habits and power curve. Someone already mentioned
doing a flash of the CPU, this is possible, but not necessary
IMO, just take the negative cable off the battery overnight and
hook it up in the morning. The CPU will be reset ' ish.

Here is why...

1. You know you don't step on the GAS peddle right? You step
on the AIR Peddle, it's called the mass air flow sensor. So the
CPU is learning how to react to YOUR driving habits.

2. Reason: Getting a race mode CPU installed / 'upgrade the chip'
You'll be amazed at how many freaking settings there are in a CPU
for just a car. LOL! "Just a car!" I think my car CPU has more
settings than Windows 7! :)

3. 75% of most car owners never feel a change when they use
different octane gas, add a 1,000 trailer to the back bumper or
pull a boat, the CPU LEARNS how to adjust for the towing, braking,
climbing hills, etc.

There are many reasons to step on the AIR, the CPU remembers if
you steeped on the air for 12 seconds last time or for 2:45 seconds
up some huge long hill.

There are many reasons to step on the AIR and NOT have the CPU
remember it, i.e. when you're in neutral, or park because there is
NO resistance and the RPM's just whip up to 8K and then meet
the governated limit and fall back down.

NO YOU CAN'T BLOW YOUR ENGINE BY PRESSING ON THE AIR PEDDLE
WHILE IN PARK IN YOUR DRIVE WAY UNDER 5 MIN! THE CPU WILL
LET YOU SIT AT 6K OR 8 K what ever you're programed for AND SIT
THERE AND JUST REVE THINKING "WHAT AN IDIOT WASTING GAS."
YOU'LL NOT BLOW THE ENGINE!

SO DON'T PEOPLE ASK: Why can't I blow my engine, I step on the
AIR and it goes to 8 K and no higher, why is that?

Because it's called a CPU in your car, it keeps dumb people from
doing DUMB THINGS. (inout)

SO in your case, I believe it's the CPU trying to run a process of
TURNING OFF THE A/C, checking to see what gear it's in and other
things, and it just takes a few seconds, plus you are used to your
other car, not all cars are made the same, hell not even the same
make and model cars are made the same, I bet I could go get in
another Mazda 5/Premacy and drive it and it WON'T feel like MY CAR.

--------------------
--------------------

See if the dealer has an updated software for your make, model,
specs, etc. If it's used, did the last guy have a tailer hitch on it,
haul buig loads in the back, or did he/she get the CPU mapped for
winter driving? It's the CPU learning YOUR driving style is what I think.
NO it's not going to drive like you old car.

There are many reasons, but hope this helps clear some things up.

Peace!(rei)

Drive-by-wire system. Until we get hold of the microprogram flow-chart, we can only guess how the system operates.

Some people 'initialize' their vehicle before they drive out of the drive way. Turn the ignition key to 'run' (without starting the engine), pause, then gently press on the gas pedal until it hits the floor. and let go. Turn off the ignition key. Then start the car and drive. You'll experience a 'newer' feel.

I tried it various ways. Like doing the above but instead of 'gently' pressing the gas,
I jambed it quickly to the floor. This one gives 'another feel' and I didn't like it.

It could be an urban legend or psychological effect. But it is too easy to try for yourself.. :).

got me browsing the pdf file.

Assuming there is no CEL, this would be a 'symptom diagnostic' troubleshooting by the dealer tech. And they have a table of 'suspect' areas to start with.

=
symptomdiagsm.jpg

Drive-by-wire system. Until we get hold of the microprogram flow-chart, we can only guess how the system operates.

Some people 'initialize' their vehicle before they drive out of the drive way. Turn the ignition key to 'run' (without starting the engine), pause, then gently press on the gas pedal until it hits the floor. and let go. Turn off the ignition key. Then start the car and drive. You'll experience a 'newer' feel.

I tried it various ways. Like doing the above but instead of 'gently' pressing the gas,
I jambed it quickly to the floor. This one gives 'another feel' and I didn't like it.

It could be an urban legend or psychological effect. But it is too easy to try for yourself.. :).

got me browsing the pdf file.

Assuming there is no CEL, this would be a 'symptom diagnostic' troubleshooting by the dealer tech. And they have a table of 'suspect' areas to start with.

=
symptomdiagsm.jpg

Both excellent points! Thanks for share! (bowdown)

Peace!(rei)

Nobody asked an obvious question. Do you have an auto or manual?

Adaptive "learning" has nothing to do with RPMs that "shoot up" without corresponding forward motion.

Yeah, I agree, I swap cars from time to time, and there is not a complete drastic feel when swapping, especially as my wife has a completely different driving style than mine (e.g. "Did you know that the engine won't burn if you rev it up above 3000RPM from time to time?" :))

My 2007 did it when I got the car new. There were a few different threads posted about the "stalling" in 2007. Not sure if those threads are still visible. For me, the problem went away for 2 years after 1) I used regular unleaded instead of regular+ or premium, and 2) I went to the dealership and they said they updated the CPU. I am at 45,000 Kms now and it just happened to me 2 times in the last week. I will ask them to check it out and possibly update the CPU again at 48,000 Kms.

Back