Mazda Moly Unavailable

Yes, if you plan to keep your Mazda for at least 25 years/250,000 miles, be super-selective with the synthetic oil you buy. I'd be over 100 years old before the extra oil money paid itself off. Mobil 1 sales at Costco is tough to beat.

Yes, if you plan to keep your Mazda for at least 25 years/250,000 miles, be super-selective with the synthetic oil you buy. I'd be over 100 years old before the extra oil money paid itself off. Mobil 1 sales at Costco is tough to beat.
I'd say there's a sliver of validity to this claim. I mean, you're right in a sense. Namely, with a conventional, fuel port injected engine.
With GDI, I think it's a little more important to choose the right oil, due to inherent operational conditions of GDI.
I think it's most important really to ensure you've selected an oil with low volatility, and maintains low volatility over the life of its interval.
Of course there really are a bunch of other factors, as they truly all perform different, most notably over their lifespan in your engine.

In short, if you're satisfied and keen on strictly 3M/3K OCI, you're probably right. If you're one who instead choses to go the distance on your intervals, it really isn't as simple as selecting a synthetic for its best sale price.

That's fine - to each his own. But for only a couple of bucks a quart I'm willing to pay to get the best. There's plenty more places I'm willing to try to save a few bucks. The lifeblood of my engine is not one of those places. I pay less doing it myself with the expensive moly oil than most people pay to have someone else do it for them with a lesser oil. Well worth it to me.

That's fine - to each his own. But for only a couple of bucks a quart I'm willing to pay to get the best. There's plenty more places I'm willing to try to save a few bucks. The lifeblood of my engine is not one of those places. I pay less doing it myself with the expensive moly oil than most people pay to have someone else do it for them with a lesser oil. Well worth it to me.
Totally agree with what robertmazda said!

A few year old thread but some thoughts on the Mazda Moly

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=357910

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-19%20at%206.38.04%20PM.png

My understanding is that oils are not only re-formulated every couple of years but that different regions of the world have different specs (despite identical weights). I know that Castrol 0w-20 used by Mazda USA dealerships has been reformulated just a few years ago. I'm not sure which spec sheet to read (2012,2013,2014?) but on the bobstheoilguy forum a thread dated 10/2014 had a poster saying it has 7.89 kinematic viscosity at 100*C making it very thin as well.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3516233/Castrol_Edge_Syntec_0W-20,_0W-

$124.75 for 12 quarts of Idemitsu made Mazda Moly oil from Amazon/Avondale Mazda is indeed expensive but it does include expensive shipping as a case of oil is heavy. Like others have already said, you can get 5 Quarts of Mazda 0W-20 Moly Oil, Mazda SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY Oil Filter, and Drain Plug Washer from Med Center Mazda for $39.32 and if you order $100 you can get free shipping. The parts department of my dealer sells Mazda oil for $6.88 per bottle. The service department will use an unknown brand of 0W-20 oil for regular oil change. You have to ask for Mazda Moly oil and pay for the difference.

The bottle of Mazda Moly oil says: "Includes high levels of MOLYBDENUM (Moly) which reduces wear, especially at low temperatures where the anti wear agents are inactive".

Since SkyActiv engines need high idle right after the start-up to heat up the catalytic converter quicker due to its long 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, I guess that's why Mazda recommends us to use moly oil.

I purchased and have both our Mazdas serviced at said Avondale Mazda. This is a very competent service center with regards to both OEM and aftermarket stuff for Mazdas. As far as oil service goes they offer Castrol Edge Syntec by default but also offer Royal Purple and Mazda OEM oils at higher cost. Being that I'm in Arizona and my cars are garaged I hardly ever have to worry about low temp startups :)

I might try the Mazda oil as well but I'm not sure I will keep at it for the life of the vehicle. Considering most dealers don't use it, leads me to believe it isn't that critical. I also haven't confirmed if my dealer carries it.

As another poster mentioned, oil composition is changed frequently. And idemitsu (sp?) also makes a synthetic Mazda oil without the high moly. All synthetics contain some moly, but with changing composition it's hard to keep up.

I might try the Mazda oil as well but I'm not sure I will keep at it for the life of the vehicle. Considering most dealers don't use it, leads me to believe it isn't that critical. I also haven't confirmed if my dealer carries it.

As another poster mentioned, oil composition is changed frequently. And idemitsu (sp?) also makes a synthetic Mazda oil without the high moly. All synthetics contain some moly, but with changing composition it's hard to keep up.

Most dealers don't use it because it's cheaper for them to put Castrol or whatever deal they get into the car. The idiot dealer I bought my car from back in Alexandria was trying to put conventional oil into my CX-5 anyway. Not all of the dealers know what they're doing.

Me? I'll continue to buy the moly oil for ~$40/kit from Med Center Mazda and change it myself. Cheaper than the dealer's Castrol oil change and better for the car IMO. Why Mazda would design an oil for our specific engine and then people not use that oil is beyond me.

Most dealers don't use it because it's cheaper for them to put Castrol or whatever deal they get into the car. The idiot dealer I bought my car from back in Alexandria was trying to put conventional oil into my CX-5 anyway. Not all of the dealers know what they're doing.

Me? I'll continue to buy the moly oil for ~$40/kit from Med Center Mazda and change it myself. Cheaper than the dealer's Castrol oil change and better for the car IMO. Why Mazda would design an oil for our specific engine and then people not use that oil is beyond me.

Agreed. However in the owners manual Mazda lists castrol as their recommended oil.

But I to prefer to do my own. When you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself. That's about my mentality.

^ would be great if you can show me where. My manual doesn't even use the word "alternative." Notice the header in the second paragraph. See page 6-27 of 2016 CX5 manual.

From the manual:

The onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions when selecting flexible maintenance. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance.

Recommended Oil U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy.
For maintenance service, Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol (U.S.A. only).

^ would be great if you can show me where. My manual doesn't even use the word "alternative." Notice the header in the second paragraph. See page 6-27 of 2016 CX5 manual.

From the manual:

The onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions when selecting flexible maintenance. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance.

Recommended Oil U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy.
For maintenance service, Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol (U.S.A. only).
Just use common sense. A oil with expensive high molybdenum content has to be better, considering at about the same price as Castrol's.

Just use common sense. A oil with expensive high molybdenum content has to be better, considering at about the same price as Castrol's.

Agreed!! If Mazda were to discontinue their moly oil I will be using the following:

http://www.eneos.us/products/eneos-fully-synthetic-motor-oil/eneos-0w-20/

eneos-0w20-136x3001.jpg

"In addition to its high-performance hydrorefined base oils and various additives, ENEOS Motor Oil 0W-20 is also blended with organic molybdenum friction reducers. As a result, the oil minimizes friction and enables superb fuel economy."

I started this thread.

I went to the Mazda dealer today for my oil change. They confirmed the Mazda Moly was available in the parts dept but the Service Manger was assertive that the cost was a waste of additional money and their Pennzoil Synthetic, that was much less expensive, was just as good. He said Mazda has contracts with the maker of the Mazda Moly and Castrol Synthetic and that is why they recommend those products. He was pretty insistent that they would put in the Mazda oil if I wanted, but it was not necessary. He said there was no credible evidence it would increase mileage or provide better protection. I have read different here, but does he have a valid point? Is it hype?

I started this thread.

I went to the Mazda dealer today for my oil change. They confirmed the Mazda Moly was available in the parts dept but the Service Manger was assertive that the cost was a waste of additional money and their Pennzoil Synthetic, that was much less expensive, was just as good. He said Mazda has contracts with the maker of the Mazda Moly and Castrol Synthetic and that is why they recommend those products. He was pretty insistent that they would put in the Mazda oil if I wanted, but it was not necessary. He said there was no credible evidence it would increase mileage or provide better protection. I have read different here, but does he have a valid point? Is it hype?
He has a point. I wouldn't call Mazda oil hype, but I wouldnt go crazy searching for it. My dealer also uses pennzoil, but I will ask about Mazda oil when we get the first free oil change. Their parts website lists 6.86 a quart for Mazda oil.

I started this thread .I went to the Mazda dealer today for my oil change. They confirmed the Mazda Moly was available in the parts dept but the Service Manger was assertive that the cost was a waste of additional money and their Pennzoil Synthetic, that was much less expensive, was just as good. He said Mazda has contracts with the maker of the Mazda Moly and Castrol Synthetic and that is why they recommend those products. He was pretty insistent that they would put in the Mazda oil if I wanted, but it was not necessary. He said there was no credible evidence it would increase mileage or provide better protection. I have read different here, but does he have a valid point? Is it hype?
He has a point all right, but it's not the one he's telling you. He no doubt has an agreement with the local Pennzoil distributor that nets him more $$ per quart than he would get from selling Mazda Moly!

I started this thread.
He has a point all right, but it's not the one he's telling you. He no doubt has an agreement with the local Pennzoil distributor that nets him more $$ per quart than he would get from selling Mazda Moly!
(iagree)

It seems many Mazda dealers do not support Mazda's products, such as Mazda moly oil and Mazda Extended Confidence! (uhm)

I confirmed that my dealer stocks Mazda moly oil. And I randomly discovered some Honda owners are using the Mazda 0w20 oil. I guess that will simplfy my stock, but I already have 25 quarts stocked from deals and rebates.

.... substituting a cheaper product and most customers don't know the difference.

I assume this to mean there's a way tell the difference other than the bottle. Would you care care to share it??

Back