Mazda Ice Academy: Trial By Ice And Snow CX-5, CX-3 And MX-5

Yee-ha! Yes, good training. One reason overly cautious people never become skilled winter drivers is because they never push it hard enough to learn something. Just make sure you choose a safe area to practice (play).

Regarding safe. I came out of a building about 10 pm after a all afternoon service call. I found about 1.5 in of new first snow of the season waiting for me. I drove about a block and puled into a big empty parking lot for apartments. Drove the length of it, turned around and drove out. I broke the front lose a couple of times, and made a couple hard stops but nothing fancy. probably never got more then a foot sideways. As I puled out a cop pulled me over. Asked me what I was doing. I told him I had just puled out onto the new snow and wanted to find out what the conditions were. Cop. "Just drive slower" It took every single bit of self control I had not to say "How slow" I had yet to exceed 15 MPH. I kept quiet and waited for him to leave first.

Oh boy! Here we go again.

Are you really this much of a jerk in real life or is this purely an internet persona?
To people like Mike, I tend to actually be a dick in real life. When they insult me due to my age,, their income, etc, I tend to be an ass using backhanded comments, or just being somewhat obnoxious like above, because I know I could smash their face if they tried to take it beyond words, and it's my way of frustrating them, because if I get under their skin with being an ass, well...I've "won", so to speak, in that it's pretty near impossible to rile me with just words. Maybe thay makes sense, maybe no, but you asked a question and you got an answer.

Simply put: when you hold things like age, income, etc (immediate facts)over me, I'll hold the fact over you that push comes to shove, I could likely smash yiu, and violence is the golden standard and always has been. I do this by insulting you in ways that all but demand a physical response that you refuse to try and muster. It's my way of pushing indisputable fact in your face. When you and I both know you're scared to dance, it's terribly funny to me, and infuriating to you, as one could imagine.

Since this is the internet though, it takes a lot of the meaning out of it, and is just petty banter.

Anyway, enough real talk. I doubt you've seen me be a dick to anyone other than Mike, which Kindof proves my point. It's more my way of dealing with certain people than with everyone.

Last edited:
I twas just a saying to remind our selves that FWD was different and if you weren't paying attention you could out drive your brakes. Not a bad thing about FWD, just a reminder.

I had a FWD vehicle thay I drove in snow. I really really hated it. Every time it lost traction, it was all over the place. I much prefer rwd in low traction environments, but that's just me. Awd blows both away.

"Violence is the golden standard" Why wasn't Mike Tyson president? CEO of Apple? Chief justice?

"Violence is the golden standard" Why wasn't Mike Tyson president? CEO of Apple? Chief justice?

What insures that the president stays president? Armed men, ready to do violence.
What insures that the CEO of Apple is safe from kidnapping (well, as safe as possible)? Police, and probably private security, ready to do violence. Same for Chief Justice.

If you don't think violence is the gold standard, you're sorely mistaken, good sir. When you strip away all of the petty little arguments and quibbles about it...violence IS the gold standard. Why? because if words are all that you are willing to use...you've already lost. Just think! What if I said "No violence can befall you", and I was some deity that insured that? What COULDN'T you get away with? Police show up? Tell 'em to screw off! What then?

I think the point is made, but if you can find a society in which words are the gold standard, backed by no threat of violence, it would educate me to hear about it...

To people like Mike, I tend to actually be a dick in real life. When they insult me due to my age,, their income, etc, I tend to be an ass using backhanded comments, or just being somewhat obnoxious like above, because I know I could smash their face if they tried to take it beyond words, and it's my way of frustrating them, because if I get under their skin with being an ass, well...I've "won", so to speak, in that it's pretty near impossible to rile me with just words. Maybe thay makes sense, maybe no, but you asked a question and you got an answer.

Simply put: when you hold things like age, income, etc (immediate facts)over me, I'll hold the fact over you that push comes to shove, I could likely smash yiu, and violence is the golden standard and always has been. I do this by insulting you in ways that all but demand a physical response that you refuse to try and muster. It's my way of pushing indisputable fact in your face. When you and I both know you're scared to dance, it's terribly funny to me, and infuriating to you, as one could imagine.

Since this is the internet though, it takes a lot of the meaning out of it, and is just petty banter.

Anyway, enough real talk. I doubt you've seen me be a dick to anyone other than Mike, which Kindof proves my point. It's more my way of dealing with certain people than with everyone.

The truth comes out.

For the record, I've never insulted anyone due to their income, in fact I have repeatedly said that many honest, hard working people are under-paid due to an economy that is rigged by the wealthiest interests.

I HAVE criticized Unobtanium for professing to be an expert when it comes to knowing what works in a winter storm even though he's only 29 years old and his Texas (and now Arkansas) roots allowed him to experience all the snow/ice driving that I typically experience every week of every winter since I began driving before he was born. Yet he loves to profess that he knows "what works in the real world". It's not age I hold over him, it's practical experience.

Unobtanium said:
I'll hold the fact over you that push comes to shove, I could likely smash yiu, and violence is the golden standard and always has been. I do this by insulting you in ways that all but demand a physical response that you refuse to try and muster. It's my way of pushing indisputable fact in your face. When you and I both know you're scared to dance, it's terribly funny to me, and infuriating to you, as one could imagine.

Time to put the whiskey down, it doesn't flatter you!

Last edited:
The truth comes out.

For the record, I've never insulted anyone due to their income, in fact I have repeated said that many honest, hard working people are under-paid due to an economy that is rigged by the wealthiest interests.

I HAVE criticized Unobtanium for professing to be an expert when it comes to knowing what works in a winter storm even though he's only 29 years old and his Texas (and now Arkansas) roots allowed him to experience all the snow/ice driving that I typically experience every week of every winter since I began driving before he was born. Yet he loves to profess that he knows "what works in the real world". It's not age I hold over him, it's practical experience.

Time to put the whiskey down, it doesn't flatter you!

I believe on multiple occasions, you have used your age as a grandstand for your opinions having merit over mine.
I also recall a comment about how you "pay more taxes than I make income" or something of the nature.
So, respectively, I'd call that an insult...or we could just call it fact. In which case, all sorts of unsavory "facts" can be bandied about, of course, but we both know it was intended as an insult.
I also believe you once resulted to insulting AR, people from AR, etc.

You also seem to be infatuated with the idea that I must be drunk when I point these things out. I think the last ETOH I had was Jager, and I only had a few shots. It did wonders for my sinuses, actually, old wive's tale or not.

So please, don't act all "I didn't do nuffn'" over it, now. I'm a dick to you because you are someone that I would treat like a dick in real life, and unless I'm quite wrong, there isn't a damn thing you could do about it to my face other than try to think of something wittier to say (but again...it's the internet, and I'm not for internet tough-guy-ing so much, so it's just petty banter, really).

So again, to the original question: Yes. I do treat people like MikeM. like this in person, as well. You will also find that other than the occasional poking fun at Chris for having a desire to mod a CX-5 like a sports car, I don't really act a dick to anyone else on this forum. Hence, accurately: Yes, I CAN be this way in person if you bring it out in me, just like I can online.

Also, yes, he asked a pointed question, and got a pointed answer, MikeM. It's called being honest with yourself, and owning who and what you are. Where you're concerned, yes, I'm a dick. In person, online, whatever.

Last edited:
I believe on multiple occasions, you have used your age as a grandstand for your opinions having merit over mine.

Replace "age" with "experience" and then you would not be distorting the truth.

I also recall a comment about how you "pay more taxes than I make income" or something of the nature.

You were complaining about taxation. I simply made it clear that I had paid more income tax in my life than you had earned in your lifetime and I LIKE having a big tax bill because it means I had a good year of earnings.

In which case, all sorts of unsavory "facts" can be bandied about, of course, but we both know it was intended as an insult.

Got Insecurity?

Replace "age" with "experience" and then you would not be distorting the truth.

You were complaining about taxation. I simply made it clear that I had paid more income tax in my life than you had earned in your lifetime and I LIKE having a big tax bill because it means I had a good year of earnings.

Got Insecurity?

-Makes 7 figures a year.
-Drives a CX-5.
-Argues with someone online who he has decided is "a drunk 29 year-old with insecurities".

MikeM. I'm going to bed. I have a real job that demands attention later on. Maybe not 7 figures, but it's taught me a lot more about life than your 7 figure job ever has or will, and one thing it's taught me is that people like you have issues. However, I'm not at work, and I have no words of encouragement for some oldster who burns all his time on the forums getting in pissing matches with guys half his age and bragging about his income and how progressive his town is. I don't know why you're not doing things with your day. I don't know why youre not hanging out with friends. I don't know why you seem to desire so much to match wits with someone who you insult so much online. But it doesn't point to a typical person who fits your otherwise demographic (in answer to the same statements of mine? I get bored, this is pre-bed wind down time for me, and sometimes it is just a slow night and I have to pass the time somehow). 'Gnight, and 'Gday. I'm sure I'll be up in another 5-6 hours for work, to post some more dick comments aimed at you, should you persist.

Sigh, you always try to make things personal when they are simply a difference of stated opinions or even facts.

You are one of the people on this forum who bad-mouthed the winter AWD performance of the CX-5 although you had NEVER driven a CX-5 in the snow/ice. Now, as evidence mounts, from multiple credible sources, that supports my early reports of the CX-5's excellent performance in the snow/ice, and proves that your comments belittling the AWD performance of the CX-5 were not based upon real world experience, rather than admitting you didn't know what you were talking about, you double down and try to turn it into a personal pissing match.

Why don't you just admit you have very little winter driving experience and you were wrong?

I had a FWD vehicle thay I drove in snow. I really really hated it. Every time it lost traction, it was all over the place. I much prefer rwd in low traction environments, but that's just me. Awd blows both away.

My dad taught me to drive in snow and enjoy it. I have been driving in snow for fun for 49 years. My dad for 20 years before that Between his family and friends in Vermont and my car guy friendsn exchanging monthly news letters before the internet, that is the first time I have heard anyone say they preferred RWD in snow. I am amazed and in awe.

Wtf is this dick measuring contest??? Ohh btw on the related topic, cx-5 did pretty well on recent blizzard

that is the first time I have heard anyone say they preferred RWD in snow. I am amazed and in awe.

Don't be in awe, you need to remember that he barely has ANY time behind the wheel in the snow with either RWD or FWD! If I could sum up the difference between FWD and RWD in the snow/ice, I would say this:

FWD takes balls to drive properly on ice because, when you're slowing down to enter a corner and you realize you have misjudged available traction as you feel the front push wide, you must immediately get back on the accelerator gently, exactly the opposite of what every fiber in your body is telling you to do. The last thing you want is more speed so a lot of people will freeze up, unable to do it. But it becomes natural with more experience.

RWD, while not having such a favorable weight distribution, is easier to do properly, even if you have limited experience in snow/ice. If your rear end starts to slide wide just get off the throttle and steer into the slide. Instead of speeding up you will be slowing down which is a lot more comforting to someone who has only experienced snow/ice a handful of times.

Of course the easiest of all is RWD with rear engine. Like a an old school VW Bug. This was the preferred vehicle back in the day for beginning snow/ice drivers because everyone felt comfortable with the way they slid and they had impressive steep hill climbing ability for RWD. But a skilled FWD driver in a modern FWD vehicle will blow away such a vehicle due to the fact that a well driven FWD can carry more speed through the corners.

I surely have nothing else in common with unobtanium, but I also tend to prefer AWD/4WD and RWD over FWD. If FWD breaks traction in the front steering is *difficult*. I got stuck driving a Pacifica in a Canadian field beside a windmill because the x wanted to see if it was noisy. They aren't. The crushed stone road wasn't. Took 45 min to get out because I couldn't steer and spin in the mud. It moved best in reverse apparently because weight transferred off the front tires in forward.

I would love to find out what the farmer thought when he saw my mess, and apologize. LOL!

Last edited:
My dad taught me to drive in snow and enjoy it. I have been driving in snow for fun for 49 years. My dad for 20 years before that Between his family and friends in Vermont and my car guy friendsn exchanging monthly news letters before the internet, that is the first time I have heard anyone say they preferred RWD in snow. I am amazed and in awe.
I never drove rwd in the snow. Hence low traction environments. I cannot comment on how it does in the snow. However, fwb was absolutely terrible for me. Any time you lost traction, the nose of the car would point where the gods willed. I prefer the rear end step out than the front, is what I meant. In snow though, I'm betting the engine up front helps with traction, so since I have not drive. Rwd in the snow, all I have is my father's experience and riding with him as a kid in rwd and snow to compare, and I recall how effortlessly he corrected any stepping out of the tail of the car.

Don't be in awe, you need to remember that he barely has ANY time behind the wheel in the snow with either RWD or FWD! If I could sum up the difference between FWD and RWD in the snow/ice, I would say this:

FWD takes balls to drive properly on ice because, when you're slowing down to enter a corner and you realize you have misjudged available traction as you feel the front push wide, you must immediately get back on the accelerator gently, exactly the opposite of what every fiber in your body is telling you to do. The last thing you want is more speed so a lot of people will freeze up, unable to do it. But it becomes natural with more experience.

RWD, while not having such a favorable weight distribution, is easier to do properly, even if you have limited experience in snow/ice. If your rear end starts to slide wide just get off the throttle and steer into the slide. Instead of speeding up you will be slowing down which is a lot more comforting to someone who has only experienced snow/ice a handful of times.

Of course the easiest of all is RWD with rear engine. Like a an old school VW Bug. This was the preferred vehicle back in the day for beginning snow/ice drivers because everyone felt comfortable with the way they slid and they had impressive steep hill climbing ability for RWD. But a skilled FWD driver in a modern FWD vehicle will blow away such a vehicle due to the fact that a well driven FWD can carry more speed through the corners.

Why would you accelerate when the front slides in a corner? This is the opposite of dry pavement with a slide, where you first lift, and then gently brake to shift weight and traction to the front.

Also, correct. Zero experience rwd and snow. Hence my low traction environments statement and not saying snow. Because I dunno. I just know FWD was terrible.

Sigh, you always try to make things personal when they are simply a difference of stated opinions or even facts.

You are one of the people on this forum who bad-mouthed the winter AWD performance of the CX-5 although you had NEVER driven a CX-5 in the snow/ice. Now, as evidence mounts, from multiple credible sources, that supports my early reports of the CX-5's excellent performance in the snow/ice, and proves that your comments belittling the AWD performance of the CX-5 were not based upon real world experience, rather than admitting you didn't know what you were talking about, you double down and try to turn it into a personal pissing match.

Why don't you just admit you have very little winter driving experience and you were wrong?
What multiple credible sources?
I still think mazda has an inferior awd system because it cannot modulate torque 100% to any one tire like other systems. How is 50% front or rear awd even in the same class as all time driven near 50 50 split with 100% variable to any tire at any time? Why can't YOU admit thay the latter might just be more effective....

The talk about the rotary coming back gives me dj vu. Remember when Mazda said they were going to bring the diesel to the US.

Back