Mazda 5 steering noise

ScottSXT

:
2012 Mazda 5 Sport 6spd manual
I have a 2012 Mazda 5 Sport that just turned 7000 miles.

At low speeds I am hearing a noise in the steering wheel. It sounds like it is coming from under the air bag. For lack of a better description, it sounds like a BB rolling around in the steering wheel. It seems more prevalent in cold weather and lower speeds (i.e. turning the wheel to pull into a parking spot).

Any idea as to what this could be? I can pull the air bag and investigate but before I did I thought I would see if anyone else had this problem, it definitely sounds like something loosened and broke off inside the wheel and is floating around.

take it back to the dealer, and make them hear it. 7000 miles on the car, it should be covered under warranty.

take it back to the dealer, and make them hear it. 7000 miles on the car, it should be covered under warranty.

I hear you and may end up doing this. However, if it is something easy I can fix myself in under 30 minutes without spending any $, I'd like to try and do that without the hassle of going to the dealer. Dealers do not like doing warranty work.

Anything you think that is wrong with the car asking as you are covered by warranty dont do it yourself you might void the warranty on the part. Just let the dealer do it, they love it cause Mazda pays for it.

I took the air bag out and found nothing loose inside the wheel.

I found a thread re: a 2010 Mazda 6 where it was noted the clockspring can make some noise. The thread recommended some foam on the clockspring to keep it from rattling. Are clocksprings a common issue on 3s and 5s?

I seem to get more noise when it is colder out, and the noise sounds like it is coming from where the clockspring is. I'd like to have an idea of what could be going on before taking it in for a warranty repair.

Back