Mazda 5 2008 Loud squeal sounds from belt area

igknighted

:
Mazda 5 2008
Hello Everyone:

I need your help as I have very basic limited experience with car's operations. I have Mazda 5 2008 which had been making low squealing sounds which had turned into loud squealing sound on Friday 26th. I opened the hood and noticed the belt would stop for a second and then move on. The car shook and it felt the engine would stall any minute but then it improved and it was drivable again. I decided that I would take it to mechanic on Monday and drove around. It drove fine until late evening when the symptoms came back but this time it was very sever. The squealing sound was very loud and when I tried to speed up, it would not pick up the speed. Thankfully it was rush hour and traffic was moving very slowly. When I made a right turn to park the car on the side to avoid jamming the traffic incase the car stopped, I head white loud bang sound and white come out of the hood at that point, i stopped the vehicle and had CAA tow it to my home. Next day I towed the vehicle to mechanic who started the car and there was absouletely no trace of any squeals; we drove around a bit and didn't hear any sounds or felt any shakes. Mechanic was surprised and he thinks that it could be belt that needs to be replaced.

Today he is planning to check Belt and water pump. I dont feel comfortable where guess work is being by mechanic. I saw some videos where they spray some water over the belt and pulleys to trace the item causing the issue. Since the issue didn't reoccur again when I took it to mechanic, what do you guys think may be the issue here?

Thanks,

It would be even more of a wild guess here with out seeing a car.
Here is a good video on diagnostic a noise but you do need to purchase a tool, it is under $5 at local harbor freight.

It's cold where you are so may be hard to tell, but is your car running hotter than normal and or your radiator fluid low? My guess - your water pump was starting to seize up - so the belt was slipping - causing the squeal. Then something broke in your water pump (cloud of white smoke), freeing up the pulley somehow. The belts shouldn't be stopping - something was not rotating when it should be. Is anything leaking from around the water pump? I think your mechanic is on the right track.

It's cold where you are so may be hard to tell, but is your car running hotter than normal and or your radiator fluid low? My guess - your water pump was starting to seize up - so the belt was slipping - causing the squeal. Then something broke in your water pump (cloud of white smoke), freeing up the pulley somehow. The belts shouldn't be stopping - something was not rotating when it should be. Is anything leaking from around the water pump? I think your mechanic is on the right track.

engine light never turned on, temperature gauge was also normal meaning it was in the centre. It was bottom pulley on left where I noticed belt stopping for a second. if that is where the water pump is then it is possible, it would be that.

Back