Mazda 3s 6 speed MANUAL?

VanguardX

:
CX-5
When is this coming out? I would be really interested as I am currently looking at the new 2015 WRX 6 speed. The Mazda 3 seems to be a much nicer fit and finish so I'd like to try it out.

Any news on when its coming?

No official news about it. So anything we may say its speculation. I would say, 2nd half of this year? But let me tell you this. Being someone who love manual shift, this new transmission is awesome; probably the best AT transmission I've ever use. Extremely responsive at any gear. You should test ride one.

No official news about it. So anything we may say its speculation. I would say, 2nd half of this year? But let me tell you this. Being someone who love manual shift, this new transmission is awesome; probably the best AT transmission I've ever use. Extremely responsive at any gear. You should test ride one.

I test drove the 2.5 Auto mazda 3 and it wasn't so good. Shifts were pretty slow unless going WOT to redline. The car was generally slower than I anticipated. Hoping the manual relieves that.

I owned '98 540iA before. This sGT is fine. 0-60in 7s ain't bad.
Shifting needs to be trained. Modern transmission adapts to your driving style.
Mine is perfectly fine. Can't match my old 540 in acceleration, but probably even better in roadholding.

Yeah, like rvoll said, changed it to sport mode and you'll see the difference. This car can achieve 0 to 60 in a bit under 7s which is impressive for 180HP.

I found myself that sport mode pretty much keeps rev at 3k and doesn't shift as fast as regular mode, giving more torque and acceleration at the cost of lower mpg. When not in sport mode, it shifts very quick and revs stay at 2k or lower, saving a lot of gas.

The 3s is faster than my previous Veloster Turbo (stock car) and uses less gas.

Last edited:
The car is setup for economy. You have to change to sport mode to get quicker shifts and better shift points. Without doing that, you can't really judge the car. It is probably the best auto I've ever owned and since I don't race, the shift points are almost exactly what I would do if I had a manual. Since all of these things are programmed into the car's computer, perhaps someone will sell custom chips that can be programmed the way you want. As it stands, Mazda did a pretty good job for me.

Totally agree! Coming from a manual and this is my first auto Mazda did a great job. Sport mode is there when you need to sacrifice economy. Would not want an auto without sport mode.

Totally agree! Coming from a manual and this is my first auto Mazda did a great job. Sport mode is there when you need to sacrifice economy. Would not want an auto without sport mode.

Do you mean manual? I'm not aware of any of these having a "sport mode" where the shift points are changed.

Do you mean manual? I'm not aware of any of these having a "sport mode" where the shift points are changed.

The new 3's do have a sport mode with the automatic transmission. You push the button and it increases the acceleration pedal pressure to stiffen it's response. It also holds the shift points at red-line for a few seconds before it automatically upshifts for you (give you the chance to shift it/hold it at red line for a second for your drive). I believe it also stiffens the ride slightly, but don't quote me on that. I think it's more for the throttle response and shift points that are adjusted. The steering becomes more weighted as well if I remember reading all the reviews correctly. When I test drove an auto and put it in sport mode, it definitely livened up the car and made it a gag to throw around!

The new 3's do have a sport mode with the automatic transmission. You push the button and it increases the acceleration pedal pressure to stiffen it's response. It also holds the shift points at red-line for a few seconds before it automatically upshifts for you (give you the chance to shift it/hold it at red line for a second for your drive). I believe it also stiffens the ride slightly, but don't quote me on that. I think it's more for the throttle response and shift points that are adjusted. The steering becomes more weighted as well if I remember reading all the reviews correctly. When I test drove an auto and put it in sport mode, it definitely livened up the car and made it a gag to throw around!

I believe only the S models have the sport mode, according to the Mazda USA site. Not sure what else, if anything, it impacts besides the transmission. The specs page doesn't indicate what it does.

Tried it once. It raises the gear change RPM under the same pressure on gas pedal.
MPG might go down, way down....

People, cool those hopes for a 2.5 MT. I visited the Milwaukee Auto Show this week and was informed by the Mazda regional manager that there would be no 2.5 MT until the 2015 MZ3. The 2015 Mazda 6 is about to hit dealerships next week, but the 2015 MZ3 is several months away. Right or wrong, that's what I heard so I am sharing it with the community.

People, cool those hopes for a 2.5 MT. I visited the Milwaukee Auto Show this week and was informed by the Mazda regional manager that there would be no 2.5 MT until the 2015 MZ3. The 2015 Mazda 6 is about to hit dealerships next week, but the 2015 MZ3 is several months away. Right or wrong, that's what I heard so I am sharing it with the community.

Makes me glad I'm in no hurry to buy right now.

Please note that any car made after Jan 01, 2014 can be labeled as 2015 model year.

Since there has been zero word on any manual 2.5 I went and ordered a 2015 WRX 6MT limited with nav/keyless/speakers. Came out to 31800 before taxes and fees, which is a little more than the mazda would have been.

Shame too, cause I would have went to the mazda.

Had to factory order the WRX since the dealer wasnt getting any with the keyless package. Here in May.

Driveway will have a 2014 Cx-5 2.5 and a 2015 WRX fighting for the better spot now lol.

For dealers, when performing a dealer locate, the drop down menu for trim levels gets updated far in advance, and is usually a spot-on indicator as to what will be available. As of a few days ago, the 2015 M3S & M3H S-models show up with the manual option, for both Touring and Grand Touring. No additional options show up which makes me wonder if the GT manual won't have the option for the Technology Package, which wouldn't be that big of a deal for most people, considering it's purely safety related options and i-ELOOP. Looks like there was enough demand after all for the 2014 i-model manuals. We should thank everyone that bought one!

Back