Mazda 3 Issues...can anyone help?

I have a friend that has a Mazda 3 and she's been having issues with her car.
This is her message to me:

So here's the thing, I've had this problem when I get gas after long distances of two or three hours, my car will not start and I have to accelerate while in neutral to have it catch. Now this "issue" has gotten worse. Everytime I get gas or the last two times, I've depressed the excelerator and revved up the engine for it to catch and it wouldn't until I reached 6 to 7 to 8 RPMs and then when the needle dropped down to 1 RPM it would stall out...the last time I got gas, I had to keep it revved up and then drive off and keep it running around the block for it to not stall out while idling out.
I also have my engine light that's on and the codes are
P0455: Evap emission Control system leak large
P2187: System too lean at idle speed 1 bank 1

Do you know anything about any of this?
Thanks
Honestly I haven't had a tune up in a while...so it could be a lot of things ...
it does now when I fill up the tank or has the last two times where when it idles it flat out stalls while before once it caught, it would stay on...
So I don't really know what "catch" means...but basically it seems like the car is stalling at idle.

Are there any known issues with the Mazda 3s with these symptoms?

I haven't seen her car yet, but something tells me the P0455 code might be the cause of her issues...???

Thanks for the help guys!!!

P0455 = Purge valve solenoid.
P2187 = MAF sensor/ MAF sensor wires !!
is it possible you can take pics of the MAF sensor wires, also best way is to take MAf sensor out and clean it out with "CRC MAF sensor cleaner".
purge valve solenoid could be purchased at a dealer, I have an extra one sitting around at home...

p2187 is a condition normally associated with a leak in the intake system, causing fuel trims to skyrocket because unmetered air is entering the engine. there was a TSB for a faulty purge valve which can account for the evap system CEL or the gas cap was loose (seriously)

i had similiar and i had my intake manifold replaced... hopefully thats not the problem for your friend because that thing was superrr expensive

i had similiar and i had my intake manifold replaced... hopefully thats not the problem for your friend because that thing was superrr expensive
im 99.9% sure its not the intake manifold, i was battling both of those codes...
cleaning, and extending MAF wires took care of the P2187, and getting a new purge valve solenoid took care of the other code. car no longer has problems with idle, or in running good.... super smooth :) gotta love the torque

MAF extension is done really easily... I did it for couple of other forum members, they just shipped me the connector, and i made 10-15" wires for them...

My friend took her car to a local mechanic, they found the EGR valve hanging off...
Supposedly that fixed her problems...

Thats messed up, because until now, she always took her car to Mazda...

Hello, I'm new in the Mazda forum. Bought my 05 Mazda 3 , 2.3 liter about 2 months ago. I only started having the exact same problem as AutoXracer describes above about 2 weeks ago now. When i gas up it dies on me unless i rev it up a lil to keep er going and after a couple minutes she clears up. but once in a while at idle she stumbles a little. I have the exact same codes. I would like to know what fixed this problem. I have tried a few things already. ( quick tests.) Thanks!

I have figured it out . It is the Purge Solenoid. Accounts for the evap leak because its stuck open and for the lean because it acts like an intake leak!.

Back