Mazda 2 in the snow?

surething1015

:
2012 mazda 2
Hi! I recently bought a 2012 Mazda 2 and i haven't drove it in the snow/cold yet,just wondering how good it handles the snow, it has traction control so hopefully that will help me from sliding around, i also have two 12inch speakers in my trunk in a box and im worried that might be too much weight in the trunk? Any advice...
-Chelsey

1) Traction assist is no substitute for being able to actually drive a vehicle in the snow. The 2 is no better or worse than any other car in the snow, just learn how to handle it.
2) Since the car is FF, adding weight into the back is really doesn't change much as far as traction or dynamics. If anything it will be more difficult to get the back end out.
3) Buy snow tires.
4) Buy snow tires.
5) No, "all-season" tires suck in the snow. Buy snow tires.
6) See 3-5, repeat as needed.

I'll find out this year, I plan on snow tires. Where in Ohio are you at?

In my experience 4cyl fwd cars suck without either A) brand new all seasons that are known for working well in the snow(like Conti DWS) or B) dedicated snow tires... Which are still better than any all seasons. The DWS I will probably put on my wife's V6 Fusion, but that car is heavy enough up front to have some fair traction without the best tires. My 2 is awful enough in rain that snow tires are the only option for winter IMO.

I talked to the dealer when I bought my car and he said I wouldn't need winter tires since my tires are small the winter tires they put on cars are usually smaller too, I just hope I don't get stuck in the snow a lot since mazda 2s are small cars,and I'm from the Cleveland area sometimes winters are really bad sometimes there not.

Snow tires are a must. Sure, you could get by with all-seasons, but in reality, a dedicated set of snows would be best. Not to mention the trade-off of having both sets last a little longer than if you were to have just one or the other. Nothing against the OEM all-seasons, as they handle the ice/snow fairly decently for an AS tire, but the difference is night and day.

IMO, spending the $500 or so for a decent set of winters is your best bet.

I had zero problems getting through a Minnesota winter last year with more snow and cold than usual.
I went with Dunlop Winter Maxx tires since they come in OEM size and are slightly cheaper
than Bridgestone Blizzaks.

I myself am looking at a set of snowtires this winter. I was thinking of picking up 14" Miata wheels as they're super cheap locally and the tires might be a tad cheaper in a smaller size.

We run Cheapy snows on the girlfriends Mazda 2 and its an absolute beast in the snow! Even with the stock rubber it wasn't too bad, but the snows really made a HUGE difference.

Snow tires will be a must. Even with narrow tires and the FF engine layout the 2 will suffer in the snow with the stock tires. I got stuck more times last Winter than I care to recount. I think it has to do with the overall light weight of the car because my wife's Jetta with the same engine layout and all-season tires did remarkably better despite having gobs or torque (TDI). Also, turn traction control off. It'll do nothing but cut power to the wheels the instant any wheel spin is detected.

The mazda 2 drives fine if you have new tires or good threads. snow tires highly recommended. BTW i drove my speed6 in the snow with 3/32 threads left. thank god for AWD.

1470155_10151839200983616_68065753_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1473034_10151827117078616_1716681933_n1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1455855_10151827116923616_651357432_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Snow tires and even lowered you can drive and have fun. The 2 is great in the white stuff. Sometimes you got to remove the TDC in heavy snow, I personally hate TDC.

I ran last winter on stock suspension and tires in the snow (I live in Colorado, so we get a fair amount of it), and had very few problems that can't be attributed to my driving, rather than the car itself. It does very well on the snow out of the box, and you can manage with competent all-season tires. Snow tires are helpful, but that should be a given. I think having a manual helps meter the power out so you don't get too much wheelspin...can't really say how it performs with the automatic.

Overall, this car does well in the snow, and you could bang on about "FWD" this and "snow tires" that, but I was impressed with how sure-footed this little car is on the snow and ice.

We own two 2's with autos and stock tires and live in Minnesota. My wife got hers stuck once, but that was because she got it high-centered on too much snow at the end of the driveway (took me an hour to dig it out -- at 2am when she had to go to work, of course). Put snow tires on one and a 2 will be an absolute tank, otherwise as long as you're a good driver you'll do fine.

The stock tires aren't good for much other than fuel economy and wear.

My mazda2 kicked winter's ass this year. I live in upstate NY, and we had a 'real' winter for the first time in several years. I put studded snows(probably overkill) on the front and the little 2 was an absolute beast. Better in the snow, by far, than my WRX on allseasons.

Having run the car for 2 seasons (one stock, one lowered) I can safely say, I definitely prefer the handling lowered. I've gotten stuck in deeper snow though, but I just dug myself out of that one.

Having run the car for 2 seasons (one stock, one lowered) I can safely say, I definitely prefer the handling lowered. I've gotten stuck in deeper snow though, but I just dug myself out of that one.

Same here, I got stuck once so far. The Yokohama's winter tires that the dealer gave for free when I bought the car sucks balls.

My GF's 2 is at stock height it does well in the deep stuff but mine is more fun, feels like a little rally car.

I had a Speed3 2010 and it was awful in the white stuff, TDC was always fighting the car. I turned it off every time I used to get in the car, but it felt like ESP wasn't turned off and it was fighting e-brake turns or drifting inputs that I wanted to rotate the car. The understeer was a pain. One day of winter I took my GF's 2 for a ride in the white stuff, it was a blast. It reminded me of my old Focus ZX3, and it's a good thing. A little true red tank!

In spring I sold the Speed3 and got me a 2. My plan was to own the 2 and getting a bike. But now with the new MX-5 coming out... fck the bike and hello MX-5 :)

Bought a used 2011 Mazda 2 Yozora at the beginning of April this year. It had low profile tires with not the greatest tread. Next day we had a snow storm and I had to drive it before the streets had been completely plowed. Went over an overpass sideways!!
Had Michelin X Ice X 3's put on it at the end of October and yesterday we had a significant snow fall. With the winter tires my car is now a mini tank.

I am thinking of the blizzack ws80 yokohama iceguard or the dunlop winter maxx. Anybody knows which ones are better?

With the all season tires turning off traction control was soooo much better. I rather power steer and swing the back around than under steering into something.

I am thinking of the blizzack ws80 yokohama iceguard or the dunlop winter maxx. Anybody knows which ones are better?

With the all season tires turning off traction control was soooo much better. I rather power steer and swing the back around than under steering into something.

WS80 for sure. Check out Tirerack.com for the surveys on winter tires.

Also if you're looking to power steer and swing the back around don't get winter tires. Half-way through your break out they'll nab the road and cause all sorts of angry commentary.

WS80 for sure. Check out Tirerack.com for the surveys on winter tires.

Also if you're looking to power steer and swing the back around don't get winter tires. Half-way through your break out they'll nab the road and cause all sorts of angry commentary.

I was thinking winter tires for the front and all season for the rear.

Back