Max Archer's Mazda2 Build Thread

Max Archer

:
'12 Mazda 2 Touring 5MT/'87 325IS 2DR 5MT
Might as well make a build thread and stop updating the intro thread.

First off, I'm covering the car as a project and long term test on The Garage Blog. This link will take you to all of the posts about it, if you want to read my extensive ramblings about the car: http://thegarageblog.com/garage/tag/mazda2project/ I'll keep it short on this thread.

I bought the car less than a week after driving one at a well-known canyon in SoCal. I traded my '09 Si in on it, only a couple hundred bucks changed hands. It's super fun to drive, as well as economical. I'm planning on doing all kinds of stuff with this car, from daily driving, to meets, to AutoX and HPDEs, and it's being modded accordingly. I haven't done too much to it yet, just added XM radio, the factory optional armrest, a shift knob, and, yesterday, Racing Beat springs.

These photos are from before the springs-

DSC_4200.jpg by maximstensel, on Flickr

DSC_4098.jpg by maximstensel, on Flickr

Mazda 2 Interior by maximstensel, on Flickr

Here's the new shift knob. The throw feels really nice with it on. It looks good in the car, too.

P1010025.jpg by maximstensel, on Flickr

I've got a decent mod list planned. Top priority now are tires (probably 195/55/15 Dunlop Star Specs) and wheels to put them on. (Want 6ULs really badly, but more likely to get TRMotorsport C1s or C1Ms.) Also coming soon will be Corksport's Short Ram Intake and rear torsion bar stiffener, which has a similar effect to a rear sway bar. I'll also be doing some decent brake pads before the car sees track time. Farther off, I'd like to get an exhaust, probably an axleback because the cat is welded into the midpipe on these cars, an ECU flash, which isn't available yet, stainless brake lines, and a few cosmetic mods, like a stubby antenna.

I did the springs yesterday, and here's a crappy pic of the car with them on:

Mazda2 on Racing Beat springs. by maximstensel, on Flickr

I'm liking 'em so far. I haven't hit anywhere good to see how they handle yet, aside from some onramps, so I can't really talk about the performance difference. It needs to be aligned before I can really say anything, as well, but I'm doing that tomorrow. The ride isn't bad, though. It's firm, maybe a little more than I expected, but it's not bouncy or harsh, and definitely not any stiffer than most factory performance cars. It's not too different from a GTi or how my Si was. You can feel a lot through your hands and feet now, it's not bumpy enough to be uncomfortable, and you feel like you're way more connected to the road.

As for the look, it's a pretty subtle difference, but IMO it transforms the look of the car. It now looks like a performance car, which is exactly what I wanted.

Got the car aligned today. Finally fixed the crooked wheel, and straightened out any issues caused by the suspension. I can definitely feel the "wobble" in the squishy stock tires, they have to go ASAP.

I took the car through a high-speed twisty interchange thing on the way back. The car's way more stable in high-speed cornering. There's still quite a bit of body roll, and it's now clear to me that it will definitely benefit from a front sway bar in addition to the rear one. I'm really looking forward to hitting some lower-speed twisties.

What's missing in this photo? Anyone.... anyone? :D

6976365514_1f58991f2d_z.jpg

Wear did you get the shift knob and how much?

http://garagestar.com/shop/shift_knob_stainless.html I got mine from him at a meet but it's $55 shipped. 10x1.25 is the size you want.

QUOTE=Font Motorsports;5948897]What's missing in this photo? Anyone.... anyone? :D

6976365514_1f58991f2d_z.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, they're totally on the list. Now that I have the stainless shift knob, the rings will match, too. I also want to get some gauge faces from you, but haven't decided which yet, probably the upcoming white ones.

Nice job so far Max. Keep it up! What's next?

Tires are the big thing I really really need. The stock ones are horrible. Wheels would be nice too. I need to see if I can find somebody to buy my stock wheels and maybe tires, I should be able to get enough to cover the wheels I'm looking at if I sell them. I also could really use sway bars, and I'd like an intake. Oh, and brake pads.

Since the car's being featured in a national (and Canadian) blog, I'm hoping I can get some of the parts companies to hook some stuff up, but I haven't had any luck with the ones I've contacted so far.

http://garagestar.com/shop/shift_knob_stainless.html
Tires are the big thing I really really need. The stock ones are horrible. Wheels would be nice too. I need to see if I can find somebody to buy my stock wheels and maybe tires, I should be able to get enough to cover the wheels I'm looking at if I sell them. I also could really use sway bars, and I'd like an intake. Oh, and brake pads.

Since the car's being featured in a national (and Canadian) blog, I'm hoping I can get some of the parts companies to hook some stuff up, but I haven't had any luck with the ones I've contacted so far.

If you weren't in California, I'd offer to take your stock wheels off your hands :\

Rolled over 3000!

3000 mi! by maximstensel, on Flickr

I also ordered my wheels today. TRMotorsport C1Ms in Bright Silver. Looking forward to seeing them on the car, hopefully they fit well with my ride height. Gonna rock my stock tires on them for a couple months until I decide what to get, I would've waited but I need my stockers off so I can sell them.

Looks good. It's great how much of a difference in looks alone that wider wheels make to out cars. Even with the stock tires, it's a drastic improvement.

How good does that xm onyx radio fit there.. looks like it fits perfectly.. how do keep it in place?

It's actually just stuck on there with the adhesive pad thingy that comes on the mount. I can't remember if it's stuck to the bottom or the side of that little storage area, I think the bottom.

looks good.. would you agree that it fits perfectly?

It's actually just stuck on there with the adhesive pad thingy that comes on the mount. I can't remember if it's stuck to the bottom or the side of that little storage area, I think the bottom.

Back