many issues with my P5 - looking for thoughts and input

What should I do with my P5?

• Keep it and limp it along. DIY the major stuff.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Keep it, spend the money to make it right.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Do the absolute minimum. Sell in the spring.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

uiuc240

:
2002 Protege5
OK, so this is going to be a long thread. I'm hoping that some of you will read it and offer suggestions.

1. I have a rattle/clunk in my front end. I'm thinking it could possibly be a loose bolt on the exhaust J-pipe that I replaced, but more likely a suspension clunk.
1a. If it's the exhaust flange, does anyone know where I can get flange bolts besides RockAuto? I'd like to pick up locally and save on shipping, but the Mazda dealer only sells the STUDS that go there...I'm wondering if there is another car that matches?
1b. If it's a suspension piece, which one is *most likely* to fix my problem? End links?

2. My driver's side door panel is busted. My elbow cracked it. Has anyone tried to fix this themselves?

3. My clutch pedal "snags" at a couple of spots in the travel - is this just something a little squirt of lithium grease will fix?

4. My motor mounts are all floppy - which ones should I replace? And really how hard is it?

5. I replaced my front pads and now one of them is only partially engaging - I'm sure it's due to the spring clip being fub'd by the previous brake shop. I haven't checked yet - is this a part I can buy separately somewhere?

6. I have rust on the car. A bad spot at the trailing edge of the passenger fender. Should I try and do a self fix for now since money is super tight? If so, what do people recommend? Just sand it down and hit it with some silver Krylon?

7. My passenger rear brake caliper was recently replaced. I *swear* when it came out, the slider pin and the adjuster pin were in the opposite locations I've seen in pictures. I put it back the same way. Brakes work, but the parking brake doesn't. Which adjuster should I turn and which direction? Also, should make the adjustment with or without the cable attached?

8. Here's the bigger question:

My 2002 P5 is showing its age. It needs attention. Part of me wants to try and figure out a way to freshen it up on a budget and keep driving it. Another part of me wants to just cut my losses as soon as possible and just buy something else. Any thoughts? It's currently my daily driver.

Unless you can keep the car as a weekend or second car, sell it. When a car starts showing it's age, which the Protege seems to do about 100k before most cars, you'll spend all your weekends replacing worn out suspension parts, brakes, and motor mounts, and doing maintenance like timing belts and water pumps.

Back