making a knocking noise

ohioan

:
Ms3, silver gt
...just started making a knocking noise... the car is shaking at idle and there is a knocking noise from the bay. What is it?
Was on my way off the highway when it started. Was in 6th at about 65 mph and went into 4th downshifting and it just started acting crazy! I'm so scared that my baby is broke :( WHAT CAN I DO????!!!!!!

I don't want to drive the car until it's fixed!

Anyone think they know what it is?

You bent a rod.... I would take off any aftermarket parts and call the dealer. Don't drive it unless you want it punch a hole through the block... If you aren't in warranty anymore then it's time to go forged while the block is still intact.

****! Out of warranty. How much does this cost out of pocket for me?

I went out and turned the car on and the noise wasn't there anymore. I didn't drive though. I'm about to go try to see if the noise is still there. Might just put it into a wall if it is. Cheaper that way

ok, took it around the block and there isn't anything at all. What the flip kinda sense does that make?

If it's a bent rod or something, it can't "unbend" itself, right? And it would be constant if something is bent in the engine, no?

Oh, and i have NOT A SINGLE MOD on this car... Have no flipping clue what's going on here :((gah)

I need some help(anyone)

That is very odd. Only other thing I could think is the engine was firing out of order causing it to knock and would cause it to shake like that because of it firing out of balance....

I would be very careful with it, reset the ecu so maybe if that was the case it will clear it up.

But yeah when I say you bent a rod I mean that a piston connecting rod actually bends slightly. If you are lucky to not blow up when that happens you could get away with just replacing the pistons and rods.

...well drove it about 100 miles today and nothing was happening. I didn't get on it at all, too scared to.

Another thing is it was making it when I would release the clutch. If I had it depressed, it wouldn't make the noise. I'm going to call a shop and set up an appointment tomorrow. There's a transmission place at the top of my street. Wish me luck if you would!

I would be very careful with it, reset the ecu so maybe if that was the case it will clear it up.
How do I do that?

Everything seems fine now. I did take it to the transmission shop at the top of my street and they hooked it up to a computer and they ran some tests and nothing happened. They couldn't find anything wrong.

I had a Hyundai for a while (I know) and what you're describing happened to me. I took it to the dealer and they pulled the motor. It wound up being the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank loosened up. They torqued them back down and gave it back to me. If it was that though, or anything bent, it wouldn't just go away. Has to be something ignition, or computer, or fuel related.....
Good luck

To check it out go in 6th gear and hit about 2000 rpm. Then romp on the b**** and you will then know it everyting is aok.

In other words, if the engine is on the verge of blowing, this should put it over the edge.

Boom!

ahhhh.... still good, and I don't want to do the said test stated above

I'm :) with the way it is!

Back