Lsd

Nextruss

:
2003.5 MSP (Titanium)
Last edited:
From looking at all three and comparing, I would find out exactly what comes with the LSD from PG. It may be cheaper from there, and come with the "installation kit" already. Also remember both Protege Garage and SU offer free shipping, so you won't have to worry about paying for shipping on top of the price - that's the only thing with Crossover, is that you still have to pay shipping. As far as having the assurance that the welding is done right, you could always buy the one from Crossover, then get the bearings from the dealer (depending on price, www.onlinemazdaparts.com) that you need, and get it welded by a place local to you.

Last edited:
of course then the second question, is this even worth trying to attempt the replacement myself or what else could be damaged from the failure of the LSD. When it started to die on me, it sounded like horrible metal on metal rattling/shaking and then eventually after the car was at a stop, i had no gears left. the car feels like the clutch engages, but of course just revs like its in neutral, even in reverse.

I would recommend buying the PG one, from what i see around they have the best weld for the best price :D

i have the protegegarage welded one and i was very happy with it, as soon as you order it they take it to a shop and have it welded very good too, i hope you did not try to drive or move it to much cuz you could **** up your tranny very eazy

I had a tranny shop put mine in, cost me $400 to put it and my hardened gears in, I honestly don't feel comfortable with internals of a tranny.. Lot of things in there that could get messed up easily

^yeah i saw that willkill, but don't really know how good they are, i havent heard much from that company.

also, im still running on stock clutch/flywheel @ 55000 miles. you guys think i should just order new clutch/flywheel combo at this point also and have it all installed together?

that helical one from MFactory looks real nice, more similar to the Quaife design?

Last edited:
I'm looking into getting one of the Spec clutches, think its worth going up a level to their stage 2 plus or their stage 3? I like a more aggressive clutch feel under my foot.

what makes the helical LSD's better than the design implemented in the OEM style ones? (im still learning what i can about drivetrains)

that sucks man. i would help but don't have any experience with the internals of a tranny. you could register at carolinamazdas.com. I'm over there and there might be someone in the local area that has done this that may be able to save you some money. best of luck

i cant decide do i go with the exedy stage 1 or stage 2? would these two models be the same as comparing between a spec stage 2 and stage 3?

single disc vs puck design?

what makes the helical LSD's better than the design implemented in the OEM style ones? (im still learning what i can about drivetrains)

Helical LSD's are damn near indestructible... while the stock MSP ones are basically a modified open diff, and (as you found out) are not very strong at all. Also the torque biasing capabilities are hardly even in the same ball park.

Back