Lower mileage - spark plugs maybe?

peter.sellers

:
MS3
So my mileage has dropped from mid 27s to 25s (city driving) for the last 4 months.

I got an oil change done, cleaned the MAF sensor, checked tire pressure et al.

But no improvement. Could my plugs be bad then? I have only 24K miles on the car.

If so, would it be a good idea to change all 4 plugs?
Is NGK Laser Iridium ILTR6A-8G the preferred brand?
I am thinking of buying them and getting a shop to change them out because I don't have the tools. How much time would it take to do this?
Do I need to do an re-gapping before they go in?

Thanks

07 MS3 - mods- Cobb SRI and Forge BPV

Last edited:
No one?

Anyhow, I researched some more.

I am trying to choose between the Denso ITV20 or ITV22 (step colder). For the kind of mods I have, which makes more sense?

No one?

Anyhow, I researched some more.

I am trying to choose between the Denso ITV20 or ITV22 (step colder). For the kind of mods I have, which makes more sense?

I'd get the ITV22 if you plan on getting the Cobb AP anytime in the future.. You could do them yourself, it's really easy. I think the most time consuming thing is just getting the intercooler out of the way. It's a 20-30 min job.

Just called up a stealership for s**** and giggles to ask them about what kind of plugs they recommend.

The guy was like 'You don't want to use anything besides the factory plug......' and so on and I asked him the price. $18.5 a piece! I can get 2 Densos for that price.

Anyway looks like I am going with the ITV20 for the basic mods I have.

Has anybody had problems with these plugs in the past?

Just called up a stealership for s**** and giggles to ask them about what kind of plugs they recommend.

The guy was like 'You don't want to use anything besides the factory plug......' and so on and I asked him the price. $18.5 a piece! I can get 2 Densos for that price.

Anyway looks like I am going with the ITV20 for the basic mods I have.

Has anybody had problems with these plugs in the past?

Just remember to check the gap before putting them in!

Do you still need to get plugs? I will have my set of Denso Itv22's going up for sale soon, I've only had them in my car for the past week, LOVE them!! but I'm experimenting with different plugs to see what else works with my tune.. worst case, I'll rebuy them if the next brand doesn't work out.

Do you still need to get plugs? I will have my set of Denso Itv22's going up for sale soon, I've only had them in my car for the past week, LOVE them!! but I'm experimenting with different plugs to see what else works with my tune.. worst case, I'll rebuy them if the next brand doesn't work out.

I just got my ITV20s. I decided to go with the 20 instead of the 22 because of my more basic mods like SRI and BPV.

Update: For the last few days, when I start the car in the morning, sometimes it will hesitate to start up. Almost like it is having difficulty starting up. But it has turned on every time. I just feel like this is some kind of ticking time bomb that I need to look at asap.

Could this be the bad plugs or battery dying?

Update: For the last few days, when I start the car in the morning, sometimes it will hesitate to start up. Almost like it is having difficulty starting up. But it has turned on every time. I just feel like this is some kind of ticking time bomb that I need to look at asap.

Could this be the bad plugs or battery dying?

Did you check the gap to make sure they were at .03? It could be misfiring.. Are you getting any stuttering when you give it anymore than 50% throttle?

Did you check the gap to make sure they were at .03? It could be misfiring.. Are you getting any stuttering when you give it anymore than 50% throttle?

Oh, I haven't put the new plugs in. Still using the old factory plugs. No stuttering or anything when driving. Just the initial big hesitation during start up and that too it is random.

But I was wondering if it is the plugs or the battery.

Btw, for the ITV 20, not 22, what should the gap be?

Thanks

Oh, I haven't put the new plugs in. Still using the old factory plugs. No stuttering or anything when driving. Just the initial big hesitation during start up and that too it is random.

But I was wondering if it is the plugs or the battery.

Btw, for the ITV 20, not 22, what should the gap be?

Thanks

They should be at .030-.032 still which is stock gap.

what has changed in the last 4 months? have you been taking more short trips? unless the car is fully warmed up, our gas mileage absolutely blows. the difference in mpg between taking 5-10 mile trips and 20 mile trips is quite large even if you're in similar traffic conditions.

Back