Loud Click!

pat_neumerz

:
MP3 258/1500 [blue]
Ok so my protege has about 166,500 or so miles. Every once and a while i hear a loud ( and i mean LOUD) click from the front end. I can feel it in the pedals when it clicks. Its not motor related I dont believe its definitely suspension. I cannot make it happen on command and it seems to happen randomly. It happens occasionally when turning the wheel. Its concerning me as obviously somethings wrong. I crawled under there and nothing is visibly broken in the front end but Im not exactly a suspension guru. Any ideas on what it could be/ how to check? Thanks!

Could it be some bushings up front? With that many miles they might be old and tires and not letting things rotate as easy causing popping sounds.

I did wheel bearings all four. They were totally fine. Rear endlinks are new maybe the fronts need replacement? I would say front swaybar bushings need replacement is there a guide (link me!!) on these forums of the best route to replacing them? Above all id say the struts are on there way out. Ive noticed that i feel almost a loss in steering when Hear/feel this scary ass click. The wheels kind of jump when i make hard right turns and i have to correct it right away. Blahh this problems going to get worse im sure.

I did wheel bearings all four. They were totally fine. Rear endlinks are new maybe the fronts need replacement? I would say front swaybar bushings need replacement is there a guide (link me!!) on these forums of the best route to replacing them? Above all id say the struts are on there way out. Ive noticed that i feel almost a loss in steering when Hear/feel this scary ass click. The wheels kind of jump when i make hard right turns and i have to correct it right away. Blahh this problems going to get worse im sure.

could be slack in the rack n pinion

Thats an interesting thought, but wouldnt it be more consistent? This is only happening when I dip hard right into corners.

Last edited:
Since no resolution was posted, I'll dig up this kind of old thread and add to it a bit.

I have a similar problem, when I am backing out of my driveway (wheel turned hard to the right and one front wheel off the curb), about a third of the time, I hear a fairly loud metallic pop. It seems like I can avoid it by straightening the wheels before they reach the curb. Then when I go over the speed bump down the road from me, I can kind of feel it pop back in, although it is much more subtle.

Another possibly related symptom is when I am taking a somewhat hard turn over a bumpy road I can feel a very subtle jerk in the steering that makes the car feel less solid.

At least that is how my imagination is interpreting it. I've had all sorts of noises from my sway bar bushings and endlinks over the last couple years and have replaced my bushings and endlinks a number of times, but this noise seems substantially different.

I am really leaning towards my ball joints, but I cannot get them to budge with the car in the air with any force that I can apply. There is no slop in my steering or any noise when I wiggle the steering wheel back and forth which takes the blame off the rack or tie rods.

I actually put urethane bushings in my control arms last year about this time. My ball joints seemed fine then, but that doesn't mean they are still ok. The urethane bushings may also have put more stress on them and caused them to fail.

The popping started a couple months ago and hasn't really gotten worse. I have noticed my CV boots are leaking, not cracked just seeping out underneath the band clamps. The axles could probably be replaced, but I think if the noise was coming from any of the CV joints, it wouldn't roll too smoothly down the road. They are more known for making a clicking noise, not a pop.

My plan is to actually take my front sway bar off and see if the noise disappears. If it doesn't, I can at least rule them out. Then I guess it's cheapest things first.

Ok, so I put the car in the air again and tugged on everything, and somehow my left front wheel bearing is shot. My right went out about a year ago now, and I bought two new bearings, and took my knuckles into a NAPA to have the new ones pressed in.

They destroyed my right hub and I had to buy a new one, but they said my left bearing was still fine and recommended just getting my lugs replaced since I had broken off one of them.

So I put both knuckles back on and sent the extra wheel bearing back. Dumb. I should have just had them replace it while I had it off the car, but I was in the "I don't want to spend any more money than I have to" mode after popping for the hub at the local stealership so I took the mechanic's advice.

Oh well, at least it's something I know how to do and as long as I don't have to replace the hub, is fairly cheap.

I had the same sounding symptom at one point. One side of my front sway bar was not connected and had to be bolted back up.

Back