Lots of drivetrain issues

eskimo0101

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD
2 weeks ago my transfer case decided to die. I had done the DIY drain and fill once but it was pretty late (45k) and the oil that came out was really bad. We took a couple long road trips with the car and when we got home I noticed the tell tale hot oil smell. A quick look under the car and I could see oil sprayed back on the underside, some of it ending up on the exhaust pipes causing the smell, starting around the transfer case. Our 2012 Touring is still under it's CPO powertrain warranty so I dropped it at the dealer and a couple hours later I got the call I expected... "PTO (transfer case) is cooked, going to replace it, it happens sometimes blah blah". Next day we pick it up and all seems well.

A couple days later I hop in it (wife is the primary driver) and I noticed when I put it in drive the transmission is making a pretty bad clunk. The whole car shudders with a bang. Perfectly smooth going into reverse, just an issue with drive. Drop it off again at the dealer and wait for a call.

First call, "Looks like there's a TSB for a software update, we're going to flash it and you can pick it up tonight".

Second call, about 2 hours later, "We just got off the phone with Mazda and they're have us replace the transmission control module. If you can leave the car overnight (it's Friday now) we can overnight the part and have the car back to you late Saturday". Have at it hoss, it's your dime.

Surprisingly, at least to me, the TCU solved it. The way it was banging I was sure it was mechanical. Car shifts like butter now. Really glad I paid a little extra for a CPO car though because this would have been a VERY expensive 2 weeks had these not been warrantied repairs.

There doesn't seem to be a recommendation for transfer and rear axle oil change so I will work to the RAV4 schedule of every 2 years or 24k as it's virtually identical.

Interesting about the transmission module, I wonder if that is the fix for all these issues that keep getting reported on Skyactive transmissions?

If you look at DIY thread on here about changing the transfer case oil I think you'll find 2yr/24k is really pushing it. Now that I have a nice new one I plan on doing the first change around 5k to get the low quality fluid Ford supplies out of there and then every 10k after that.

Bump...

Transmission is making the bad clunk going into drive again any time it's been driven long enough to get hot. Back at the dealership today, basically just waiting for the call that they're swapping the trans.

Bump...

Transmission is making the bad clunk going into drive again any time it's been driven long enough to get hot. Back at the dealership today, basically just waiting for the call that they're swapping the trans.
What happened finally ?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Strangely enough, dealer wasn't able to reproduce it. They put 52 miles on it trying, then filled it with gas, washed it and gave it back. We took it on a little 3 hour road trip this weekend and it didn't do it once. I don't get it because it was consistently doing it after about a 15-20 minute drive around town.

Back