Lost my card key

maseraudi

:
Mazda CX9
hello to the group I am new here.
I have a CX9 2010 Grand touring and just lost one of the card key.
Dealer wants $150 for the new key + $400 for the "transmitter"?
What is this scam? Can anyone enlighten my poor soul and even more important can I hack another solution.
Thanks in advance for your help
Fred

your card has a separate key in it, the new transmitter dosent come with key in it, thats why you have to buy it separate, plus programming to your car... it adds up. I don't know why would you want to "hack" something on the car that new....

Hello Mustard97 and thank you for your prompt reply.
By hacking I mean can I buy the key and transmitters on ebay and try to program it myself? I am sure the dealer is only performing a simple command, no disrespect but these guys are usually not known to be "master programmers". Please correct me if I am wrong!
Cheers!
Fred

Maseraudi (nice username, good twist) tell that dealer to GET SOME. Do you know that I had a brand new 11' style advanced fob and sold it on ebay, and it only sold for 10 bucks? EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY. And if you walk into the pats department, the actual aux key should only be about 35.00 retail price.

for instance... https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
if that link does not work... it is ebay item# 180784508470

by the way if you do an ebay search...the cx-9 is not the only vehicle that shares the same fob.... i think the 6 and maybe the 3 have the same advanced keyless fob, with the only differences being possibly the shape of the vehicle on the hatch button. (i bought a keyless card, and the hatch button showed a shape of a car vs. an suv and that was the only difference.

If you only have 1 remaining fob, the dealer will have to program it for you. Only 1 hour of mechanical labor is needed, any more and go somewhere else.

I don't remember if the cx-9 has a simple learn procedure or is it something more advanced that they need their scan tool for, been a while since i worked at the mazda dealer.

$550 for a second key is a rip-off.
$300 or so is about the right price.
If you should lose both, the price tag will go up to $1000 since they need to replace the ECU together.
So, before you lose your remaining one, get the second one NOW.

Since you need to have a dealer program it for you, you need to find a dealer that is willing to
program a key purchased from elsewhere. Not every dealer is willing to do that.
If you find one, buying from eBay can be an option. However, make sure you get a brand new one
to save from you more headache.

Alternatively, you should shop another dealer around your area.

The reason you need dealer to program the second key is to prevent unauthorized duplicate of keycard.
Think: vallet or repair shop personnels
If you have two, you get to program the 3rd or 4th on your own.

Last edited:
If you have two, you get to program the 3rd or 4th on your own.

Can you point me to the instructions for this? Didn't find it with a quick search through the manual.

Ceric, by the way, thanks for answering these CX-9 questions all over the internet. Your answers proved very valuable to me as I was deciding on and purchasing my CX-9.

good timing on this thread. Just bought an 08 GT and my asshole dealer is refusing to replace one of the smart cards. He says as long as I have on that works that's all his commitment. I'm exhuasted already and need them to address other issues so i'm going to suck this one unless someone can cite actual laws or if there is usually some fine print in contracts that says I need 2 working keys.

I replaced with fresh batteries and it still acts up. Works sometimes, others it doesn't. seems like I need to squeeze it somewhere around the battery to get it to make contact and work.

SOO since I have 2, maybe i can get it working long enough to program it based on the above how-to. Does this look like a fair price?
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I can also buy and tell a-hole dealer to at least program it for free.

Ponchera, that one on ebay will work (no hatch button, so I'm assuming you don't have a power liftgate). Couple of things though, that price is high. You should be able to get one on ebay for 60 - 80 max. Some have "make an offer" and that would be a great avenue to try. Most of these on ebay have knockoff aux keys that are not Mazda aux keys. Just beware of it suddenly falling apart into pieces, but the main card is oem.

True, if you can just get your problematic card to work for a couple minutes, that's all you need to get a 3rd programmed. That was my exact situation as well. I now have one in a lockbox that works only most of the time, so I bought a third so that I can stash the problematic one in the lock box just in case something happens to one of the others now.

yep no power liftgate installed. I couldn't find it for cheaper and the seller has 100% feedback so i thought maybe a winner here. I just don't need another hassle.

BTW, can the power liftgate be installed?

OK fellas, stupid question time! Does the metal key within the card key have any electronics in it? If not, can I take that metal key to my local ACE and get it duplicated? We lost one of the card keys and I need a spare for that "just in case" situation.

The metal key has an RFID inside the plastic part.
You can duplicate the metal key at the shop, but it will only let you inside, not starting the CX9
(i.e. you cannot turn the ignition cylinder).

Can you point me to the instructions for this? Didn't find it with a quick search through the manual.

Ceric, by the way, thanks for answering these CX-9 questions all over the internet. Your answers proved very valuable to me as I was deciding on and purchasing my CX-9.

hello, maybe this will help you out as well, http://carkeyadvice.com/step-by-step-fob-programming-guides/mazda was just reading this thread looking for some advice for a lost card key and i was researching as well, i am trying to follow the instructions in that link. i'll let you know if it worked for me.. cheers! (2thumbs)

Back