Looks like I am in the wheelhop club...

Super Unique

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica
Had my first go at the track tonight. Not very good times at all....

If I try to launch hard, it hops like a mother. It was so bad it triggered the brake light, Tire pressure monitor light, and even turned on the windshield wipers all by itself (freak)

Also it didn't seem to pull hard like it does on the road. My boost seems very inconsistant. Hits hard some days, not so good others. This combined with intense heat and humidity cause in my opinion piss poor 1/4 mile times.

I was only able to manage the following as my best run

R/T .115
60 2.57
330 6.928
1/8 10.314
MPH 72.38
1000 13.202
1/4 15.599
MPH 91.69

pretty bad numbers. I did 3 runs against a mustang bullit (friends car) and he spanked me all 3 times. On the last run I managed to get a hole shot on him and was ahead for the 1/8 but he still pulled by me top end.

Then on the way home when it got cooler outside it pulled hard again like normal... WTH?

Am I expecting too much to at least get high 14s when the outside temps are in the 90s?

solve that wheel hop you will be in the mid 14s in the 90s.. did you update that motor mount??

ya you need a MM and when you are sitting in line waiting to run put some ice or water on your IC and keep the hoop open.Im sure your IC was heat soaked..

I was leaving the car turned off as much as possible while waiting in line. I did not open the hood however.

How much would driver weight affect the time? I am pretty big @ 300lbs. Not a lightweight by any means. 6 foot 4 and stocky as hell.

ever look at Nitrous express Ntercoolers? or Meth injection. i am in similar weather. southern louisiana. I am looking into Meth injection.

I was leaving the car turned off as much as possible while waiting in line. I did not open the hood however.

How much would driver weight affect the time? I am pretty big @ 300lbs. Not a lightweight by any means. 6 foot 4 and stocky as hell.

Well if you know you are going to the track you could take out your spare tire and jack,Try to only have about 1/4 tank of gas or so,Put about 20psi of air in the front tires and more then normal in the rear.As far as your weight there is nothing you can do about that for now but the lighter the car is the better.

Super Unique - Did you run it at bithlo? That's where I ran in the same kind of conditions and I have no problems running low 14's there with my minor mods (Cobb SRI, MM). My best being 13.97@99.92 so I'm sure you can do a lot better even though you weigh about 150lbs more than I do.

1/4 tank of gass

27-29 psi front tires.

Launch @ 2500rpm with a quick slip of the clutch while modulating throttle to limit wheel-spin.

Shift @ 5700rpms

Last edited:
Super Unique - Did you run it at bithlo? That's where I ran in the same kind of conditions and I have no problems running low 14's there with my minor mods (Cobb SRI, MM). My best being 13.97@99.92 so I'm sure you can do a lot better even though you weigh about 150lbs more than I do.

1/4 tank of gass

27-29 psi front tires.

Launch @ 2500rpm with a quick slip of the clutch while modulating throttle to limit wheel-spin.

Shift @ 5700rpms

perhaps we can meet up at some point. See if my car runs the same as yours, or if it's got boost leaks or something.

going to be kicking around all day tomorrow. What part of town you in? (east side here)

Winter spring-ish, reppin the east side yo! lol (lol2)
We could even switch cars for a bit if you like so you can have a better idea.

Last edited:
You should definately do better time than this. I ran a 14.3 on a COMPLETLY STOCK with stock tire at 28psi and i'm not very good with 60ft (had a 2.232as my best) At what rpm are you releasing the clutch? Maybe your just trying too hard ;) I will go again soon to see how much improvement i had from cai/bov/corksport insert. shooting for high 13s :)

My car has days where it just plain won't pull as hard as others. It's certainly not in my head, but it's there. day 1, pulls hard as hell, day 2, pulls meh, and day three pulls hard as hell. go figure, cause I can't....

Well, here I go modding my new car that I had told myself I wouldnt.....

Cobb SRI, twm short shifter with metal bushings, and su rear motor mount. All will be hand delivered by a good sales person who lives right down the street from me :)

My car has days where it just plain won't pull as hard as others. It's certainly not in my head, but it's there. day 1, pulls hard as hell, day 2, pulls meh, and day three pulls hard as hell. go figure, cause I can't....

same here.. its the heat soak on the IC..

motor mount and short shift kit are now installed. Shifter is awesome, but wow, the su mount is stiff and vibes pretty good @ idle. Hopefully it loosens up some.

i hate that its temperamental with its power. The other day my friend was in the car and was like "so this thing is kind of quick" and i expected for it to take off but it just did a half-assed pull. Didnt do much to impress him

Practice makes perfect. I have run several low 14's at 99-100mph in 65 degree weather at sea level, went to the track last saturday and my frist 3 passes were 15.3 at 92 mph. After I got used to the track I did a best of 14.5 @ 97mph (altitude 1200ft and 90 temp), the car gets horrible heat soak, my best pass was made after 90 minute down time. (but yeah , nothing like a 15 second run to bring morale down.)

Back