Long Road Trip Ahead

:
2003 Black Mica MSP
Im going to be heading down to Dallas from Denver and its around 800 to 900 mile trip. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with long road trips and if there is anything I should know about the MSP and how it will perform. Im going to be driving all the way through, only stopping when I need gas. I will be doing an oil change and a tranny fluid change also before the trip. Im going to use MT-90 also. But any advice on how the car performs, anything I should look out for, etc would be much appreciated.

Matt

Also if any of you Texas guys wanna hang out or know of anything going on let me know too.

Ah, you'll be heading through my old stomping grounds...Midland, Tx. I made a trip from MS to TX and I cursed the fact that we have no cruise control. Also, if you don't have sirius, bring alot of cd's. There are lots of dead spots in tx and new mexico. Also, let the car idle for two minutes before shutting it off. Even though you're not boosting much on the highway, the turbo still needs to cool down. Other than that, the car runs great. Oh, and I got incredible gas mileage...35-6mpg!

I bought my MSP with 40 miles from chicago and drove it 800 miles to new jersey. Some tips: don't take anyone who has gas. Switch up the driving a lot. The car is fine on the highway even for extended periods. I let the turbo cool for 2 minutes whenever we stopped. That's about it.

I'll also chime in on the gas mileage. I got like 33+ mpg.

Drove my MSP 1400 miles back from Georgia where i picked it up. Take some extra oil with you just in case. And make sure you check your oil after the car sits for a bit if you stop for lunch, etc. Better safe than sorry... TRUST ME.

Oh yea, the fucker gets great gas mileage. 37-40mpg if you dont drive like an idiot.

Ditto on the engine cooling before shuting off after running a long time!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. I just changed the oil tonight, but I will bring some extra just in case. Its cool that the car gets that good of gas milage. If anyone else has any other stories feel free to chime in.

Matt

I drive to MD quite a bit, only about 450 miles each way. It's not the most comfortable car to drive in, so make sure you stretch at your stops. Also, try not to boost too much in 5th gear. If you need to pass, or having some fun with people on the road, downshift! Also what the guys said above. Have fun!!

I made an emergency trip from Orlando, FL to Philadelphia, PA in mine last November...Not a bad road trip car by any means. I drove straight through, so cruise control or driver trades would have been nice. Otherwise, you should enjoy it...make sure you let the turbo cool down at stops as mentioned, and you might want to wash/wax the car before you go...our thin paint and road debris do not go well together. I would recommend getting a bumper cover...but a nice thick coat of wax would help too!

just make sure you fill up whenever you think you need gas... don't wait on it... LOL

i almost ran out of gas going to NYC. there was a stretch that i thought i could make it.... i eventually did, but barely.

that's nothing dude, don't worry. You can make that in one day, probably less than 10 hours. I've taken my MSP from Dallas to Tampa Florida (20+ hours) and back with no problems.

Check out the Texas regional section for meets and such. Like Sam said the big statewide meet and dyno day will be Sat March 19th. Hope to see you there.

Well, not too sure if Im coming down anymore because my buddy that I am going with did not get off work, so our spring break trip might be canceled.

Speed Demon - less then 10 hours? That would be amazing, I used to live down there in TX, and when we made the trip up to CO it took about 12 - 14, from what my parents were telling me about the drive. Im from a town called Lewisville, and so is my buddy, so we were going to come down and visit everyone again, etc.

I would love to go to the dyno day, that would be awesome, just to hang out and see some of your rides.

I do need to wax the car before I go, did not even think about that. Waxed it before the winter came around, but Im sure that the winter snow and everything else took off the wax and it could use a good one. Thanks again for your post guys.

Matt

MazdaSpeed0020 said:
daedalus, I love your sig, did you do it? If so would you mind doing something for me?

Matt

Yea man... I did mspedd101's sig as well. Just hit me up with a PM of your sigs, and some pics of your car and I'll throw one together. I'm on spring break as of RIGHT NOW so i'll be bored.

I've made several trips between Pittsburgh and NJ (375 miles) in the MSP:

- Get cruise control installed
- Ditto the above on not taking on flatulent passengers, cooling the engine (though coasting the offramps and taking it easy on stops works too)
- My 205/55/16 Semperits (snows) were better to drive on long trips than the OE 17"ers - better directional stability and tracking, and less of a "sneeze factor".
- The sub is less effective if the trunk is full, esp. at highway speeds or in the rain.
- RainX is your friend on the highway, especially on the SIDE windows
- Vary the tilt on the bottom seat cushion every so often - it delays the onset of numb-butt.
-Without cruise, learn to drive left-foot-throttle (when you've got clear road) to give the right leg a break.

Sneeze factor goes a little like this...

*You are driving down the highway*
"Look at me mommy! I'm driving my MSP! YAY!"
*Insert big ass sneeze*
"Look at me mommy! I just crossed 3 lanes of traffic because my hand twiched!"

Basically, the OEM tires make the car a little sensative... 16" winter tires are gonna have a more cushy, less responsive ride, which for long term highway driving wont be so percise and twitchy at high speeds.

Im planning a road trip from atlanta to milwaukee area 860+ miles one way, should be a fun interesting trip up, whats the most anyone has drove by yourself, i tend to get a little bored driving by myself after an hour or so, lol

Monday I was suppose to leave to Mount Mitchell in NC. But they close the park down because of some mudslide. So we've decided either Savannah GA or New Orleans. I got spring break next week and my friends want to go on a road trip. Should be fun.

Back