Left lane hogs - BEWARE!!!!!!!

TomH

:
2005 MZ3 5 Door, 5 Speed
Just copied this off of AOL news.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!
by Eric Peters

Some good news: Left lane hogs are finally getting the attention they deserve from traffic cops -- and traffic laws.

In at least two states -- Colorado and Florida -- cops are begiining to target drivers who squat in the far left lane and refuse to move right to let faster-moving traffic get by. For decades, these drivers have been allowed to create rolling roadblocks and interrupt the smooth (and therfore safe) flow of traffic with virtual impunity because "faiure to yield" laws were either not on the books -- or not enforced. And twenty-plus years of ddumbed-down, politicized "driver's education" and "safety" campaigns had effectively propagandized the populace into believing their was only one cardinal sin -- "speeding."

And so the focus of traffic "safety" enforcement was speed limit laws -- which of course were often ridiculous (the best example being the 55-mph National Maximum Speed Limit that Congress finally repealed in 1995. But these under-posted, artificially low speed limits were found to be very useful in terms of generating an unforseen flow of easy money for state and local governments -- who soon became addicted. And it was so much easier for traffic cops to simply shoot fish in a barrel with their radar guns -- because almost every car on the road was going faster than the absurdly low posted limits.

Much easier than actually looking for dangerous drivers, anyhow.

This is finally changing, though.

In Colorado, state police have written more than 500 tickets to left lane hogs since the beginning of the year; in Florida, a bill is on the legilstive docket that would impose a $60 fine and four DMV "demerit points" on the driving record of motorists who refuse to allow faster moving traffic by.

Twenty years ago, this would have been an unthinkable violation of the politically correct orthodoxy that onle "speed kills" -- and therefore only enforcing speed limits (no matter how absurd or contrived) matters.

But in fact, people who refuse to move right represent a major traffic safety hazard -- whether "they doing the speed limit" (as they often bleat in self-righteous high dudgeon) or not.

By refusing to allow other motorists to get by, the left lane dawdler causes traffic to back up unnaturally; drivers then angrily jockey for position -- and typically are forced into making a passing attempt in the right lane to get around the hog -- who seems to get some sort of weird passive-aggressive satisfaction from his obstinancy.

The situation is frustrating, distracting -- and very unsafe. In fact, the lack of reflexive lane courtesy in this country is arguably the biggest single safety problem we have -- not "speeding."

Consider the example of Germany -- where yielding to faster-moving traffic is part of the national culture and adhered to religiously. As a result, it is possible for the Germans to have unlimited speed Autobahns -- where drivers in the left lane often overtake other cars at tripe digit speeds. But because German drivers are taught to use their mirrors -- and immediately move right to allow faster-moving approaching cars to pass -- they have a lower accident and fatality rate than we do here in the United States with our dumbed-down speed limits.

It will take time for the facts about the danger of left lane hogging to sink into the general consciousness -- the consequence of 20-plus years of neglect and outright disinformation peddled by know-nothing "safety" advocates.

But, at last, things are beginning to change for the better.

(cool) We've needed this for a long time. And if nothing else, it appeals to my desire to punish the hypocritical self-righteous. I hope they bring these laws and enforcement to Michigan (who a few years ago was targeting those who were tailgating).

THANK GOD!!!!!!!

So do I have to wait for the cops to catch them or can I just push them out of the way?

Oh BTW.......We refer to these people as TURTLES...... "Oh, theres a turtle in the road...gotta go around them!!"

now see, here we dont have that problem. everyone goes 10-15mph over the speed limit in the left hand lane and if u want to go faster than that your an idiot and deserve to be stuck behind the cow truck. and if someone is going slow in the left hand lane, u can normally politely move over and let the f350 super duty behind you shove there mini van ass down the highway while you follow in the wake.

i like this alot. i've always seen people driving slow as more of a hazard than people "carefully" driving fast. unnecessary traffic is never a good thing. I hope SC adopts this policy as well

Way cool, this problem is super bad here in NM. Haha, I have even got to the point where I have thought about making my own signs and posting them on I-25 that say something like "Left lane is for passing only"... or even just "Slower traffic keep right"... or something to that effect. Seems like most of the drivers around here that have Texas plates are especially bad, sometimes doing 5-10mph UNDER the posted limit while camping out in the left lane. VERY frustrating, and at times very dangerous when there is a lot of traffic.

I hope that these new laws find their way into our local books soon. (cool)

fkmitsu said:
Oh BTW.......We refer to these people as TURTLES...... "Oh, theres a turtle in the road...gotta go around them!!"
Lol, how fitting. My friends and I refer to the excessive speeders as "rabbits".

I really hope these measures can help. Though with how afraid of assertive driving so many people are, I think it will take a long time for us to see any change. (shrug)

505zoom said:
Way cool, this problem is super bad here in NM. Haha, I have even got to the point where I have thought about making my own signs and posting them on I-25 that say something like "Left lane is for passing only"... or even just "Slower traffic keep right"... or something to that effect.

Won't make much of a difference I'm afraid....NJ highways are littered with those signs everywhere, and the problem is as worse here as it is anywhere else.

We need this in WV for Ohio drivers. They are bad about it here for some reason. We have a failure to yield law I think, but do not enforce it. I've seen accidents caused by this...

We've also got to remember that the stupid DOT standard equipment we get on our cars, like our mirrors are crap compared to Europe and the rest of the world. That is why I upgraded my stuff to the Euro-spec side view mirror. No blind spot!! It also costs about $2000 for a license too over there compared to what is it, $24 here? Driving is taken more seriously in the rest of the world for sure.

yep and now they are going to spend 300,000 bucks to study if it would have any positive outcome... basicly wondering will FHP be able to bring in the same cash flow.

I WISH they would do this in FL we need it more then ever. Most of our streets are 2 lanes or greater each way and the over growing amount of old people that SIT in the left lane for a turn they have to 5 miles up the road.

uclap5 said:
vetoed by jeb bush. sorry floridians.

Back