Leaked 2016 CX-5.

I wonder if they got around to illuminating more of the door buttons?

Looks like they did. I can also see that discussed air went controls (EU version had them already) and bigger door compartments so you can store more than a bottle what is a good news.

Do I understand it right that the main lights, bi-xenons, were replaced with adaptive LED lights able to mask out oncoming cars?

There is a bunch of new assistants as well. To name a few, LAS - Lane-Keep Assist System, PTC - Pre-Crash Throttle Constrol, DAA - Driver Attention Alert ...
LDWS was just a warning system and I wonder if LAS can make driving corrections to keep the car in the lane.

Not the same display-- looks like it fits into roughly the same cutout, but the screen is much bigger because Mazda dropped the physical button and knobs-- functionality presumably handled by the iDial thing by the cupholders.

Poking around the Mazda Japan website, it looks like the new model is selling as a 2015, and is actually their current model. Since I don't read Japanese, there's a big YMMV in there. I hope the new infotainment system really is an improvement over the old one, since I'd imagine the new controller pretty much rules out aftermarket units.

Wow, the Japanese version has a light and a camera in the mirror.
Like the new CX-3, there is also an extra button and "DVD" logo on the player.

Last edited:
Wow, the Japanese version has a light and a camera in the mirror.
Like the new CX-3, there is also an extra button and "DVD" logo on the player.

DVD logo doesn't mean it can play DVD movies. Rather it uses DVD discs for GPS maps.

Of course, I didn't mean anything else. I am not going to watch movies on a 7" screen. The question is if the other unit also has a DVD or just CD drive.
Also, the unit on Japanese photos (DVD stamped) looks pretty misfitted. Like the bottom of the screen is submerged into the compartment. The other ones are placed OK with visible black border all around.

Could it be for DVD audio? I had an Acura with that feature. Very impressive sound but you had to buy new CD's to enjoy it. Now I have a bunch of DVD audio CD's I have no use for

Could it be for DVD audio? I had an Acura with that feature. Very impressive sound but you had to buy new CD's to enjoy it. Now I have a bunch of DVD audio CD's I have no use for

Did you have like '04 or '05 TL? I remember back then a friend bought one and a bunch of DVD-Audio discs...I am sure he has some in box somewhere now. He got rid of the car and I think that format died out about 5 years or so ago.

Both 16' CX5 and CX3 were unreachable at the LS Auto show. They would not let us get close enough.
Josh, it wasn't at the show Chris. He was, at the San Francisco show. I mentioned to them about this forum and suggested them, that Mazda should be present at this forum, which was noted in there tablet, as a good suggestion.
The person at the show, said that the 16', will be available next summer.
Radio's face from the side, seemed like it was all one surface, even the CD cutout it was in the surface. No separate frame for the CD cutout. Think as a tablet touchscreen and at the top, there is a slot in the touch screen for a CD.
Grill is not for me, but some may like it.
Fog/driving light it was weird for me. Not really noticed, what is going on there. They were two horizontal chrome bars, but I did not really notice fog light there, maybe it is tiny.
I have seen a lot of cars there and I can say, that Mazda has one the nicest car lineups. Mitsubishi, probably the last(sorry Chris, but I believe, they will end up soon like Suzuki, they had a pink Mirage there(?!)), Volvo wasn't strong either.
Lincoln, Cadillac, some Ford products surprised me though.

I was pretty bummed the 16 wasnt at the sf auto show either. It was great to finally get a chance to sit in the car.

Sat in the new rdx which was pretty nice but out of our price range. The x3 was actually a bit disappointing, the interior and dash seemed a bit cluttered.

One thing though is that i wish they add paddle shifters to he 16 as an option. I would be on that day one

Both 16' CX5 and CX3 were unreachable at the LS Auto show. They would not let us get close enough.
Josh, it wasn't at the show Chris. He was, at the San Francisco show. I mentioned to them about this forum and suggested them, that Mazda should be present at this forum, which was noted in there tablet, as a good suggestion.
The person at the show, said that the 16', will be available next summer.
Radio's face from the side, seemed like it was all one surface, even the CD cutout it was in the surface. No separate frame for the CD cutout. Think as a tablet touchscreen and at the top, there is a slot in the touch screen for a CD.
Grill is not for me, but some may like it.
Fog/driving light it was weird for me. Not really noticed, what is going on there. They were two horizontal chrome bars, but I did not really notice fog light there, maybe it is tiny.
I have seen a lot of cars there and I can say, that Mazda has one the nicest car lineups. Mitsubishi, probably the last(sorry Chris, but I believe, they will end up soon like Suzuki, they had a pink Mirage there(?!)), Volvo wasn't strong either.
Lincoln, Cadillac, some Ford products surprised me though.

I hope that is not true...

I was pretty bummed the 16 wasnt at the sf auto show either. It was great to finally get a chance to sit in the car.

Sat in the new rdx which was pretty nice but out of our price range. The x3 was actually a bit disappointing, the interior and dash seemed a bit cluttered.

One thing though is that i wish they add paddle shifters to he 16 as an option. I would be on that day one

The top Europe version REVOLUTION will be avaible with paddle shifters, see page 14 of this publication (sorry in german - Lenkrad-Schaltwippen): http://ritzmann-garage.ch/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Dossier-CX5.pdf

I just ordered one facelifted CX-5 yesterday (in Switzerland), it will be delivered at the end of March/beginning of April.

Greetings

Interesting. Looks like there also is I-ELOOP for SKYACTIV-G?
The depicted car has no door-lock buttons. I hope they will add them.

Wow. I don't read German but I could still get a lot out of the brochure! Two things I noticed is that there is REAR smart city brake support on the top model as well as in the front. And I noticed that the 2.5 liter gas engine only comes with the automatic transmission, same as in the US. BUT, it also comes with iStop, which is different than here. And of course, the paddle shifter (Lenkrad-Schaltwippen) will be interesting to see how it works, especially with the 2.5. Thanks for posting and we look forward to pictures/review of your new ride!

Yeah, I have seen the rear SCBS mentioned somewhere.
I forgot to thank you for the link. I believe you will enjoy your car and I wish you short waiting. :)

EDIT:
I have also noticed they call it 2015 model. There was a debate in Jan or Feb if the just release 2015 is the real 2015 or rather 2014.5. The real mid-cycle update is out now and it is called both, 2015 and 2016. While they named the current model 2015 for the US market and the facelifted model 2016, it looks like, at last for Switzerland, that they reserved 2015 to name the facelifted one. Pure chaos ...

Last edited:
Back