LCD TV and Direct TV help?

smp3000

Contributor
:
04' EVO VIII
Hey guys,

I recently got a 23' widescreen LCD TV with HD capabilities- for the bedroom. It's a sweet ass TV and we just got an extra receiver for our Direct TV service so we can watch Cable on it now.

Problem is, that it kinda looks like crap lol, and I'm not sure why. The picture just looks banded and slightly pixelized. It's not SHARP. We don't have the HD channels yet (or HD receiver however that works), so what we're watching is just the standard Direct TV.

The TV and the Direct TV both appear to be configured correctly- so the onyl thing I can think is to maybe beef up the AV cables going from the Direct TV receiver to the TV. Right now they're just the standard cheapo's. Would this make any difference? Or should I go with the S-video cable?

Here's the TV:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Here are some monster cables that might make a difference:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Sorry- I'm not very educated in the new LCD HD TV era.(shrug)

Any advice would be awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info... Right now I'm just using standard cheapo RCA cables for both the Direct TV receiver and the DVD player... You think upgrading both to a better RCA cable would be good? Any on those sites in particular?

Hey, I use to work for DirecTV so I know exactly what you're talking about. Believe it or not, from my experience, satellite TV actually comes in clearer on a CRT vice LCD. At least more often than not. I mean, I have done alot of installs where the customer buys a LCD similar to yours and the picture is worse than that of a little 12 inch CRT. It has to do with your TV and the way it handles/processes the satellite signal. BTW, Sharp isn't necessarily one of the best brands to choose. I would recommend Sony or even Samsung.

Anyways, you could try changing your display type in your TV settings: Aspect ratio, resolution, etc.

Or like NoRotor mentioned, use a different connector. HDMI, HD, RCA cables, S-video are your different options listed in order of quality. HDMI is High-Defenition Multimedia Interface which can be costly if you don't already have the cable. HD is a blue, red, and green cable and be advised that it is video only, no audio which means you still need to connect red and white RCA cables. RCA is the yellow, red, and white connector which should have come with your receiver. Changing your connector is probably not going to improve your picture at all.

This TV is a Samsugn:

<TABLE class=productImageGrid cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=280 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=prodImageCell width=280 height=280></TD></TR><TR><TD class=tiny>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Samsung LN-S2341W 23" LCD HDTV

Product Features

• HDTV capable (requires optional cable or satellite HD service, check with provider for available service)
  • Audio - SRS TruSurround XT/ Watts per Channel - 10W x 2 / Side Speakers
  • Connections - 1 HDMI Input / 2 Component Video Inputs (Y, Pb, Pr) (480i/480p/720p/1080i) / S-Video and composite video inputs / PC(RGB) Input / Coaxial Antenna Input / VESA compatible
  • Built-In analog tuner (NTSC)

smp3000 said:
Hey guys,

I recently got a 23' widescreen LCD TV with HD capabilities- for the bedroom.

23 foot tv. that's huge. (shocked)

I have a sony LCD and the channels are crappy and yes pixelated. I think I am going to order a HD box and see what they look like. Any HD channels available on direct TV? I would also go to a Best buy or Circuit city and see what they use because they also have some nice ass cables that help their tv's look very sharp. Then you take them home and ask yourself this is not how it looked at the store. Find out what they use or would recommend to boost the sharpness of the standard direct tv channels.

smp3000 said:
You think upgrading both to a better RCA cable would be good?
S-video would be a step down and DirecTV should have already given you top quality RCA cables. I recommend changing your display type. If that doesn't work, buy a new TV or cancel your service. Sorry if it's a hard pill to swallow; I know it should be the other way around.

uh since when is composite better than s-video? eitherway, LCDs display analog like crap. Using component cables (RGB) or better would be a great improvement. Stay away from RCA/composite. S-video isn't that much better.

smp3000 said:
This TV is a Samsugn:
Oops. :D

Change your Aspect Ratio to Widescreen and Resolution to 1080i on BOTH the receiver and TV. Like I said before, if it doesn't improve, it's a restriction of your LCD-TV to handle satellite feed. Over 200 installations, I never once had the problem on CRTs.

sanblaster1 said:
Any HD channels available on direct TV?
As far as HD programming, you're not going to get that many channels, probably less than 15 total: HD HBO, HD Showtime, HD ESPN, just to name a few. Depending on your location, HD local channels are also broadcast which can be picked up on an antenna: ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.

smo0f said:
uh since when is composite better than s-video? eitherway, LCDs display analog like crap. Using component cables (RGB) or better would be a great improvement. Stay away from RCA/composite. S-video isn't that much better.

(werd) go with composite...if not then go with s-video...end of problemo

I will try all this tonight and make a stop by Best Buy to see what they use...

I realize I'm not going to get a great picture until I get an HD box and HD dvd player, but until then- I want to get the best picture I can manage.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Switching to S-video will improve your signal quality, so yes go ahead a buy a good quality cable for this, Monster is fine, yes you'll pay more for the name but you have a lifetime warranty on the cable and you can find them any where. Also make sure you do not have the picture streched out to fit the screen, since you have an LCD you don't need to worry about burn in and you can watch it in the normal aspect ratio. That all being said, it's not going to look the best compared with a CRT tube but it should help.
Also some other things you need to do are change the TVs settings, especially the sharpness control. On most newer TVs you need to turn the sharpness down to about 1/4 to 1/3 of max. This is especially true of LCDs as they have more of a jaggies effect due to the screen door effect of how they work. Also turn your brightness down a lot so that you can have a higher contrast ratio, this is another of LCD's weak areas.
After all this is done then decide if you can live with it. If not then you will want to look in to the HD box and new dish or a different TV, though there isn't much else in that size TV.

crispixoo7 said:
(werd) go with composite...if not then go with s-video...end of problemo

dude, he already has composite, which is what everyone refers to as RCA. They're 2nd worst to coaxial as far as quality goes.

Here's the order, worst first:

Coaxial < Composite(referred to as RCA, red/white/yellow) < S-Video < Component(RedBlueGreen) < DVI/HDMI (HDMI is just DVI with sound, unless they came out with something new making HDMI better video wise).

HD signals will transfer on nothing less than component. Regular signals can use all cables, however, on a TV like this, you also want nothing less than component. As far as TV quality, CRTs are still the best quality for TV, standard tv anyways. LCDs are the WORST for standard television, good cables help.

I'm learning about all this real quick lol... Unfortunately the back of the receiver only has RCA, S-vid and Co-ax- It's just a standard box- not HD... So it looks like I'll be getting an S-vid cable for that unless they have some sort of s-vid to component cable.

The DVD player has component out- so I'll be able to just pick up a component cable for that one...

smp3000 said:
I'm learning about all this real quick lol... Unfortunately the back of the receiver only has RCA, S-vid and Co-ax- It's just a standard box- not HD... So it looks like I'll be getting an S-vid cable for that unless they have some sort of s-vid to component cable.

The DVD player has component out- so I'll be able to just pick up a component cable for that one...

blah, get a different box dude. it's worth it. i dont care what sat/cable company you're dealing with, the worst boxes all come with components now

RX said:
Sharp isn't necessarily one of the best brands to choose. I would recommend Sony or even Samsung.

RCA is the yellow, red, and white connector which should have come with your receiver. Changing your connector is probably not going to improve your picture at all.

Actually sharp makes excellent products. I sell at least one to every client I have. Mainly I sell their smaller versions as they are able to be rack mounted and used as a "HUB" television in a equipment room. And if you pick up an Aquos then I commend your purchase. The aquos brand of LCD's are some of the best I've seen in the industry that are available to the consumer from a chain distributor.

And with your next comment I believe that you were saying the the choice of cable won't make a difference. Either that or changing the physical connection between the reciever and the television. I'm going to have to correct you again on both counts. The quality of the cables makes a HUGE difference. Maybe not to the untrained eye but to someone who pays attention and knows what to look for these cables can mean the difference between an excellent functioning and looking system and a complete disaster. Better cables are able to resist interference better and are able to provide better signal performance over the length of the cable. I've personally seen the difference between multiple types and brands of cables and can attest to anyone the differences. As for the type of connection, this too makes a difference. Composite cables, ie the yellow connector, sends picture information, chromanence and lumanence, down the one cable. This gives a poor quality connection because the signals are all being compressed to be sent at the same time. S-video is one step better and should be used if you can. S-video connections split the chromanance and lumanence signals down separate wires. This results in a brighter picture and a sharper image. Moving further to Component cables you break out the signal further. The green connector sends the picture infomation and the green color information. The red connector obviously sends the red picture info and the blue sends the blue picture information. This connection is ideal over the other two. It breaks down the signal into it's relavent signals and sends them seperatly. You also said that HDMI can be very expensive. Sadly this is true. However, an inexpensive HDMI cable will still provide a better picture between digital devices than a Component HD cable. HDMI is an all digital signal which is less susceptable to interference than cables that send analog signals which partly makes it a better connection. HDMI also has the ability to carry 8-ch's of digital audio with it. There is also the DVI connection which is very similar but it doesn't carry the audio signals. Being that you have a fixed pixel digital display device HDMI would be the ideal connection. However, most components on the market today that output HDMI are converting analog signals to digital and sending them out so your picture may look worse if you are on a analog channel. This will mainly only make a difference when using a cable converter box. Satellite signals are all digital anyway, however most of these channels with the exception of a few of the HD channels are recorded in an analog format and converted by DirecTv. I'm starting to get technical and I feel like I'm rambling. RX, please know that I'm not bashing you in any way, I'm simply trying to inform. Being ignorant is a good thing because it means you are willing to learn. Being stupid is a refusal to learn. I hope I have at least helped someone...if anyone wants to talk further about it let me know. I've been in the Audio/Video industry for about 3 years now, including working for DirecTv. I currently work as a Service and Installation Tech for a custom design and integration firm in Columbia, SC and would be more than to talk to anyone about this stuff. It's my life and I love what I do. Anyways, again, I'm not here to bash or flame only to inform...good day folks!

Last edited:
smo0f said:
blah, get a different box dude. it's worth it. i dont care what sat/cable company you're dealing with, the worst boxes all come with components now

again ready my post above....component outputs are the highest quality of the analog outputs. and regardless of what you purchase, if component outputs are the best available on the device then that will always be the best output signal

RX said:
HDMI, HD, RCA cables, S-video are your different options listed in order of quality.
Alright, this is how I remembered it from the DirecTV manual. Sorry if I got the RCA-type and S-video cable preference out of order. I would not use S-video anyways because it is video only, thus an extra cable. From experience, I can almost guarantee that upgrading the cable will not fix the picture quality problem the way smp3000 explained it though. For true HDTV, you might as well get HDMI.

pb4ugoout said:
again ready my post above....component outputs are the highest quality of the analog outputs. and regardless of what you purchase, if component outputs are the best available on the device then that will always be the best output signal

i'm not sure. you're disagreeing with an agreement....not sure if you know how to express your opinions very well...but okay. all you did was reiterate

RX said:
Alright, this is how I remembered it from the DirecTV manual. Sorry if I got the RCA-type and S-video cable preference out of order. I would not use S-video anyways because it is video only, thus an extra cable. From experience, I can almost guarantee that upgrading the cable will not fix the picture quality problem the way smp3000 explained it though. For true HDTV, you might as well get HDMI.

again, component is the minimum HD capable connection. Then DVI and HDMI are equivilent as var as video goes. Not sure what your definition of 'true HDTV' is, but maybe the HDMI and DVI capables will yield better quality picture, however, your picture will be the best you can get out of the source, and his issue to begin with is with standard television, not HDTV. 'True HDTV' is usually defined as 1080p resolution, which nothing broadcasts in (yet). At most you'll get 1080i, which is still rare. Usually the HDTV that's on TV is 720p, at which you won't really notice a difference between the three HD capable cables that are used. As far as standard television goes, don't use anything less than components, which i mentioned already.

Back