Larger throttle body?

kyo21

:
2001 mazda protege ES
I'm just wondering, I know for N/A cars a simple way to get some hp is to get a larger throttle body, are there parts we can use from other mazdas? or aftermarket parts?

thats only if you are running high rpms. if u r running low all the time it will hurt your performance. i g2g ttyl

if you are doing daily driving you are not running at high enuogh rpms to go high enough speeds to push that much air through your intake and throttle body. only get a bigger throttle body because you are pushing more air through and that will help. if you arent running high enough you lose the pressure going into the intake manifold therefore decreasing power.

but why does it hurt low end performance?

Please provide some links or something to back this up ajk... I think what you're saying is if you put too big of a TB on the motor, you will lose the vacuum needed to properly pull air through the system. But, it's not like hes gonna throw a TB from a Chevy Silverado on his protege... There will still be a vacuum created. I would say that unless used in coordination with other like mods (CAI, IM, header, etc...) that the difference in power will be negligible all around. But as far as a drop just in the low end, I don't know about that....

Last edited:
well all i know is that my dad was the manager for mazda service department for alot of years and i know a guy who builds racecars and also fixes mazdas for the dealership so those are my sources. your car needs a certain amount of pressure to go into your intake manifold, and the higher the pressure the better. more airflow is also better though. so let the size of the opening of the throttle body be represented by X, and airflow be Y. if you are moving at low speeds then the airflow Y will be going through TB size X. that gives you the pressure and air amount that you need. now let the new throttle body size be 2X and airflow in sill remain Y. so if you put the same amount of airflow Y through a TB twice the size (2X) then you lose the pressure. now im not saying that you are doubling the size but any change will affect you. so you lose the pressure when you are at lower speeds but you will have high pressure with more air at high speeds. it is up to you. do you want better acceleration with less top end, or more high sped but slower to get there? thats all i know.

well all i know is that my dad was the manager for mazda service department for alot of years and i know a guy who builds racecars and also fixes mazdas for the dealership so those are my sources. your car needs a certain amount of pressure to go into your intake manifold, and the higher the pressure the better. more airflow is also better though. so let the size of the opening of the throttle body be represented by X, and airflow be Y. if you are moving at low speeds then the airflow Y will be going through TB size X. that gives you the pressure and air amount that you need. now let the new throttle body size be 2X and airflow in sill remain Y. so if you put the same amount of airflow Y through a TB twice the size (2X) then you lose the pressure. now im not saying that you are doubling the size but any change will affect you. so you lose the pressure when you are at lower speeds but you will have high pressure with more air at high speeds. it is up to you. do you want better acceleration with less top end, or more high sped but slower to get there? thats all i know.

I hear what you're saying, but your math is a little ridiculous. Your talking about doubling the size of the TB... Of course that wouldn't work. No one is talking about doubling it's size lol. Really, I think aside from a "Larger Throttle Body", what he really is asking here is if can you achieve any gains by altering your existing throttle body or upgrading to maybe a similar Mazda TB (much like the 626 IM's vs our stock IM's). The new TB would still be tuned to achieve proper pressure to achieve an adequate vacuum through the intake system. But as I said before, The altered TB would have to be in conjunction with MANY other mods to make any noticeable gains probably. These motors were not made for power... Now, if you bore out the TB, IM, your entire motor, ported and polished EVERYTHING, and then had a free flowing exhaust side with no hold ups, you would see some gains. But there is a lot of work/time/money involved in this. >>>>Go FI! Save the trouble.

you obviously didnt read closely i said not doubling. i was using variables. but you are still wrong. it may be tuned but it still will not work as well as the stock one. if you ported and polished everything it would work at the high end. and its not just that it would create a vacuum, but the pressure is what matters. it would not be as high. mazda has tuned the throttle body from the factory to perform at optimum levels and changing that would be pointless. the point is do not change it if you will only be running at low speeds and rpms. period.

you obviously didnt read closely i said not doubling. i was using variables. but you are still wrong. it may be tuned but it still will not work as well as the stock one. if you ported and polished everything it would work at the high end. and its not just that it would create a vacuum, but the pressure is what matters. it would not be as high. mazda has tuned the throttle body from the factory to perform at optimum levels and changing that would be pointless. the point is do not change it if you will only be running at low speeds and rpms. period.

Haha, ok. I'm just gonna go ahead and concede. I forgot how expansive the knowledge of 16 year olds is. I have obviously under-estimated your skills gained in the last 6 months of driving to and from home depot. I obviously didn't already clarify these points earlier and agree that there was no significant gain to be had from altering your TB. There's obviously never anything you can do to gain performance from the stock tune, because Mazda has already tuned it to the UTMOST performance specs. Mazda obviously already gets every bit of hp out of this motor and doesn't think at all about emissions or gas mileage... Obviously... (hahaspit) Plz kid, gtfo.

ok im sorry i get all my information from a guy who races professionally, builds his own cars, and repairs mazda engines for a living for 26 years. but wtf would he know.. and age has nothing to do with intelligence. i carry a 4.2 gpa out of 4 in my school and have been on the honor roll for 8 straight quarters. ok i know engines too. so just because ur older and have a mp3 doesnt mean u know more about this subject than me. i ******* straight up called that guy and he said you were wrong. so take your own advice and gtfo.

Haha. Plz explain what I messed up... That mazda tunes for factors other than performance? Or that your "variables" (i.e. 2X) means to double the size whether you want it to or not.

Look I don't want this to turn into anything. It's dumb. I'm not sure why you are so upset. We are basically agreeing with each other, but you are getting your panties up in a bunch. Look, you can grow up, and realize that you can have conversations, or you can look like a fool and get upset. Just lose the attitude because you're acting your age...

good for me.....? but im not mad im just trying to explain this. OK simple explanation: why would you port and polish everything if you will not be in a situation where you use high airflow? if you do that you lose the pressure thus losing hp.

But as I said before, The altered TB would have to be in conjunction with MANY other mods to make any noticeable gains probably. These motors were not made for power... Now, if you bore out the TB, IM, your entire motor, ported and polished EVERYTHING, and then had a free flowing exhaust side with no hold ups, you would see some gains. But there is a lot of work/time/money involved in this. >>>>Go FI! Save the trouble.

Like I said originally, its a waste of time and money for little to no gain... Why are you still trying to argue this??? You keep acting like I'm trying to call you a liar. Read carefully, the posts can be tricky. (pow)

^ I don't have to time nor the patience to explain how wrong you are. I will state that there is a point were porting, exhaust size, intake runner size and throttle body size are too large there-for losing velocity. Which will inturn lower torque. Also, the only cars that have "pressure" in there intake are turbo'd ones, when under boost. Otherwise we measure the air flow in terms like CFM and vacuum. I would also like to point out that torque is what we should be talking about because torque is measured and house power is calculated. HP=torqe/RPM

Back