KR Question

RichB

:
2007 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Yesterday I was taking some AP logs while driving in traffic and noticed that I show some KR in the 2's while in first gear and starting from stop between 1K and 3K RPMs. I'm guessing that this isn't really knock and that it is the ECU adjusting the timing based on how I am working the clutch but I thought that I would ask and make sure.

When doing WOT and partial throttle logs from a rolling start I sometimes get random blips of 0.35 so I think I'm good there.

What do you think?

Yeah, something about adjusting timing for fuel efficiency or something like that. I get that too when I drive the car after it have been sitting with ignition switch off for a while. I just keep the gas steady and let it do its thing.

I've seen 0.30's on others people logs. Nothing to worry about.

Yea i'm not too worried since I don't hear anything. I'm just wondering if anyone else sees KR when starting from a stop.

ive seen 8.2 kr once early in the morning at partial throttle???? has anyone else ever seen any this high???

Did you hear detonation? I would say 8.2 is a little high but if you didn't hear anything it had to be a false reading.

I couldnt hear or feel anything the car felt smooth but thats what my dashwk was reading it was in 6th gear

P/T KR means NOTHING. There's alot of variables that will make an engine run most efficiently and nowadays, modern ECMs recalculate on the fly. If you're seeing knock retard under high load/WOT, over 2-ish then be backing off, changing the tune and/or looking for causes.

I dunno if you should completely ignore an 8.2 KR even if it is partial throttle when you were accelerating a hair. That sounds kinda high to me but our ECU does adjust timing through KR so you never know. You should be ok though if you didn't hear or feel anything but keep an eye on it and see if you can find a pattern on when KR is registered.

Back