Knock sensor for Mazda5 factory alarm

:
mazda5
I just want to know why our Mazda 5 does not have a knock sensor just like toyotas. I also read in TM3 forum that a bunch of members complained not having one on their car and they got it thru their dealership covered by mazda canada. I wonder if we really do not have this shock sensor or they just forgot. The factory alarm sucks. Will only sound if the doors are openned while the alarm is active. Nothing happens when somebody hit you or break your window. Will this knock sensor compatible with the 5?

wa what happen, seems like something is missing. Any idea on this? I could not find the thread on the other forums regarding this.

We went on a little detour, but NOW WE'RE BACK!

Sorry man, I can't help with your alarm issue.

I think I'm on the right topic this time.

It is called 'Intruder sensor".. and is available for MAZDA5's that has 'advanced keyless entry and start system. I don't think our MAZDA5's here in N.A. have or will have this feature. Maybe the SGT who is in Japan has this in his 5.

here's a quote from the MAZDA5 technical guide.

===============
INTRUDER SENSOR CONSTRUCTION/OPERATION
DPE091450000T04
Operation
1. When the theft-deterrent system is armed, the intruder sensor outputs a 2.45 GHz radio wave in the passenger
compartment. The intruder sensor detects phase differences in radio waves (reflected waves) that are output
and bounced off a target object.
2. When a phase difference in reflected waves occurs due to movement in the vehicle (intruder), the CPU
calculates the level of phase difference.
3. If the level of phase difference is more than specified, the intruder sensor sends a detection signal to the BCM.
===============

Why not just do it yourself?

I use a wireless motion sensor (powered by 9V battery). The sensor is inside the car, and the receiver in the house.
Another sensor is in garage. Any movement in those areas I will hear a beeping sound. (brand: 'House Link') got it
from wallmart.

Or you can check out those gps vehicle tracking systems. like http://www.blacklinegps.com
sends txt message to you cell when motion vibration is detected. another txt message when car leaves the area.
and tracking via a website later on.

Last edited:
I just want to know why our Mazda 5 does not have a knock sensor just like toyotas. I also read in TM3 forum that a bunch of members complained not having one on their car and they got it thru their dealership covered by mazda canada. I wonder if we really do not have this shock sensor or they just forgot. The factory alarm sucks. Will only sound if the doors are openned while the alarm is active. Nothing happens when somebody hit you or break your window. Will this knock sensor compatible with the 5?
A knock sensor is used on an engine to detect pre-ignition and retards the engine's spark.

A shock sensor is used with an alarm to detect movements to the car and triggers the alarm. I think you are talking about a shock sensor.

You can add your own shock sensor to any alarm (not keyless entry). When you arm the alarm and open the door, you are essentially breaking a circuit which signals the alarm brain. The shock sensor is just another trigger source. You can buy any shock sensor from eBay and tap the wires in parallel to the wires running to the door pin trigger. You would need to tap a power source and ground it. In essence you have two sensors that can send a signal to the alarm brain via the same input channel. Just be sure to set the sensitive to a reasonable level and find a sturdy secure mounting location that offers balanced detection range.

You will not be able to have 2 zone sensor (can still use it and pick one of the zone wires as the trigger) b/c the alarm brain does not have the capacity to send out the two different signals its either on or off. I added my own shock sensor to the factory alarm in my I30 (did not come with one). Not hard, cheap, and find it very useful. I did not look into the glass break sensor or motion sensor but imagine the same concept applies. The sensor itself is what detects the fault and send a signal to the alarm brain, which in turns signals the horn to go off and signal the starter kill (if applicable).

The ultimate car alarm is the C3 Autopage. Allows control of all functions of your car remotely (other than mechanical functions like steering, throttle, brake but can prob be added with some ingenuity) and informs your of the cars status. Requires annual subscription fee tho ($150-250)

Disclaimer: I am not an alarm expert and have not done this to an Mz5.

it is fairly easy to buy an aftermarket shock sensor and wire it to the dome light circuit in such a way that if it gets triggered, the OEM alarm sounds because it thinks that a door has been opened. some of the better shock sensors are designed to work only when they key is off, so that they don't keep activating your dome light when you're driving! even the cheaper ones that don't have this feature can be wired this way with a simple $2 relay.

and FWIW, this would apply to ANY type of sensor-- glass breaking sensor, shock sensor, intruder sensor, etc... they'd all be wired into the car the same way.

if interested, i can draw out a simple wiring diagram that anyone can follow to implement this.

I thought it was determined the the OEM keyless is not an alarm system at all?

Anyways, the shock sensor would have to be wired to the door trigger(s) as the BCM controls the dome light based on those. The dome light output from the BCM is not monitored.

I thought it was determined the the OEM keyless is not an alarm system at all?

Anyways, the shock sensor would have to be wired to the door trigger(s) as the BCM controls the dome light based on those. The dome light output from the BCM is not monitored.

the OEM keyless is itself not an alarm, but the grand touring trim level adds a basic alarm. i believe that the only protection it offers is from someone opening the door without using either the remote or the key (i.e., if someone broke a window and opened the door from inside). that "protection" is a basic siren. perhaps some GT owners can chime in and let me know is that's accurate.

i'm guessing that the way it works is that it senses a signal on the door switch circuit and asks whether the door was first unlocked from the driver's door tumbler (which has a switch inside it that feed into the BCM, i believe) or from the remote. if not, then the siren sounds.

i don't know if the mazda 5 doors all share the same door ajar circuit or if they are independent. if shared, it's an easy connection to the shock sensor. if they're independent, then a bunch of diodes would have to be used to tie in the sensor while keeping the circuits independent.

It looks like there are 4 door inputs including the rear hatch - See attachment 'Door Switches.pdf'. It appears the 'advanced keyless entry system' gets the alarm with 2 intruder sensors.

But while searching, I stumbled upon something else. The remotes are supposed to roll the windows up and down with the standard keyless system and the advanced system. I've tried and ours doesn't do anything. Can the GT fellas check?

Attachments

• Door Switches.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Power Window Operation with Remote.pdf
    109.7 KB · Views: 173
those features are definitely not incorporated on the north american 5's. looking at the service manual, there seem to be loads of features (such as power sliding doors) that simply didn't make it to the US version. my guess is that since this size of van is so popular in other parts of the world and the market segment is filled with offerings from all the major automakers, they probably offer a wide range of trim levels and options. if they offered those here, it would push the vehicle into the price segment of larger vehicles like the odyssey and the sienna... by limiting the trim levels to the lower tiers, it keeps the price lower.

The maual has all kinds of red 'X's and strikethroughs that I assumed was because of the European/Asian trims that we don't have. Maybe this one was missed?

At second look at the 'Door Switches.pdf', it appears that the intruder sensors are motion sensor, not shock sensors.

Last edited:
My 07 GT alarm sounds when a door is opened while the alarm is set. To test, leave the windows down and open a locked door with an inside handle. The horn blares (explains why the 5 has the worst sounding horn of any vehicle ever produced in recorded history) until the alarm is deactivated (fob or driver's door tumbler). Cannot try the hatch as the window does not allow inside access.

One thing I like most with the PDF file is the Technical guide. I don't see it as available for purchase from the mazda5 owner's hand book. The technical guide is the equivalent to an 'operations manual' of a machinery. It explains ihow each section and parts work.

The Workshop manual only tells you how to troubleshoot problems.

Btw the PDF file also has the Body (BCM) section. A structural guide
for the mazda5... weld areas, etc... intented for body repair businesses.

Back