Kia-Mazda Collaboration

AZDriftR said:
what car does the FE3 come in? and the SUV the FS comes in is the sportage..and isnt the sportage block cast iron not aluminum like our FS? thats what ive heard..

You wish we had an aluminum block :p

yeah the kia may not be the best car, but it has a really good platform.. they use the same motor that is located in the 1st and 2nd gen proteges. The 1.8 BP ...

there styling is not that great, but what do you want?... it's a kia.

The last car I had was a 2000 Sephia. I blew the transmission at 800 miles. The bolt holding the fluid in was installed improperly. My dad drives it now at 95,000 miles(he drives between West Palm Beach and Miami every day.) I am SUPRISED it has held together, but it has been in the shop more than any 4 year old car I've ever heard of. It felt very peppy but the interior was CHEAP and the exterior screamed econocar even after I put 17inch Niches on it. It was my first new car and I had a love/hate relationship. I wouldn't get another KIA unless they revamp their style and quality.

In 1983 Mazda enters into an 8% capital tie-up with Kia Motors.

They've been doing stuff together for a long time...

Mazda's beginning to scare me. All that s*** about sharing mechanical parts, platforms, etc. Just stick to trying to keep your cars good!

maple_leaf said:
Mazda's beginning to scare me. All that s*** about sharing mechanical parts, platforms, etc. Just stick to trying to keep your cars good!
They are. You notice the Kia runs the Mazda motor, not vice versa.

If anything, you know certain Kia's will be decent motor wise.

StuttersC said:
They are. You notice the Kia runs the Mazda motor, not vice versa.

If anything, you know certain Kia's will be decent motor wise.

still... it hints Mazda is after money and not quality... =( or maybe they are just being nice? but its a company and not a person, so i doubt it

BlueMonsta said:
still... it hints Mazda is after money and not quality... =( or maybe they are just being nice? but its a company and not a person, so i doubt it
Every company is after profits. The only times Mazda quality has actually suffered is with joint ventures with Ford, who interestingly enough, saved Mazda from a bankruptcy disaster back in the 80s...

true.... still... KIAs are crap... let em go brankrupt.... Hyundais.. have better potential then KIA... i rather they partner up with hyundias..

Yeah...Oddly enough, Hyundai didn't start getting reliable until they stopped using Mitsubishi parts.

I find that rather funny...

BlueMonsta said:
true.... still... KIAs are crap... let em go brankrupt.... Hyundais.. have better potential then KIA... i rather they partner up with hyundias..
Actualy Kia is owned by Hyundai.

if any of this is true, which is unlikely being one is japanese and the other korean, doesnt really mater to those who have a mazda now.

unless im made a good deal on a 3rd gen rx7 or 8-this is the last mazda i will own

i don't know why you guys are so worried about Mazda collaborating by giving THEIR technology TO Kia (read: Mazda TO Kia, NOT the other way around)

there's NOTHING WRONG with sharing technology.

Iconoclast said:
if any of this is true, which is unlikely being one is japanese and the other korean, doesnt really mater to those who have a mazda now.

unless im made a good deal on a 3rd gen rx7 or 8-this is the last mazda i will own

Um it is true...Mazda and Kia got into a capital tie up in 1983.

Its on a history site I found...

Then again, Ford does own 50% of Mazda, so it could be Ford beancounters saying "Hey, Mazda guys, you're brilliant.... maybe... uh, give Kia some of your stuff so they don't suck SO bad and we can SELL them!" (Ford also is a majority owner of Kia). BTW, Kia/Hyundai thing is more like Honda/Acura. Same company..... kind of..... but not really.

I think the world really needs to understand that there are only 4 major car companies in the world: FoMoCo, GM, Daimler-Crapsler, er Chrysler, and Volkswagen, and as much as it's hard to swallow, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota really are minor players in the grand scheme of things. Hell, even Toyota is partnered with GM (Corolla/Prism, Vibe/Matrix).

MSPinVA said:
Then again, Ford does own 50% of Mazda, so it could be Ford beancounters saying "Hey, Mazda guys, you're brilliant.... maybe... uh, give Kia some of your stuff so they don't suck SO bad and we can SELL them!" (Ford also is a majority owner of Kia). BTW, Kia/Hyundai thing is more like Honda/Acura. Same company..... kind of..... but not really.

I think the world really needs to understand that there are only 4 major car companies in the world: FoMoCo, GM, Daimler-Crapsler, er Chrysler, and Volkswagen, and as much as it's hard to swallow, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota really are minor players in the grand scheme of things. Hell, even Toyota is partnered with GM (Corolla/Prism, Vibe/Matrix).
it's not 50%, Ford has only enough shares in Mazda (33% iirc) to have majority control of the company. Doesn't make much difference in practice, but still an important item to point out.

and yeah, Toyota is the asian version of GM, they pretty much have the Japanese market under total control (80+% of domestic cars in Japan are Toyotas iirc)

not so certain in terms of the rest of the world though. Europeans really love Mazdas btw :)

Back