Keyless start - what is the point?

It's been a bit of an adjustment for me and my Grand Touring. I have the keyless start but not the keyless entry. I have to use the keyfob to unlock the doors and remember to put the keys back in my pocket or else I end up putting them in the middle cup holders once I've sat down. I put my foot on the brake and push the start button. Once I'm at my destination, I push the button again to stop and then have to find the keys again (in the cupholder or my pocket) to lock the doors. The other day, I went to pick up my kid at a friend's house and didn't bother to lock the doors since I was just running in to get her, but then I realized I had left them in the cupholder, so I had to go back and get them.

With a key to start the ignition, you always have the keys in your hand when you need them whether you're starting or stopping. I guess I should have opted for the advanced keyless entry. That being said, I'm sure I will get used to the process and using the key will probably become the more inconvenient method.

It's been a bit of an adjustment for me and my Grand Touring. I have the keyless start but not the keyless entry. I have to use the keyfob to unlock the doors and remember to put the keys back in my pocket or else I end up putting them in the middle cup holders once I've sat down. I put my foot on the brake and push the start button. Once I'm at my destination, I push the button again to stop and then have to find the keys again (in the cupholder or my pocket) to lock the doors. The other day, I went to pick up my kid at a friend's house and didn't bother to lock the doors since I was just running in to get her, but then I realized I had left them in the cupholder, so I had to go back and get them.

With a key to start the ignition, you always have the keys in your hand when you need them whether you're starting or stopping. I guess I should have opted for the advanced keyless entry. That being said, I'm sure I will get used to the process and using the key will probably become the more inconvenient method.
Your experience exactly mimics mine - I too have trouble keeping the fob consistently in one place during ride (same here - either pocket or cup holder).
My wife though figured out her own way to deal with it:
1. She unlocks the doors with key fob and puts it immediately back in her hand bag.
2. Then she starts and stops the car using push button
3. Here is the kicker - when she leaves the car she locks it using the button on the driver's door - no need o pull the fob out of the bag.
Works great for her, and I actually started adopting it (with the exception that I just put it back in the pocket).

It would be interesting to get ahold of wiring diagrams to see how the systems actually differs (e.g. what else other than different door handles).

Kornik,

The potential problem with your (and your wife's) plan is what happens if one time you forgot to put the keys in your pocket and leave them in the cupholder, then you lock the door as usual? Or your wife is just running in somewhere and leaves her purse in the car? It will never happen 99% of the time, but that 1% sure could ruin your day!

I am surprised that there is not a lockout prevention feature on the driver's door. I'm used to Hondas where you have to do some gyrations to lock the driver's door without using the remote or the key.

Last edited:
Many times the panic button on my previous cars have helped locate the vehicle for my wife when she drives to the mall and forgets where she parked... lol

I like my push start, but it makes you wish you have the full thing each time :) Thanks for the tip on locking the doors from the buttons on the car when exiting, sounds like a good plan.

BTW, the panic is available even on the Intelligent key system, at least here...

ARGH!!! I agree guys, it is annoying. If I would have known, I would have liked to have gotten the TECHNOLOGY Package.

I would like to update to the advanced keyless entry... Anybody think that it might be possible? Is it just a door handle swap, and another module you can add?

Last edited:
Solved the concern of locking your keys in the car by using the lock button on the door to lock on exit. Went to Home Depow, copied the key in the keyfob and bought a magnetic box to hold it. Found a spot outside the car to place it out of the airstream. So if we accidently lock the key in the car we can open the door. Now I only take the key out of my pocket to unlock the door and use the door button to lock on exit...

Solved the concern of locking your keys in the car by using the lock button on the door to lock on exit. Went to Home Depow, copied the key in the keyfob and bought a magnetic box to hold it. Found a spot outside the car to place it out of the airstream. So if we accidently lock the key in the car we can open the door. Now I only take the key out of my pocket to unlock the door and use the door button to lock on exit...

Great idea! Now which city in Georgia do you live? ;-)

Yeah, bad example recently. But how many people really look at a car with an alarm going off and at that, how many do anything about it.

The only person most likely to respond is the owner of the car in question if he's within hearing range.

ARGH!!! I agree guys, it is annoying. If I would have known, I would have liked to have gotten the TECHNOLOGY Package.

I would like to update to the advanced keyless entry... Anybody think that it might be possible? Is it just a door handle swap, and another module you can add?

i am looking for the same thing let us know if you find out

Keyless entry fobs have had panic buttons on them for years. I've got them on all of my three vehicles and probably have set it off by mistake once or twice in the last ten years. Not a major life concern.

The only advantage I can see of having the push button start but without the advanced system is that you can unlock your car and put the key back in your pocket which then leaves your hands free to open the door, etc. Not much of a plus I agree but it was probably cheaper to just put the push button start on all the vehicles. It's not really a hassle as we are used to remote key fobs already so I don't see what the problem is.

it was probably cheaper to just put the push button start on all the vehicles.

Bingo! This has got to be less expensive than a steering wheel interlock switch and much cheaper to replace when they go bad.

Bingo! This has got to be less expensive than a steering wheel interlock switch and much cheaper to replace when they go bad.

Very likely.

15 years ago, electric windows were an option.
But these days mass production lends itself to enabling electric windows to be cheaper as a single install across the board than providing wind up windows; an option that to the consumer, appears as if it would be cheaper.

In 5 years, nearly all cars will be keyless for a similar reason.

Yes, very likely and in US market, expected standard equipment includes power steering, power windows, power door locks and air conditioning, soon enough keyless systems too.

Standard on all Lexus models, maybe for that reason.

Your experience exactly mimics mine - I too have trouble keeping the fob consistently in one place during ride (same here - either pocket or cup holder).
My wife though figured out her own way to deal with it:
1. She unlocks the doors with key fob and puts it immediately back in her hand bag.
2. Then she starts and stops the car using push button
3. Here is the kicker - when she leaves the car she locks it using the button on the driver's door - no need o pull the fob out of the bag.
Works great for her, and I actually started adopting it (with the exception that I just put it back in the pocket).

It would be interesting to get ahold of wiring diagrams to see how the systems actually differs (e.g. what else other than different door handles).

This is the technique I use. My wife chooses to just lock the fob in the car.

I also can't believe there's no lockout function. But, what really blows my mind is how idiotic this feature truly is without having the smart key function (autounlock). I have the tech package and sound package on my Touring and I still have to remove the fob from my pocket just to unlock the car. It's moronic.

Test drove a CX-5 GT here in Brisbane, Australia. After reading all of these comments I was worried. But shouldn't have been. It's the same Keyless Entry entry system as my 2010 MPS3 (Mazdaspeed3). Key stays in the pocket the whole time. I dohbt the wife has seen her keys in months, they constantly live in the bottem of her handbag.

This system isnt the future, it should be standard on many cars. Can't understand why MAzda makes these kind of decisions, paying for the privilige to have a common sence key system...

thanks for the info guys.

Last edited:
Back