Keyless Entry Issues W/Aftermarket Remote Start Installation

:
2013 CX-9 Sport
I had a Viper remote start/keyless entry installed in my 2013 CX-9 Sport at Best Buy today. When I picked it up, I noticed that the factory keyless wasn't working when the remote start had the car running. After some testing, it appears that the remote start's keyless stops working after some period of time until the factory keyless has woken it back up. If I wake it up using the factory keyless first, then the remote start's remote will work for a while. If I remote start the car without having woken it using the factory keyless first, then neither the factory, nor the aftermarket keyless will unlock the car unless I shut the remote start off first. I certainly expected that both the factory and aftermarket keyless remotes would have worked properly with the remote start running.

Does anyone know what could have been hooked up wrong which would prevent this from working correctly?

I can't speak to the aftermarket remote start, but with factory remote start, the original keyless remote is disabled until the engine is shut down after starting with the remote start FOB. So I'm sure the car is treating your aftermarket RS the same way.

As for the issues with the Viper remote, I would go back to best buy and/or contact Viper tech support as they will probably know the systems better than Best Buy. Hopefully there will be someody here that has the same system and can off some insight.

I can't speak to the aftermarket remote start, but with factory remote start, the original keyless remote is disabled until the engine is shut down after starting with the remote start FOB. So I'm sure the car is treating your aftermarket RS the same way.

I know I'm just repeating what you said as a question, but so I'm clear, are you saying that with the factory remote start you are unable to remote start the car and then unlock the doors using keyless entry while the engine is running? That is very surprising to me. Is your "factory" unit truly from the factory or was it dealer installed? Do you turn the car back off and restart it once inside or just use your key to get in?

It seems like the Viper keyless is hooked up right (for the most part at least), but the car goes to sleep and then it no longer works. If I unlock with the factory fob and remote start it, then seemingly I can use the Viper fob to re-lock the doors once it's running and then when I come outside, I could use the Viper fob (only) to unlock them. I haven't thoroughly tested that scenario to say it's 100% accurate, but it seems to be.

The factory remote start serves as the keyless entry unit during remote start operation as there is an additional unlock button on the remote start remote. I would suspect the viper should be able to serve as the keyless entry system during remote start operation. Maybe just programming issue.

The factory remote start serves as the keyless entry unit during remote start operation as there is an additional unlock button on the remote start remote. I would suspect the viper should be able to serve as the keyless entry system during remote start operation. Maybe just programming issue.

The buttons built into your key do not work during remote start operation, but the buttons on the remote start's remote do. Is that correct?

Am I correct to assume that, because you have an extra remote for the remote start, your remote start is not truly factory but is a dealer-installed OEM part? If it is dealer installed and the keyless works when running, then I believe there is hope for me.

To clarify, the Mazda OEM remote start system is a dealer installed option (perhaps it could be port installed if you ordered it directly) . It DOES NOT come from the factory in Japan installed. There are threads on the forum where users have posted the wiring instruction and diagrams for the OEM system, it's pretty involved. It is a Mazda part, but does require some splicing and taps of wires. The OEM remote start comes with it's own key fobs, so you will have two on your key chain.
As for how it works, I don't have one installed so I couldn't tell ya :)

The buttons built into your key do not work during remote start operation, but the buttons on the remote start's remote do. Is that correct?

Am I correct to assume that, because you have an extra remote for the remote start, your remote start is not truly factory but is a dealer-installed OEM part? If it is dealer installed and the keyless works when running, then I believe there is hope for me.

I'm going straight off the remote starter install instructions. It doesn't matter if the dealer installed it or not it's a Mazda remote start system and with its own fob. The remote start unit unlocks and locks the doors when you remote start it, the factory keyless entry is DISABLED. I'm sure you can get the viper to do it since it's programmable.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...estartN02B.pdf

pg 21

what do you mean your car "goes to sleep"? You mean you shut the car off and lock it?

Last edited:
what do you mean your car "goes to sleep"? You mean you shut the car off and lock it?

By that I mean that the factory system permitting the Viper system to unlock seems to time out after a period of inactivity.

If I lock the doors with the factory fob, the Viper immediately will not unlock. If I unlock with the factory fob and lock with the Viper fob, it will allow me to unlock/lock with the Viper for a little while (I'd guess 30 minutes although I haven't timed it). After that, the system seems to "go back to sleep" as I was suggesting, and the Viper won't unlock anymore unless I unlock with the factory fob first to disable the anti-theft (or wake the system up).

I do see that the installation instructions you linked to clearly state that the factory keyless won't work during remote start. So as silly as that seems to me, I need to let that go.

I just spent a good amount of time browsing around online while and found a post on another forum relating to a 2012 Mazda 6 with the same issue. The proposed cause there was that the BCM is going to sleep. Their solution was to hook up the OEM disarm wire. If I'm lucky, that's the same solution for my CX-9. When I take it back to Best Buy, I will go with that piece of info in the hopes that it facilitates it getting corrected a little more quickly.

I know on some forums it's taboo to link to other forums, so I won't. But in case anyone finds this thread later on with the same issue as me, you can find that solution by Googling "2012 mazda 6 can bus sleep?" I will update here as well if/when I get my issue resolved. If anyone has additional thoughts, I certainly welcome them.

Last edited:
The installation menu at Cartoys mentions something about door lock integration module installation. Did they install one in your system? I figure by the time you add all these extra things you end up spending more money than the OEM system. It may seem weird to have to unlock the doors with one key fob and not the other but my wifes old car had an avital system that worked the same way so I don't think it's all that unusual.

The installation menu at Cartoys mentions something about door lock integration module installation. Did they install one in your system? I figure by the time you add all these extra things you end up spending more money than the OEM system. It may seem weird to have to unlock the doors with one key fob and not the other but my wifes old car had an avital system that worked the same way so I don't think it's all that unusual.

They installed a Directed Xpresskit DBALL2 which according to Directed's website is supposed to be able to handle the locks on my vehicle.

I found another thread on the same other forum as the one I referenced before (Google "2013 mazda cx9 not unlocking") and their solution is that the wrong wire was used. The DBALL2's installation instructions for my vehicle indicate a purple/white wire since it has no factory alarm. The model with an alarm uses a light green wire instead. In that post, the owner switched it to the light green wire and it worked perfectly. He indicated that the doors needed to be hooked up "analog," whatever that means. I popped off the kick panel last night and saw that it's hooked to the purple/white wire. There is a light green wire on that plug as well. I'm not trying it myself, despite confidence that I could do it right. I'm hoping to take it back there on Thursday evening with both suggestions I found to hopefully help things along and let them take it from there.

I took it back to Best Buy last night and it does appear that what I found online was correct. They switched the unlock wire from the purple/white wire to the light green wire and it seems to be working much better now. As I had seen online, it needed to be in "analog mode," whatever the hell that means. Not clear if that's a setting on the bypass or just means using the other wire. I am able to unlock and lock using the Viper fob while it is running now regardless of which fob I used last to lock it. It does go through a few steps when starting the car to wake up the BCM first including unlocking the doors for a second or so, but it re-locks them immediately. It does seem like there might be a little inconsistency in the Viper locks still, but it could be that I'm pressing too many buttons too quickly. Either way, it's working much better than before, so unless something new comes to light, I'm satisfied.

I would venture a guess that the "digital" way was that Viper was sending a "request" signal to the BCM to unlock the doors, where as the "analogue" method is controlling the door locks directly. Not sure... just a guess.

Also, just another nugget of information that may or may not apply to your Viper setup. With the factory remote start, if/when you unlock the doors (after remote starting) with the remote start remote, the doors will unlock. If a door is not physically opened within 30 seconds, then the doors will re-lock. So if you experience this, it's the BCM behaving normally.

Also, just another nugget of information that may or may not apply to your Viper setup. With the factory remote start, if/when you unlock the doors (after remote starting) with the remote start remote, the doors will unlock. If a door is not physically opened within 30 seconds, then the doors will re-lock. So if you experience this, it's the BCM behaving normally.

I did go out and start the car and unlock the doors. I sat there for a couple of minutes and they didn't lock. So, I'm assuming it won't happen for me. But, if it does, I know not to be surprised. Thanks for the info!

I haven't read this thread carefully but do have the Viper remote starter on my CX9 2010 GT. I have never had an issue with remote start interfering with keyless entry as far as I can recall. I use both iphone app or remote fob to start car. Either locks the doors if unlocked and then starts vehicle. When I get to the car either the remote unlock or pressing the drivers door lock button unlocks driver door.

Back